Global Warming likely to double the chances of plane turbulence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming likely to double the chances of plane turbulence

Flying across the North Atlantic could get a lot more turbulent in the future if the climate changes as scientists expect, a new study suggests.

The study, published in Nature Climate Change, suggests that by mid-century passengers will be bounced around more frequently and more strongly.

The zone in the North Atlantic affected by turbulence could also increase.

Reading's Dr Paul Williams said comfort was not the only consideration; there were financial consequences of bumpier airspace as well.

"It's certainly plausible that if flights get diverted more to fly around turbulence rather than through it then the amount of fuel that needs to be burnt will increase," he told BBC News.
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

I like the bumps, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
      Me too, knowing that no modern jetliner has ever went down due to bumps, I like the bumps, they are like roller coaster rides(of course, thats when everyone has seatbelts on.)

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
        Yep. Makes you feel like you're getting somewhere - you know, actually moving!
        Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

My dream flight would be fly on a P3 checking out a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
            Me too, knowing that no modern jetliner has ever went down due to bumps, I like the bumps, they are like roller coaster rides(of course, thats when everyone has seatbelts on.)
            That depends on how you define "bumps".

In 1966, a BOAC 707 crashed while flying near Mt. Fuji in Japan. The cause was determined to be in-flight breakup due to turbulence caused by winds passing over/around the mountain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOAC_Flight_911
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

One of the first things you're taught in gliding is never, ever get on the lee side of a wave. The rotor turbulence can break the glider.

Comment

Working...
              X