Close call at JFK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call at JFK

The reporting on this one is a little over the top, a pilot's mistake was mitigated by an on the ball controller, safely resolving the situation. Also its takeoff CLEARANCE not plans.
    EgyptAir Boeing 777 mistakenly taxied just 37 feet from Runway 22R, where it would have been in the path of a speeding Lufthansa jet preparing for takeoff du...
    moving quickly in air

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
    The reporting on this one is a little over the top, a pilot's mistake was mitigated by an on the ball controller, safely resolving the situation. Also its takeoff CLEARANCE not plans.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XrQ...ature=youtu.be
    Actually once you are rolling down the runway- what difference does it make what your clearance is.

In fact, I'd argue that "Abort your takeoff" would be better, becuase there's plenty of benign things that can get canceled...

Or maybe even holy shit everyone stop!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
      The reporting on this one is a little over the top, a pilot's mistake was mitigated by an on the ball controller, safely resolving the situation. Also its takeoff CLEARANCE not plans.[/URL]
      what do you expect it's FOX News

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Actually once you are rolling down the runway- what difference does it make what your clearance is.

In fact, I'd argue that "Abort your takeoff" would be better, becuase there's plenty of benign things that can get canceled...

Or maybe even holy shit everyone stop!
        In other instances they have simply said "Stop! Stop! Stop!" "Cancel you takeoff plans" is a little wordy for an imminent collision. Isn't there a standard call?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          In other instances they have simply said "Stop! Stop! Stop!" "Cancel you takeoff plans" is a little wordy for an imminent collision. Isn't there a standard call?

Yes there is "CANCEL TAKEOFF CLEARANCE"

Comment

Originally posted by Mungous View Post
            what do you expect it's FOX News
            what has that got to do with it.

I expect that the other MSM is just as bad.

Or do you wear rosy glasses when watching other MSM stations.

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
              what has that got to do with it.
              "...thirty-seven feet away from colliding!!!"

It's that careless indifference to fact checking and/or stretching of the facts for sensational effect that Fox is uniquely famous for.

The 777 held 37 feet short of 22R without being told to hold, probably because they noticed the runway edge lights and realized their error. Missing the taxiway was a serious error, but it was never close to an actual collision.

Comment

after watching that report I was surprised to learn that the closest those aircraft got to each other during the incident was in fact 1500 feet not 37
                moving quickly in air

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  "...thirty-seven feet away from colliding!!!"

It's that careless indifference to fact checking and/or stretching of the facts for sensational effect that Fox is uniquely famous for.

The 777 held 37 feet short of 22R without being told to hold, probably because they noticed the runway edge lights and realized their error. Missing the taxiway was a serious error, but it was never close to an actual collision.
                  Indeed the news sensationalized the event and indeed the system worked with the pilots noticing something (it's fairly standard procedure to look left and right before crossing ANY runway)(...and I half suspect that the departing aircraft saw everything unforlding in a nice slow pace and did a nice calm abort...)

...but on the other hand, it's a fairly serious near miss- I am thinking 37 feet means that they were over the magical do not cross line.

They got through one slice of swiss cheese and sooner or later, the holes tend line up and bad $hit happens.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Indeed the news sensationalized the event and indeed the system worked with the pilots noticing something (it's fairly standard procedure to look left and right before crossing ANY runway)(...and I half suspect that the departing aircraft saw everything unforlding in a nice slow pace and did a nice calm abort...)

...but on the other hand, it's a fairly serious near miss- I am thinking 37 feet means that they were over the magical do not cross line.

They got through one slice of swiss cheese and sooner or later, the holes tend line up and bad $hit happens.
                    indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X