UPS Cargo Jet Crashes Near Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Airbus would disagree with you on that (they say >1000fpm beyond the FAP =go around). Especially if you do not have the airspeed available to arrest that sink rate when you are falling through the glidepath (see recent events). I hope we don't have another case of falling through here...
    And in what way does this conflict with what I've said?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
      Some photos from the NTSB.

NTSB Investigators on scene UPS1354 by NTSBgov, on Flickr
      I am not an expert in this kind of analysis, but this fan doesn't seem to have been turning at impact.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

A brief summary from the NTSB's press conference.

The aircraft began hitting trees about 200 yards before the main impact.

The forward section of the aircraft broke off, the wings and tail traveled another 80 yards from the point of impact. Due to fire, they haven't recovered the data recorders yet.

There was no distress call that the NTSB is aware of. (Obviously the CVR will confirm or contradict this.)

It passed over houses after the initial tree strikes, but before impact. Weather at the time was good, 10 mile visibility.

And all the usual idiots are already saying it was a bomb or a missile that terrorists smuggled out of Benghazi.

Comment

UPS Flight 1354 crashed in a field near the airport and claimed the lives of two pilots .

Comment

A third incident centered on the final stages of landing without an obvious weather challenge.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              And in what way does this conflict with what I've said?
              You're assuming that high VS in the last four minutes occurred before the FAF?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                A third incident centered on the final stages of landing without an obvious weather challenge.
                Pretty much the same possibilities as the Asiana crash save one or two.

Fuel problem (starvation, contamination, etc)
                Engine failure not related to fuel
                On board fire (not that I trust the so called "witnesses")
                Flight control failure
                Some other equipment failure
                Pilot error/CFIT

Comment

Originally posted by Dispatch Dog View Post
                  Crew found some hundred yards from fuselage yet cockpit looks outwardly intact. The floor must have been ripped away. Horrible.

RIP
                  That is an amazingly gruesome thought.

Wonder if the first responders finished them off.

Comment

That was an early report and others have said they were found in the cockpit so take all stories like that with the same skepticism as whatever the "eye witnesses" said.

Comment

ASHVILLE, TN (WSMV-AP) -

A pilot from Tennessee was one of the two crew members on a UPS cargo plane that crashed and burned near the Birmingham, AL, airport.

Family members confirm that Shanda Fanning, 37, of Lynchburg, TN, was one of the crew members on board UPS Flight 1354 from Louisville, KY, that crashed about one-half mile from the runway about 5 a.m.

The identity of her crew mate has not been released.

The crash scattered boxes and charred debris across the grassy field outside the airport, officials said.

The pilot and co-pilot of the Airbus A300 widebody jet were pronounced dead at the scene, said Birmingham Fire Chief Ivor Brooks. The crash site had been burning, but the blaze was extinguished by late morning, Brooks said.

Comment

I don't see too many cargo containers around, I guess the aircraft was almost empty.
                        A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Wind shear? Or has some info release contradicted that? When I was thinking about Asiana, I thought about wind shear. Asiana would have dropped further with wind shear, but that crash in Dallas was caused by it, and I don't think it is something visible to instruments (invitation to a knowledgeable person to say I'm wrong). It is down south, after all, and it is summer. They get cranky weather in that region.

Comment

The NTSB said the weather was good, only some light rain.

There are wind shear detection devices on aircraft, and I would assume this A300 had it. Also, many airports have wind shear detection equipment and I'm sure that is one of the first things the NTSB would check.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              You're assuming that high VS in the last four minutes occurred before the FAF?
                              No, why? Sorry, but I really don't understand.

Basically, I've said that such VS is neither typical nor crazy either, but that you would't use it so low.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                No, why? Sorry, but I really don't understand.

Basically, I've said that such VS is neither typical nor crazy either, but that you would't use it so low.
                                What's the debate?

As I think through this- the FAF is typically the outer marker.

...and it's often about three or less minutes out (~5 or 6 miles out and roughly 1,600 feet high- do the math on typical speeds and descent rates).

So, some serious diving to get down and then the final four minutes is nice and gentle (assuming you didn't build a bunch of speed in that dive)...

I'm liking Gabriel's description- that doesn't sound normal, but neither does it sound wrong, and if I'm following Evan- the Airbus would work with you on something like this???

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X