Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

teenage student pilot + 2 friends + twin + night + overcast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    FWIW:

As a side note, in the 737 sim I also survived an engine fire during rotation, a windshear during approach, and a TCAS RA.
    Now that sounds like fun!

Comment

You bet.
      It was, by far, the best birthday present I've ever got, and chances are that it will remain at the top of the charts forever.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Watching the History Channel show "Ice Pilots NWT", if I'm not mistaken the rampies jonesing for a shot at the right-hand seat practise with MSFS.

Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
          Watching the History Channel show "Ice Pilots NWT", if I'm not mistaken the rampies jonesing for a shot at the right-hand seat practise with MSFS.

Arrow
          I saw that episode. It's been a while- but something told me it was a "genuine FAA-approved" "simulator"

Yes, it was PC-based/no motion whatsoever- I saw the computer- but the yoke and something else looked more official.

I also think they may have had a panel of switches and perhaps maybe something a little more sophisticated that really required you to use DC-3 procedures.

As much as I love MSFS (and even though I've started the engines on an MSFS airliner), I really have no clue of the right procedures- and that's what you'd really need to know if you were trying to get checked out....procedures and the ability to fly the airplane well.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
            ...But if we're talking about a true non-pilot who's only flight experience is MSFS...

... See JFK Jr., who had quite a bit of experience but couldn't handle a fairly simple problem and screwed the pooch...
            I agree that I have some bias- I got a private license and THEN learned MSFS

I do not agree that JFK is an example of "how hard it is".

I don't think he crashed because of a lack of training or a lack of experience. I think he crashed because he made a big mistake of not watching his instruments. Sure, maybe it was that brief, insidious lapse in attention that old pilots respect more than younger ones, but given the hours of instrument training he had- keeping the plane right side up should have been within his skill set.

Instrument training is very complex. The critical control skills during the final 500 feet on an ILS where the needles become sensitive, interpreting and following ADFs, Nailing holds, procedure turns, partial panel, interpreting which instrument has failed, navigation, working radios, communcating. Keeping the plane right side up- yeah it's a challenge- but it's also kind of basic/fundamental and one of the easier things to do.

I have 10 hours of instrument training. I had my sunny day disorientation incident and adoped a mantra, "PAY ATTENTION TO THE INSTRUMENTS FOOL!" After a fair bit of work, and a lot of partial panel, I finally got to fly in true clouds. Keeping the plane right side up was relatively easy.

Precise altitude and heading, and looking up the approach plate all at the same time...That was hard as hell. But keeping the plane right side up was kind of basic.

I know I benefitted from some training with real seat of the pants feelings, but I still think you could put someone in MSFS, remind them that there will be all sorts of crazy feelings- royally screw up the 'plane' and turn it back to them- and let them recover. If you can do that to a fake computer plane- could you maybe overcome the horrific feeling that you are in a 20 degree bank in a real plane?
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by mawheatley View Post
              Well with the boy being 15 and both of his parents being 32 I'm making the (I know, dangerous!) assumption that nobody on board was, shall we say, at the top of the intellectual heap! Especially as none of them had seen him fly! Contenders for the Darwin awards?
              I wish you were at the airport that day. Maybe you could have stopped them from making the mistake of flying with no training. Now that I think about it, you probably wouldn't have said anything, looking down your nose at them for being a young family. You may have even thought it was cool, that a younger kid was PIC, and whoever was in the right seat was an instructor. Problem is, if nothing looks out of place, it doesn't get caught until its too late. Well, that is if your super intellectual judgmental skills that help you know everything about people you've never met didn't save everyone's lives. I can't tell, I don't know you at all. I will say its tragic, and the parents perhaps could have been more involved in the boys training. Or maybe they were. Hard tellin' not knowin', right?

Comment

With the appropiate peripherals and extra software MSFS X is an amazing simulator, out of the box it's junk. Planes climb like they are spaceshuttles and you can land so hard it would rip the l.g.

But I do think it's pretty sweet when everything is set with the proper equipment.

Still you will ALWAYS lack the "butt feeling" of flying a real plane. And of course the lack of Pause key
                AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

I Fly the 747-8 Simulator about once a month on avg and sometimes 2 - 3 times a month, I can hand fly the ILS or set up full ILS Cat3 approaches with the autoflight system. Ive flown the 777 and the 737 sims. In the Navy I had a lot of flight time in the P3 Simulator Both as an FE and the fact my Pilots wanted me to train to land just in case.

Ive got about 25 Wasted hours towards a PP (due to Wife hating airplanes and I just had started right before we got married)

I wouldn't dare even try it in the real thing even with a boeing instructor pilot with me (Whom have said in the Sim I would do well enough in the real thing) due to the Pucker factor of Screwing up.

The only way I would even attempt it is if there was no other option (IE Both Pilots incapacitated and no Commercial Pilots on board). How ever if there were commercial rated aboard without the Type A/C FMC experience I would be glad to assist with the flight planning part

Comment

Working...
                  X