China Eastern receives 777-300ER, unveils new livery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Eastern receives 777-300ER, unveils new livery

With their new livery. In my opinion, congrats to China Eastern for making JAL's new livery look stunning. This is going to be one fleet that might increase demand for silhouette photography here...(I really hoped this would be a temporary livery like what MH had with its a380s, but according to many sources, this is not the case.)

They could have had tail logo in variying sizes covering tail and coming onto rear fuselage.

JAL wouldnt have looked too bad if they had modernised the logo and added a belly colour

or something stylish

or done this on the previous livery

with new font

Comment

YUCK! Seriously, please don't tell me that they went to a design firm and they paid to have this done? This looks so amateur and sad that it will further propagate the image that they are boring, bland and forgettable.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Their new interiors are really impressive, makes up for that and the Christian lacrioix deisgn uniforms, infact if you look at it they are copying Air France it seems, the management might have instructed designer to create that feel.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
          Their new interiors are really impressive, makes up for that and the Christian lacrioix deisgn uniforms, infact if you look at it they are copying Air France it seems, the management might have instructed designer to create that feel.
          While that may be both true and impressive, they don't have a great (and by that I mean well known, when compared to other International or even some other Chinese carriers) reputation or visible brand. In the competitive Asian, and domestically within Chinese markets, shouldn't they make more of an effort?

You chose JAL as a demonstration for the C/S change. Was it also meant to mirror the corporate and idealogical change that they embarked upon as well?

Comment

No just that JL could have done it with style.

Comment

Is the standard Euro-white easy and cost-efficient to maintain? I mean look at how many carriers have switched from something that actually looked good to a Euro-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                Is the standard Euro-white easy and cost-efficient to maintain?
                The white equates to a lower amount of (heavy!) pigment that must be put over the base coat and primer.

NZ on one of their Youtube videos claims that their all-black 77W is more than 400lbs heavier than their standard livery, due to paint alone! That'd be a significant weight penalty over a large fleet size!

I've also heard that lighter colored aircraft are easier to insulate on the ground, and thus use less energy in cooling. I have my doubts to the extent of the significance of that contribution-- but it's a common statement, so who knows.
                Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
                  The white equates to a lower amount of (heavy!) pigment that must be put over the base coat and primer.

NZ on one of their Youtube videos claims that their all-black 77W is more than 400lbs heavier than their standard livery, due to paint alone! That'd be a significant weight penalty over a large fleet size!

I've also heard that lighter colored aircraft are easier to insulate on the ground, and thus use less energy in cooling. I have my doubts to the extent of the significance of that contribution-- but it's a common statement, so who knows.
                  Further past those points, when originally introduced it allowed carriers to easily lease their aircraft (painted in "Euro-White") to other carriers without much of a major change to the aircraft's exterior save for a few decals. A minor reason compared to the most salient point of fuel savings, but one that was initially cited as important to adoption of the trend.

I can only imagine what adding a metallic finish would add to the weight of paint - hence the reason why we have seen both TG and VS return to matte colors, or why AA chose not to add a metallic cover to their base coats.

As for the insulation issue, it was a basis of AA's argument when the fleet was unpainted. It was claimed that it kept the aircraft cooler on the ground, thus requiring less energy. Technically the principle is sound, as stated.

Actually, rather than thinking of them as absorbers of heat, darker colors are better absorbers of light and thereby become better radiators of heat.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00156.htm

Comment

^Not to mention the bare-metal scheme shaved off hundreds of pounds of weight of the paint. Which is no longer an option with the composite skins of course. Thanks for the explanations both you and ConcordeBoy .

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                      I mean look at how many carriers have switched from something that actually looked good to a Euro-white.
                      ...And then, there is Southwest Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
                        ...And then, there is Southwest Airlines
                        and Air Canada
                        I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

^Southwest's newest colour scheme did take a bit to grow on me, I'll admit that. I was quite happy with the Canyon Blue. But the new one is alright I guess. A few more months and it will be back in my top 10.

Comment

Working...
                          X