X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Goes Airbus

Hello All,

After 10 years on the Boeing 767 it is now time for a change. On August 13 I commence my endorsement course on the Airbus A320.

While I'm on the course I will try to post what I have found interesting from an ex-Boeing driver's point of view.

I have two trip remaining on the 767, I will certainly miss it!

Originally posted by AJ View Post
    Hello All,

After 10 years on the Boeing 767 it is now time for a change. On August 13 I commence my endorsement course on the Airbus A320.

While I'm on the course I will try to post what I have found interesting from an ex-Boeing driver's point of view.

I have two trip remaining on the 767, I will certainly miss it!
    You will miss it!

Those who love Boeing's philosophy tend to not like Airbus' one.
    While I know no one personally, I've heard several times stories about pilots saying that they would not like (or even accept) fly an Airbus. I've never heard the opposite case (not that they don't exist).

I am curious about the change. Can you share with us what's behind the curtains? Just needing a change? New airline? Changing from FO in the 767 to PIC in the 320?

While the A320 is more modern than 767, if it's in the same airline, same position, and same money, it looks like a sort of down-grade. I know that Aerolíneas 747 pilots didn't want to switch to the A340, and the same with Austral MD-80 pilots switching to the E190. In these cases they had no choice because the airlines got rid of the older models.

In any event, I wish you the best with this new challenge.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It's for an upgrade to Captain within the Qantas Group.

Thanks Gabriel!

Comment

Hi AJ
        Does this mean you could be flying the A380 a bit further down the line?
        Good luck with the course, hope all goes well
        Regards
        René

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          It's for an upgrade to Captain within the Qantas Group.

Thanks Gabriel!
          Very well then!!!

The little segment from 4:29 to 4:47 is dedicated to you!!!

AIRPLANE! is a remake of ZERO HOUR, the 1957 movie. Here are some scenes from the two films.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

The Boeing 767 is one amazing machine. Too bad your going with Airbus, then again just the feeling of flying is great so it makes no difference.
            Hope you can get back to Boeing one day AJ and get some more smashing shots!
            Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

I think I've posted this before but what the hell....here it is again.....Try surviving this in a Boeing !!!

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden vocalist), is taken for a demo ride of the A320 for a Discovery Channel documentary. Bruce shows off the computerized FLCS of th...
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                I think I've posted this before but what the hell....here it is again.....Try surviving this in a Boeing !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBAB...e_gdata_player
                Saw that the other day
                Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Just remember, AJ, these tricks only work in normal law.

The envelope protection is there NOT to use it, but just in case. Pulling up hard just because you know this plane can't stall is not wise. It can stall. Or ask Air France. I guess that one has to be extra-careful not to fall in the primary / back-up inversion trap in a plane that "takes care" of so many things by itself.

This plane can save you from your mistakes, but it still takes a "real" pilot to save the plane from its "mistakes".

Comment

Congratulations on achieving pilot status AJ, I'm sure you're excited to begin flying in a new type, going from the yoke to the sidestick would be a different feeling for sure.

Comment

If you want to go up, pull up.

If you want to go up a lot, pull up hard.

If you are going kind of slow and want to go up, pulll up.

If you are going kind of slow and want to go up a lot, pull up hard.

...and should someone ever mindlessly and reletlessly pull up- No hay problemo!

To hell with all of Gabriel's BS about background knowledge regarding AOA and interactions of pitch, airspeed, attitude and direction of flight...IRRELEVANT!
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Try surviving this in a Boeing !!!
                        Yeah, it might require you to have fundamental airmanship knowledge.
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Try surviving this in a Boeing !!!
                          Ok, that system would have saved the Pinnacle 41 OH guys, although we have to remember that they didn't have a big problem recovering from the stall, it's just too bad that the engines flamed out and they did a bad job restarting them.

...and that system would have saved Colgan.

And, although Pinnacle and Colgan had totally effective stick shakers and pushers, it seemed that Colgan- in particular- did not care AT ALL about the stick pusher.

I guess a Boeing FBW system could stop the input at critical bank and AOA's, but still operate without the totally trim-free, think for you control input logic that Airbus uses....

It's not the 'envelope protection' that bugs me- it's that dang TOY joystick....pull up till you like your attitude and then neutralize the stick...you really could fly with push buttons like on the beer commercial!

[/3-post rant] ....I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                            Ok, that system would have saved the Pinnacle 41 OH guys,
                            ...and that system would have saved Colgan.
                            But it didn't save Air France.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              But it didn't save Air France.
                              But, after watching the youtube, my toughts on Air France have changed slightly.

No longer do I think, "Oh my word, how in the hell would you EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER do something like continuously pulling up full-stick-back"

It still bugs me deeply to know that someone would do such a thing, but I can start to see how it could happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X