Airliners in the Movies and TV . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    And to add to your post (if I may...), Piñeyro also directed/produced another film:

Fuerza aérea sociedad anónima , which while having significantly less footage (compared caliber to footage to Whiskey Romeo Zulu), is still (from what I have heard) a decent expose of the the Argentine Air Force's control on the Argentine Airline Industry.

Yet another that I wish to see...
    Fuerza Aérea Sociedad Anónima (what would be Air Force Inc.), unlike Whisky Romeo Zulu, is a documentary, and yes, it's about the terrible performance and corruption of the Argentine Air Force as the authority in the Civil Aviation (our FAA).

Much of the documentary talks about the events surrounding the crash of an Austral's DC-9 (the lack of enforcement of an AD requiring the installation of an alarm to alert that the pitot heat was off, the differences in requirements in recurrent training among the different airlines, and issues related with fatigue such as rest time and vacations that were due for years). But there is much more. Like the poor English skills of the controllers that deal with international flights, the lack of action after recurrent pilots' report of problems with the rudder of the 737, the poor radarization of our airspace, and the lack of NOTAM in an event where the Navy was doing an exercise that involved launching a rocket which triggered the missile alarm of a Lufthansa flight.

By the way, after the movie the government started a process to take the civil aviation out of the Air Force control and to a civil authority. This process is complete. Not that this necessarily means that things are much better now.

As a movie, I like more WRZ because it's not a documentary, and so it's much more fun. Both movies are eye openers, but one has to always keep in mind that this is just one side of the story, and that Piñero has an agenda behind. So they are not a neutral points of view.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Wasn't there an AA A300 as well as an MD82 IN Cool Runnings? I'm pretty sure there was.
      Lets fly away!!!!

Comment

What about mayday? It has this fictional Concorde but has a humop in front (ala 747). It is also elongated and it's engine is implemented in the rear part of its delta wing.

Comment

OK first of I'm a huge airplane nerd for registering just to add to this intriguing thread.

Secondly, glad I joined!

Bourne Identity (2002)

A scene showing the CIA team leaving CDG features a Star Airlines (XL Airways France) Airbus A320-214, registration F-GRSE crossing a bridge above their vehicles.

Another shot depicting a change of scene back to CDG where a CIA assassin is given instructions has the following in an outside terminal shot.

Qantas 747-400 parked
          Varig MD-11 parked
          Brit Air (Air France) Fokker 100 parked
          Air France A320 taxiing

The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

Here a an Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-96-300, registration RA-96015 named "M. Gromov" is seen arriving at SVO.

I'll be watching The Bourne Ultimatum later and I'll note anything more I see.

Comment

One not listed here as yet which is featured at some length, taxiing and taking off, during the album version of Stairway To Heaven at the end of Led Zeppelin's film The Song Remains The Same is Boeing 720, N7201U (s/n 17907) which the band used on the 1973 US tour.

The aircraft was the first 720 built, delivered to United Airlines on 1st October, 1960 and passing to Contemporary Entertainments on 16th January, 1973.

Named The Starship, it had a two-tone brown livery with the band's name on the fuselage in the style of the soundtrack album's artwork. Apparently it was used again on the 1977 US tour with a different livery.

Other bands that used it were: Deep Purple, Olivia Newton John, Peter Frampton and Elton John.

Catch the clip near the end of this section here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYSv5Le26o Enjoy!
            Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-09-27, 19:14.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

The 747 shown in Airport 1975 was flown by UPS for a number of years after the movie and was finally retired in 2005. It is now in Victorville.

One that your list misses is the DC8 in the movie The Pilot. I think it is a DC8....the long skinny one with four engines.

Comment

Airliners in the Movies and TV

Here's more:

"A Man Could Get Killed"-1966

TAP Caravelle, Sabena 707, TWA 707

My Three Sons:

"Le Petite Stowaway"-1962

Pan Am 707-321 (JT4As) & AA 720B

Christian

Comment

Avianca 707 in the movies

An Avianca Colombia Boeing 707 is briefly portrayed in the movie "The day after tomorrow".

The plane is the same that crash landed in NewYork in 1993 because of fuel exhaustion. In fact, the footage shown in the movie is from a 1993 newscast, right after the accident. (real footage of the crashed plane)

In the movie, the plane is portrayed as having crashed because of the violent and sudden freeze that covered half of the earth.

Comment

The Brothers Bloom

A Continental 772 is shown as a scene transition from Germany to New Jersey.

Comment

Louis Gonzalez;506270]Contributions, updates, corrections & comments most welcome.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Knute Rockne All American (1940) Pat O’Brien - at least two shots of a wooden Ford Trimotor
                      It seems strange that an airplane with the nickname "The Tin Goose" would be referred to as a "wooden Ford Trimotor".

The Ford Tri-Motor is and was all metal.

Comment

La Dolce Vita (1960) directed by Federico Fellini, starring Marcello Mastroianni, Anita Ekberg - Alitalia DC-7C
                        TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

More Airliners In The Movies

A few more additions:

"Au Pair Girls"-1969:

SAS Caravelle
                          Aeroflot IL-62
                          Aer Lingus Boeing 720
                          Alitalia DC-9-30
                          Swissair CV-990
                          BOAC VC-10
                          Air France 727-100
                          Lufthansa 707-400
                          BEA Tridents
                          TWA 707-331B or C

"Ein Engel Auf Erden"-1959:

Air France L-749 Connie w/Speedpack
                          Douglas DC-6
                          Vickers Viscounts
                          Douglas DC-3
                          Bell 47G

"Die Stewardessen"-1971

UTA/Air Afrique DC-8-32
                          South African 707-300
                          Swissair Caravelle
                          SAS Caravelle
                          Air France Caravelle
                          SAS DC-8
                          Olympic 727-200
                          SAS DC-9-41
                          Iberia DC-9-30
                          TWA 707-131B
                          TWA 747-131
                          TAP Caravelle
                          Swissair DC-8-62s
                          Swissair CV-990
                          Swissair DC-9
                          National "Sun King" 727-100
                          BEA Trident (Union Jack)
                          S.S. United States

"Murder On Flight 502"-1975

United Boeing 747-122
                          AA Boeing 747
                          Pan Am 707-321C

To see these, plus hundreds more vintage airliner clips, please check out my channel:

Enjoy,

Christian

Comment

Hello everyone, new poster here.

In No Country for Old Men, there is a shot of a 747 flying overhead when Llewelyn arrives in El Paso. Think that was a director's goof as I don't think a 747 was flying commercially into ELP in 1980. Could have been a cargo plane, I guess.

Also, in The Usual Suspects, there's a shot of Agent Kujan taking off on a plane (can't remember what kind) to interview Verbal.

Comment

this is a very interesting article.
                              great read thanks for the post, very informative post! Thanks for sharing post...
                              Force Factor

megaforce review

Comment

Here's a advert I came across in the online magazine of SpiceJet (an Indian Carrier) a few months back.

Not heard anything about this movie since then; thankfully!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X