Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Highkeas is referring to a 'report' (no source given despite my requests) that this altered flight plan was received via ACARS before the flight departed. I think that means the new flight plan would appear in the FMS.
    Again, where are you reading Highkeas saying that? What I see is this:

It is now being reported that the turn back towards Maylasia was programed in to the "autopilot" before the pilots left the Malaysia ATC. This update to the flight plan was sent via ACARS about 12 minutes before the sign-off.
    And we had this from the timeline:
    1:07 - ACARS last transmission (thru VHF) which apparently includes notation of a WP change having been entered into system since last scheduled report at 12:37
    - 1:11 - INMARSAT ping would have been received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
    - 1:19 - 'Alright, Good Night' at handover (supposedly by co-pilot)
    - 1:22 - Transmitter goes off
    Connect the dots: What I see in the timeline and is consistent with what Highkeas is saying is that there was a waypoint added or changed, presumably in the FMS and presumably by one of the pilots, and that this changed was reported by the ACARS to the ground in its scheduled report of 1:07, so the change happened after the previous report of 12:37.

With that, the change/addition of waypoint could have happened say at anytime between 12:37 and 1:07, say (just for the sake of it) 1:07, and 12 minutes later (1:19) the pilot is handed over, says "Good night", turns off the transponder, and the plane turns left, presumably responding to the new waypoint entered / modified in the FMS that I am guessing was added after the waypoint that would mark the change in FIR (airspace).

I don't see a flight plan being recived by the plane via ACARS nowhere (rather, the change was reported by the plane via ACARS), nor any mention to a change in the plan being made before take-off (rather, 12 minutes before sign-off which means, I gess, hand over from one ATC to the other)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Again, where are you reading Highkeas saying that? What I see is this:

And we had this from the timeline:

Connect the dots: What I see in the timeline and is consistent with what Highkeas is saying is that there was a waypoint added or changed, presumably in the FMS and presumably by one of the pilots, and that this changed was reported by the ACARS to the ground in its scheduled report of 1:07, so the change happened after the previous report of 12:37.

With that, the change/addition of waypoint could have happened say at anytime between 12:37 and 1:07, say (just for the sake of it) 1:07, and 12 minutes later (1:19) the pilot is handed over, says "Good night", turns off the transponder, and the plane turns left, presumably responding to the new waypoint entered / modified in the FMS that I am guessing was added after the waypoint that would mark the change in FIR (airspace).

I don't see a flight plan being recived by the plane via ACARS nowhere (rather, the change was reported by the plane via ACARS), nor any mention to a change in the plan being made before take-off (rather, 12 minutes before sign-off which means, I gess, hand over from one ATC to the other)
      Ok, I see the confusion. I was interpreting the sign-off to mean before take-off, preflight, but I see that it probably means radio sign-off here. I also am interpreting this to mean the new flight plan was received remotely by ACARS and forwarded to the FMS. It could also mean that ACARS reported a change of flight plan entered manually (if ACARS does in fact report such things to the ground). Again, in lieu of an actual report, with sources, this is just a comedy of assumptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
        First reported by MSNBC.

'Unnamed US sources' - same sources who gave info regarding the Inmarsat "pings"

According to the source, the input into the flight computer occurred at (BUT NOT BEFORE) 1:07 MYT
        Have a link by chance?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Have a link by chance?
          That's been widely reported this evening by all mainstream media. NBC broke it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
            That's been widely reported this evening by all mainstream media. NBC broke it.
            I would add, mainstream media have reported most major developments in this story, only to be corroborated, sometimes reluctantly, by officials, usually long after the fact.

Comment

• Maldives probes reports of MH370 sighting

For reference:

Comment

Have a link by chance?
                The revelation further indicates that the abrupt turnaround was planned and executed in the cockpit before controllers lost contact with Flight 370.
                AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Tidbits from the Press Conference:

Captain's private Flight Simulator - The Cache/Logs were wiped clean on February 3. They are attempting to retrieve the deleted data.

They have received background information on all passengers, except for the Russian Federation and Ukraine.

The have denied the a/c went past VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX - they say they have no data to verify this

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Theres a Chinese registered cargo ship south of the Indian Ocean search area doing some interesting maneuvers

Why else would a cargo ship be there?

Comment

• This is the "Best" one yet! A student has found the aircraft by a satellite photo sitting in the jungle, INTACT!

The image is taken from Tomnod, the map search website currently being used by hundreds of thousands of people in an attempt to search for missing passenger plane.

The longer this has played out, the more convinced I am of my original theory. Thou maybe not for $$ and the guy was just really off his rocker more than I thought. I don't want to call him a scumbag again because he might have been a really sweet person once you got to know him!

Please notice the lack of any trees down on the approach to the final resting site. Although I have heard that when the aliens are finished with the anal and vaginal probes of the abducted subjects, they just place the aircraft down gently with the same tractor beam they used to grab it! If you look closely in the clearing on the right rear you can see Courtney Love sipping an iced chai latte.
                      Last edited by BoeingBobby; 2014-03-19, 12:53. Reason: Added a bit of humor!

Comment

• Updated search area chart posted on WSJ today:

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueMax View Post
                          Updated search area chart posted on WSJ today:

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0317070311.jpg
                          A needle in a haystack may be an understatement at this point.

How far underwater will the flight data recorders be able to ping to the surface?
                          AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                            Please notice the lack of any trees down on the approach to the final resting site
                            Clearly you're missing the biggest piece of the puzzle! The plane flew into a wormhole which transported it in space and time (and also stopped its forward motion). The plane was deposited on the floor of the jungle and transported back in time about 75 years. The trees aren't disturbed because they grew up around the plane during the last 75 years!

A little more seriously... as I read the article they're claiming the plane is *above* the forest (presumably in flight), not crashed in it.
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpeters View Post
                              A needle in a haystack may be an understatement at this point.

How far underwater will the flight data recorders be able to ping to the surface?
                              Needle in a haystack? Yup..
                              Trying to find a plane in an area the size of Australia is like trying to find one shoe in the whole of London....

Comment

• I kind of thought it's somewhere off the coast of Perth Australia in very deep water.

Comment

Working...
                                X