Shameless FAA Propaganda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shameless FAA Propaganda

This car vs. plane safety comparison is the kind of joke that would make Agitprop blush. Utterly dishonest..

By the way, want to see the airline industry totally shut down? Tell people to stay off those dangerous roads. Why would this be the death knell. Practically everything of value produced anywhere in the world is made by workers who use those "dangerous roads" to get to their place of work. Does anyone in love with commercial aviation ever mention that? No. Why RUIN a beautiful lie with a tawdry mundane fact.

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
    This car vs. plane safety comparison is the kind of joke that would make Agitprop blush. Utterly dishonest..

By the way, want to see the airline industry totally shut down? Tell people to stay off those dangerous roads. Why would this be the death knell. Practically everything of value produced anywhere in the world is made by workers who use those "dangerous roads" to get to their place of work. Does anyone in love with commercial aviation ever mention that? No. Why RUIN a beautiful lie with a tawdry mundane fact.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Best answer? Well, that's too bad. I was just thinking of how we could level the field. Make all planes fly at exactly the same altitude. Take the safety equipment away. Narrow the lanes in which they fly, making about 95 per cent of the air unavailable. And let the huge freighter planes fly a few feet from the private planes in opposite directions. And then let half the pilots take off at least two sheets to the wind.

That'd be fun to watch. The marvel isn't how many die on the highway. It is how few. And as I said, the world doesn't depend on the air lanes. It depends on the roads, without which we wouldnt really need planes. Now many of you have a landing strip at work? So you can fly from where you sleep to exactly where you work.

Kinda embarrassing, no?

Comment

One more condition. Replace thousands of planes in the air with about 500 million planes! Now we're approaching a fair comparison.

Comment

Kinda embarrassing, no?
          Yep it is for you. Maybe you should stop? The people laughing are not admiring your wit, brains and charisma, and fabulous sense of humour - they are laughing at you.

Comment

Did some calculations using 2006 data. 43,400 fatalities in 2006. 251 million cars. 11,600 average annual miles driven. That's 9.3 trillion miles. And the number of deaths per mile is .000000015. Multiply that by the 5 miles I drive to work (not being able to board an airliner) and that's .000000075 chances of dying. Roads are REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY risky.

Comment

EC, I can not believe you are being SO stupid.

Why level the field?
              Airplanes are airplanes. Cars are cars.
              You don't take an airplane downtown, and you dont drive New York -London.

Now do you really want to levle the field?
              Ok, then make cars go nearly at the speed of the sound, but not faster because they break nor slower because they spin. Make the road under them move in some times violent and unanticipated ways. Remove the brakes. Just to begin with, ok?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

I'm trying to work out....

1. What started this thread.

2. Where it's going.

and most importantly....

3. Why ?
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

EC, you seem to be missing the point. When the airline industry shows comparisons between aviation safety and vehicular safety, they are not presenting a comparison of options in reaching a given destination. They are providing a relative comparison of risk to give perspective. By showing you that flying in an airplane is statistically as safe or safer than driving to work, they are providing you a perspective by which to understand how safe it is. Because plane crashes, however rare, are so traumatizing to the public, they need to provide this perspective to overcome the illusion that flying is an unreasonably dangerous mode of transportation. Statistically, your chances of dying in an airplane are less than those of dying in a car accident, get it? It's very safe. Nobody is suggesting that you take a 767 to the corner store.

Originally posted by EconomyClass
                  By the way, want to see the airline industry totally shut down?
                  um... no.

I would like to see the car vs plane debate totally shut up.

Comment

Gabriel: Read "The Decline of Socialization" You are a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      I'm trying to work out....

1. What started this thread.
                      That's easy, Brian - EC's fear of flying.

2. Where it's going.
                      Also easy - nowhere.

3. Why ?
                      Also easy, part 3 - he's obsessed with trying to spoil the fun for everybody else

Comment

Gabriel: Read "The Decline of Socialization" You are a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.
                        Ok, EC, you are right.
                        Planes are unacceptably unsafe. After all, if everybody flown his 747 to the supermarket there sould be lots of airplanes crashes and deaths.
                        I will stop flying after realizing that, and al airplanes should be grounded until this issue can be solved.
                        And, mental note, I must quit trying to be logical with ilogical people.
                        But because I always try to be logical, this means this is my last replay to you.
                        Not that you care a lot about that, I know.

Oh, and a final note.
                        I am 100% sure that you are going to die.

Comment

I think if we limited all flying to blimps we could greatly reduce the slaughtered masses by air disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by deadstick View Post
                            i think if we limited all flying to blimps we could greatly reduce the slaughtered masses by air disaster.
                            Hindenburg!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                              Hindenburg!!!!!
                              Dirigable.

Comment

Working...
                              X