Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-Air Refueling of Passenger Aircraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Air Refueling of Passenger Aircraft?

Hi All,

Ok, so I want to bounce an idea off of you guys, and see not only if it is practical, but economical, possible and worth while.

So, I have this idea - that instead of making planes haul all of their fuel in-flight, that we develop a way to allow aircraft to fuel after takeoff via in-flight fueling. Sorta like a fueling station in the sky. I was earlier thinking of having KC-135s flying around out there, but perhaps another format would serve better.

It would allow aircraft to take off with more weight, and then burn less fuel in the take off process. It would also allow certain aircraft to fly much longer routes, and would allow some airport to deal with emergency situations differently.

So, am I being completely daft here? Has this been discussed/studied elsewhere already? How could this work out? And, should it?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

I think that your idea can't beat a fuel stop, at least in terms of $$$$$$

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

You also need to consider the fuel that the tanker uses. So, no matter what, the weight of the fuel has to take off at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        I think that your idea can't beat a fuel stop, at least in terms of $$$$$$
        -Expensive fuel tanker...
        -Burning a lot of expensive fuel itself (as Peter says)...
        -Requiring all the normal, expensive airliner maintenance...
        -Staffed by an expensive crew...
        -Expensive, special training for two flight crews...
        -Extra crew member on one or both aircraft...(tanker has a "boom pilot")
        -Expensive, special plumbing on both aircraft...
        -Requiring special ATC assistance...
        -A certain elevated safety risk...
        -10-zillion expensive hoops and certifications to work through for permission to do this...

...or a truck and a rampie...
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

not to mention (and i'm surprised evan has already jumped on this!) the incredible risk to pax.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            not to mention (and i'm surprised evan has already jumped on this!) the incredible risk to pax.
            Check again:
            Originally posted by 3WE
            -A certain elevated safety risk...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Perhaps it could be feasible for air craft larger then say an A380, one thing for sure, these types of discussions will be part on our energy future.

Bob

Comment

Check again:
                uh yeah, missed that. damn bourbon!

Comment

Originally posted by bob m View Post
                  Perhaps it could be feasible for air craft larger then say an A380, one thing for sure, these types of discussions will be part on our energy future.

Bob
                  I very much doubt it.

If A and B are too far apart, going from A to B takes a lot of fuel.
                  But the amount of fuel you can take in an airplane is limited by the amount of payload (passengers and cargo) that you take, and vice versa: You can't just fill it up with fuel AND payload (both to max capacity) because you would be exceeding the max gross weight. Thus in short flights you can take more cargo and a long flight that requires more fuel you can't take as much cargo. In this case taking a lot of fuel directly limits your revenue.

And even if, due to demand, after selling all the payload that you can you still have room for all the fuel, you need fuel just to carry fuel (the last pounds of fuel that you're going to use just before landing, taking them from sea level to 41000ft and the all across the Pacific ocean is not free).

So even in this case (payload not penalized) it could be more economic and ecologic to depart with less fuel that required for the whole trip and get more fuel along.

But, by all means, making a fuel stop will be much more economical (and environmentally friendly) than operating an aerial gas station. The fuel stop will add time to the trip, perhaps one hour or more, but that's not so much in a 15 hours flight.

And, as TeeVee said, all that assuming that in-flight refueling achieves a level of safety good for passenger flights.

Comment

I very much doubt it.

If A and B are too far apart...
                    Wouldn't there be some way a conveyor belt could be used?
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

If A and B are too far apart, going from A to B takes a lot of fuel.
                      But the amount of fuel you can take in an airplane is limited by the amount of payload (passengers and cargo) that you take, and vice versa: You can't just fill it up with fuel AND payload (both to max capacity) because you would be exceeding the max gross weight. Thus in short flights you can take more cargo and a long flight that requires more fuel you can't take as much cargo. In this case taking a lot of fuel directly limits your revenue.
                      And we know how well those reduced cargo capacity, ultra long range aircraft sold (A340-500, 772LR).
                      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

also, think about how many aircraft that are going to need fueling. You'd need to clog up airways with tankers in airways that are already so congested that a single wrong move could cost hundreds of lives.

We're talking at least 100 tankers per airport that has departures at least every minute.
                        I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

B777-200LR anyone?

Comment

What runs would be the prime candidates? Are there any real world examples where this would possibly be practical?
                            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

As has already been pointed out, the 77L and other much fuel efficient aircraft in service these days are plenty enough for the job. Besides, I don't think passengers would really want to spend 20+ hours in a cramped space, the 15+ hour flights operated by some carriers today are generating complaints as is. I know I wouldn't.

And we know how well those reduced cargo capacity, ultra long range aircraft sold (A340-500, 772LR).
                              Actually the 77L is selling better, it's the 345 that's been the fuel guzzler and is such, not as popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X