United 737 Bird Stike @ DEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United 737 Bird Stike @ DEN

DENVER — A United Airlines jet collided with a bird on Tuesday morning as the plane was descending into the Denver airport.

Pictures from the airport showed a large hole in the nose of the Boeing 737, which had taken off from Dallas/Fort Worth.

Video @ Link

Must have been a freaking pterodactyl.

Comment

Got to be a flying Penguin !

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Looks like the left pitot tube has a piece of the goose jammed in it as well...

Comment

Yes, they lost the left airspeed and considered the right airspeed unreliable, so they declared emergency and requested ground speed info from the ATC radar for cross-check (I wonder if they didn't have a GPS to get their own ground speed, they surely had a DME).

Wasn't there a case where the bird punctured the fuselage an ended inside the cockpit (and I think severely hurt the FO)?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Little speed tape and it'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
              Little speed tape and it'll be fine
              The bird? I don't think so...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

The little one will need more than duct tape to become airworthy again

Edit: Make that duck tape and it may do the trick...

The big one needs the wide roll, at least two layers, to fix the radome...

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  (I wonder if they didn't have a GPS to get their own ground speed, they surely had a DME).
                  They have dual GPS to update the FMC. The GPS only updates the FMC position; there is no direct readout of GPS groundspeed. You're right though, they should have had a groundspeed indication on the FMC and through that, on the EFIS screen. Now, the FMC does take some inputs from the Air Data Computer, which, of course, gets input from the pitot tubes. Those are the basics I remember. It's been long enough since I've been on the airplane that I don't remember the exact nuances of the system.

The DME on the 737 only gives distance, not groundspeed.
                  The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Found a reference to a bird strike at CDG on april 2, 2001, where a 767 was damaged and parts of the bird ended up in the cockpit
                      On 22 October 2007, the Associated Press reported that NASA had planned to not release a report on a survey of over 24,000 pilots about safe...

Strange, this one is not listed in the ASN database

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        Yes, they lost the left airspeed and considered the right airspeed unreliable, so they declared emergency and requested ground speed info from the ATC radar for cross-check (I wonder if they didn't have a GPS to get their own ground speed, they surely had a DME).
                        If they still had agreement on the other two airspeed indications, why wouldn't that be enough? Or was the right pitot affected as well?

Comment

Hmmm.....

I wonder if they might have used familiar/known power settings and vertical speeds and attitudes to keep airspeed in the ballpark?
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            If they still had agreement on the other two airspeed indications, why wouldn't that be enough? Or was the right pitot affected as well?
                            I don't know. The AvHerald article I took it from (which by the way I frogot to give due credit) doesn't tell:

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Working...
                            X