Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pacoperez View Post
    Pilot suffered a heart attack maybe?
    But then does nobody outside the cockpit have a password to open the door? Really?
    You would have thought both pilots would have access to the code for this very reason? Secondly if they both have the code, then there was a deliberate act by the captain inside to keep the F/O outside....hmmm....

Comment

• BEA: FO initiated descent by keying attitude selector. CPT at door, knocked, no response. Noise of human breathing heard until impact. ATC calls ignored.
      AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
      the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
        What I am finding difficult is coping with speculation on the AH website in advance of information either preliminary or confirmed but only related to prejudice and stereotypes.
        GIven the recent surge of nationalism in Germany and xenophobia in France, you can expect the racial speculation to blossom rapidly now. Either the BEA or the German authorities must release a statement asap to contain this. Their reticence on co-pilot details has me worried that race or ethnicity may be involved and is only fueling such speculation. 'German national' does not mean 'blue-eyed Aryan'. If this was a murdercide and the pilot-flying turns out to be of a certain non-Aryan persuasion, this PEGIDA thing is going to explode and a lot of innocent people are going to become the target. I sincerely hope this is not the case.

Comment

• It is on the local news now ... FO crashed the plane intentionally, and the Captain was locked out of the cockpit. They claim this was confirmed by French authorities.

Comment

• BBC now reporting:
            The co-pilot of the Germanwings flight that crashed into the French Alps took sole control of plane and intentionally started the descent, officials say.
            French prosecutors, citing information from the cockpit voice recorder said the pilot had just left the cockpit and had been unable to re-enter it.
            Whether intent was to crash or to just get to lower altitude isn't mentioned but will hopefully be made clear in due course once the investigation continues. Just hearing on the radio some more information saying copilot was conscious at all times and was refusing to allow entry, but that's not mentioned on the BBC online news [yet].

Has there been a clear answer as to whether the 2nd data recorder has been found? I'd heard that the casing had but the electronic contents were missing, but that may have been a mistranslation as another report had interpreted it as that the mounting was found but the box was missing, which sounds more hopeful - if the electronics had been smashed out of the casing they're not likely to be usable...

edit: BBC article now updated to be more specific:
            The co-pilot of the Germanwings flight that crashed into the French Alps wanted to "destroy the plane", French investigators have said.

Comment

• Okay, I will ask. What is the religious background of the FO? The Marseilles prosecutor chose not to answer the question when asked about names, nationality and ethnicity. Totally moved onto talking about the cockpit door.

Comment

• Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
                Okay, I will ask. What is the religious background of the FO? The Marseilles prosecutor chose not to answer the question when asked about names, nationality and ethnicity. Totally moved onto talking about the cockpit door.
                German, Caucasian... Religion at this stage is unknown. I'm thinking mental illness.
                AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Andreas Lubitz (german national) is a name floated by French and Czech media, citing the prosecutor as the source.

EDIT:
                  12h51 - "Pas répertorié comme terroriste"

Il est de "nationalité allemande" et n'est "pas répertorié comme terroriste". Son nom est "Andreas Lubitz", épelle le procureur de Marseille.
                  Deux jours après l'horreur du crash de l'Airbus A320, plusieurs familles de victimes se sont rendues sur les lieux de la catastrophe, où ont péri 150 personnes. Le procureur a annoncé que le copilote, Andreas Lubitz a "eu une volonté de détruire l'avion". Remontez le fil des événements de la journée...

Comment

• I read that the entire fleet subscribes to ACARS system. If that is true, even without the FDR we should have enough data to confirm any decompression or other major emergency, right?

I would suspect at this point they have enough info with voice recorder to focus on the FO as the cause of this crash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      I am seriously starting to wonder if these secure doors cause more death than they avoid.
                      Clearly, the current door lock scheme is a risk in itself and has to be rethought. I suggested long ago that either pilot should have a code that is different from the cabin crew and cannot be overridden. That still doesn't solve the problem of the deadbolt though. The only real solution is to concentrate on the pressure doors: we must keep nafarious threats on the outside of them. Providing a means to lock the captain out of his own flight deck was always a fools errand.

The cabin crew member in the cockpit policy is just as worrisome. Cabin crew are probably less scrutinized than pilots and more apt to be nafarious... and there's an axe and two ropes in there!

Comment

• Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
                        Okay, I will ask. What is the religious background of the FO?
                        I dunno. If I had been that pilot - it is easy to look up and see I was christened and married in Church and was a Governor of a Church School. So am i a Christian who believes in re-incarnation, and will live again?

A deeper investigation would show I am an atheist. But then many people ascribe beliefs to atheists I do not share. If the background and motivations of the FO are relevant then, I fear a deep and lengthy investigation may, and only may, reveal intention. Or there may be a suicide note somewhere revealing all. We, and that probably includes all the officials, simply haven't a clue at this time. Live with it and be patient.

Methinks CFIT are a lot harder to investigate and even get a reliable answer than technical failure. Find the latter and you can fix it. The former is likely to be just a bottomless pit of confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
                          Methinks CFIT are a lot harder to investigate and even get a reliable answer than technical failure. Find the latter and you can fix it. The former is likely to be just a bottomless pit of confusion.
                          For *deliberate* CFIT I agree. That goes into the realm of psychology which is an inexact science - especially when practiced in hindsight with a deceased patient.

On the other hand, most CFIT accidents are things like navigational errors resulting in aircraft attempting to fly through granite, and in those cases it's usually pretty easy to determine the first-level cause such as "navigational error". Of course figuring out *why* the navigational error was made can be more difficult.
                          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• There is no longer any need for the FDR to be found. The aircraft was not at fault. I realize this comes as a disappointment to the scarebus cult. Immediate reparations must be made to the pilot screening and vigilance policies. Oh, wait, sorry, that moment was actually one year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              Immediate reparations must be made to the pilot screening and vigilance policies.
                              It's quite possible that improvements can be made, but no such process is infallible.

Some homicidal maniacs are easy to identify (before they commit a homicidal act), others can be identified with intense scrutiny, and others simply cannot. One such person comes to mind that in 1933 managed to convince millions of people that he was sane...
                              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                                German, Caucasian... Religion at this stage is unknown. I'm thinking mental illness.
                                Or a SilkAir-like repeat?

Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X