Minimum runway length (meters) for Boeing 737-500 /-700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum runway length (meters) for Boeing 737-500 /-700

As i am going on a vacation with my girlfriend with Maersk Air charter from CPH to JKH, we are flying to the fairly small airport with a runwaylength of 1500 meters.

As my girlfriend is a little affraid of flying, i would like to know if they are gonna brake very hard when we land?

I was told that SDU/SBRJ was the airport with the shortest runway in the world that can handle a 737 (-300/-500/-700)

Runway 20L/02R is 4341 feet long (1323 meters)

There's an overview of the airport (sorry for the plug :P )

[photoid=239856]

So I think that a runway 1500m long will handle the 737 very well.

Comment

I thank you for the reply, but how will it feel compared to a usual 2600 meter runway, will it need to brake hard ?

Comment

Depends on where the pilots lands the plane. You realize that even if their is a 10,000ft runway the actual used for landing is only round 5,000ft. Less taxi time saves money so they probably use the same autobrake setting no matter what. I've felt a maximum braking effort on a rejected take-off in a CRJ. They actually aren't as bad as one might imagine. But you really do realize the stopping power of a the brakes on aircraft after its done.
        Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by Bilingual
          I thank you for the reply, but how will it feel compared to a usual 2600 meter runway, will it need to brake hard ?
          I guess it would depend on the weight of the a/c (pax+cargo) but I'm not a pilot so I cannot answer that... perhaps anyone here whith flying experience could confirm that.

Comment

In the U.S., certain runway combinations are approved for land and hold short operations (LAHSO) -- a plane could land on a certain runway and hold short on an intersecting runway. This procedure allows for increased airport capacity.

The minimum runway distance before intersection for a 737 (regardless of type) to conduct LAHSO is 6000 feet -- so stopping stopping on a 1500 meter runway should not be a problem.

MPL

Comment

According to MCA (Modern Commercial Airplanes) the 737- 500 needs about 4700 ft length. But not to worry, I have seen 737's rool in and out of there with no problum. Besides at SBRJ Heavys have landed there, the concorde!, 747's. So my "theroy" for airports is, If a 747 can do it, theres a big chance the ploane im on/going to take will do it.
              -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                Besides at SBRJ Heavys have landed there, the concorde!, 747's. So my "theroy" for airports is, If a 747 can do it, theres a big chance the plane im on/going to take will do it.
                No no. You are talking about SBGL/GIG that has two runways 10-28 is 4000m long and 15-33 3200m long.

SBRJ/SDU is much smaller and the largest a/c she can handle is the 737-300 and the 737-700.

Comment

That airport up there was in a james bond movie, moonraker
                  -Kevin

Comment

735/73G landing distance

Hi all:

Being a frequent 737 rider (read flight attendant), I can tell you that Southwest has/does operate(d) on some short runways. Hopefully this will help.

We actually landed a 73G on a ferry flight at KRDG on Rwy 18/36, due to the ILS 13/31 being INOP. Rwy 18/36 at RDG is 5151x150, and we stopped before the 2000 foot remaining marker with normal braking.

We also carry out routine ops at Chicago-Midway and never have problems. More problems happen on heavy takeoffs, but winglets should negate some of that. Midways three "air carrier" runways are 6522x150, 6446x150, 5507x150, and 5141x150.

Also, Southwest used to serve Detroit City Airport (KDET). Never landed there but shes 5090x100... =) Makes me smile thinking about it. One of our veteran captains did tell me he landed on 7/25 at DET, which is a whopping 4025x100..dont know if theres any truth to that! =)

My shortest (and most exciting) takeoff has to be from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. After dropping off some troops on a charter in our 73G (WL), we lined up on Rwy 36 did a short-field takeoff from the back of the displaced threshold. The DT at LSE is 936' long, and I can tell you, we rotated just past the runway number and piano keys.
                    Brad Kostelny
                    Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant
                    BWI Inflight Base [PIT Commuter]

Comment

Minimum runway length (meters) for Boeing 737-500 /-700

It is widely known that Hollywood movies tend to ignore the facts about aviation. Even if they landed a 747 there in a movie, it never happened in reality, and it could have never happened. Had a 747 tried to land at SDU/SBRJ, it would have overshot the runway and made a dive a la "Airport 79". It can't be done.

-Colin

Comment

I would imagine the guys will be a little firm on the brakes.

When I'm going into a short field, I always use maximum braking, and reverse if its available. When I was in the jet, anything less the 5000 ft I'd really hammer them, and spool the engines way up in reverse to make sure I was going to get the thing stopped. When I knew I didn't need all that energy out there, I'd ease off a bit. Also did the same thing in windy conditions, and max reverse in the rain or snow.

In the turboprop, I use max disc on almost every landing, but only use reverse if its nasty out.

Its always better to let the pax eat the seat in front of them rather than give them a trip off the end of a runway.
                        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Re: Minimum runway length (meters) for Boeing 737-500 /-700

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                          It is widely known that Hollywood movies tend to ignore the facts about aviation. Even if they landed a 747 there in a movie, it never happened in reality, and it could have never happened. Had a 747 tried to land at SDU/SBRJ, it would have overshot the runway and made a dive a la "Airport 79". It can't be done.

-Colin
                          I had that airport cinfused with another one. They didnt TRY to land a 747, a DC-6 took off. But I thought that one was Rio's International airport!
                          -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                          X