Ariana 737 on her belly at Kabul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ariana 737 on her belly at Kabul

A Boeing 737-4Y0 passenger plane, registered YA-PIB, sustained substantial damage in a landing accident at Kabul Airport (KBL), Afghanistan. All 122 passengers and crew members survived. The airplane operated on a flight from Delhi-Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) to Kabul Airport (KBL).
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Reportedly runway excursion upon landing.
    More details and pics at Aviation Herald
    Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Ground spoilers armed?

Comment

11,400ft runway. Ouch.

Comment

Airport management and/or the local press report the aircraft as being "undamaged" !!!!! Yeah....bit of duct tape and some T-Cut and she'll be good to go.
          I'd hate to see what they consider to be damaged then ?!
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Ground spoilers armed?
            Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
            11,400ft runway. Ouch.
            Forward thrust kept applied?

In a 11,400ft runway with a 737 you don't need ground spoilers, reversers or even brakes at all. Jusd touch down not way too fast and not way too much down the runway, idle the engines and you'll depart the runway end at taxi speed (and that because the enginse still produce some thrust at idle).

But this was a high speed overrun.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Now thats an impressive effort!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                Airport management and/or the local press report the aircraft as being "undamaged" !!!!! Yeah....bit of duct tape and some T-Cut and she'll be good to go.
                I'd hate to see what they consider to be damaged then ?!
                Obviously I do not know the extent of the damage to this aircraft but I have seen worse looking damaged aircraft repaired. One factor here will be the additional cost and risk of sending a repair team and parts to Afghanistan. Also of course repair cost vs. aircraft value.

Comment

My only curiosity is how you maintain any airport security in a land like that? Is that airline allowed to land in Europe? Or does it just ferry people around in Asia?

Comment

Im going with a way overflown touchdown . Plus maypop tyres .

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                      Please lock this thread.
                      Why?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                        My only curiosity is how you maintain any airport security in a land like that? Is that airline allowed to land in Europe? Or does it just ferry people around in Asia?
                        Sorry to crisp your cracker , but the third world gets around even without your Cockpit Knowledge .

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                          Sorry to crisp your cracker , but the third world gets around even without your Cockpit Knowledge .
                          I also find EC's post disgusting. But why to close the thread?
                          Deleting the post would be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                            Now thats an impressive effort!
                            Quite!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              Why?
                              Gabriel , If I had known you were around I would have put on my favorite smoking jacket and packed only the finest of pipe .

Comment

Working...
                              X