"cactus" or "USAirways"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "cactus" or "USAirways"

So i started listening to ATC chatter in the USA after a long time and i noticed that i hear the "Cactus" callsign a lot in PHX. This used to be the callsign for America West Airlines (which was eaten up by USAir not too long ago). Initially i thought it was the callsign of Mesa Airlines but that doesnt seem to be the case since they fly express aircraft and the callsign was being used by a 319/320.

My question is what airline is using the "Cactus" callsign? If it is Usairways then how can they use two callsigns?

regards,
    Saurabh

America West Pilots/Aircrafts, basically US Airways (Wast) are using Cactus call sign while US Airways (East) are using the Call Sign US Airways.

They will continue to do so until they merge the certif and such.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Ahh guess that will be more complicated once United merges with them. Then there will be three callsigns.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel
        So i started listening to ATC chatter in the USA after a long time and i noticed that i hear the "Cactus" callsign a lot in PHX. This used to be the callsign for America West Airlines (which was eaten up by USAir not too long ago).
        Saurabh
        It was America West that absorbed US Air. Because the US Air name was better known, the US Air was selected as the name of the combined airline. I think part of the problem associated with the merger is the name selection. It confuses things.
        Don
        Standard practice for managers around the world:
        Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

The same happened in Canada whereby Pacific Western Airlines bought the larger CP Air. Pacific Western went by the wayside as its name was geographically limiting and wasn't known around the world like CP Air (Canadian Pacific Airlines).

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
            The same happened in Canada whereby Pacific Western Airlines bought the larger CP Air. Pacific Western went by the wayside as its name was geographically limiting and wasn't known around the world like CP Air (Canadian Pacific Airlines).
            When did "Empress" disappear - I ask because I think when CP Air became Canadian Airlines, the latter was using "Canadian".

Comment

So, when will the whole thing be resolved? I think that is not kosher that they are operating under two seperate call signs. Isn't it about time that the management of the entity stop this foolishness?
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                So, when will the whole thing be resolved? I think that is not kosher that they are operating under two seperate call signs. Isn't it about time that the management of the entity stop this foolishness?
                The FAA has approved the two separate call signs. At his point the labor groups are getting in the way-the integration has not been pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                  The FAA has approved the two separate call signs. At his point the labor groups are getting in the way-the integration has not been pretty.
                  There is no need for FAA approval.

The America West certificate is alive and well on the west side and using the "Cactus" callsign.

The US Airways Certificate is alive in the east and will uses the "USAir" callsign.

The pilot groups and airline has still not yet been merged onto one certificate.
                  Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

Originally posted by N9103M
                    The pilot groups and airline has still not yet been merged onto one certificate.
                    And by this rate - both the UA/US and NW/DL and even (for the sake of levity) the QF/AA groups will be merged onto their one certificates before the US/HP merger. I think that the DOT, and stockholders should block the merger, b/c it has the greater potential to end the lives of 3 carriers, rather than the slimmer potential of maintaining one large carrier.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by N9103M
                      There is no need for FAA approval.

The America West certificate is alive and well on the west side and using the "Cactus" callsign.

The US Airways Certificate is alive in the east and will uses the "USAir" callsign.

I believe they merged the certificate somewhere around September:

http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DS...US+AIRWAYS+INC

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays
                        When did "Empress" disappear - I ask because I think when CP Air became Canadian Airlines, the latter was using "Canadian".
                        After the PW/CP amalgamation "Canadian" was the preferred call, however on the International flights it was "Empress" for a bit as the pilots were all from CP. You would still hear "Empress" on some domestic flights, but they all went to "Canadian" after a little while. With the amalgamation with Air Canada "Empress" and "Canadian" ceased immediately.

Comment

I noticed the other day an A319 with opperating as AWE**** flew PHL-SFO. Usually the "US Airways" routes, such as CLT, PHL, RDU, ect, are opperated by US aircraft/crews, and use USA****. While PHX and LAS are still HP crews/aircraft. Are they finally starting to intergrate?
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Well, I was talking to a guy I know and do some freelance work for who flies West metal (A32X) and he told me he did PHX-CLT-BOS or something similar the other day. I was a little surprised, and I guess that does lead me to believe that US/AW is finally beginning to be a united carrier.

Comment

Working...
                            X