Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA announces the launch of the 787!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...170000110.html

Arranged in a two-class cabin configuration, American's 787-8 features 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. The Main Cabin will be outfitted with 48 Main Cabin Extra seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, offering customers up to six inches of additional legroom, and 150 Main Cabin seats also arranged in a 3-3-3 configuration. Every seat offers a 9-inch HD Panasonic touchscreen monitor with an assortment of movies, TV programs, games and audio selections.
    So starting;
    - DFW-ORD on 05/07/2015.
    - DFW-PEK on 06/02/2015.
    - DFW-EZE on 06/04/2015.

Great start, and great to see the aircraft up and running. I wonder which city pairs will be seeing the 787s next?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

I would venture a guess that one of its three daily nonstops between DFW and LHR will get transitioned to a 787 as well. Currently the 9:55p.m. departure operates with a 763ER (772ER in the summer schedule) while the other two get 77Ws. That might be the one to get the 787.

Another possibility is DFW-MAD-DFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
      I would venture a guess that one of its three daily nonstops between DFW and LHR will get transitioned to a 787 as well. Currently the 9:55p.m. departure operates with a 763ER (772ER in the summer schedule) while the other two get 77Ws. That might be the one to get the 787.

Another possibility is DFW-MAD-DFW.
      I was hoping so, however it seems that the 787s are going to be used on developing Asian connections from DFW and LAX, at first. The 763/772 downgrade/upgrade is odd, but the 767s have the range (and, soon, the product upgrades) to make East-Coast Trans-Atlantic their own market. Keep in mind that now, on the East Coast of the U.S., AA has MIA, CLT, PHL, JFK and not too far away is ORD. Not a bad product, but the 767 can do the job, is relitavely cheap (compared to a newer aircraft), and is well within the range. The 773 is likely going to be a LHR mainstay, but other European cities (in the post AA/US merger world), might find themselves rationalized to 767s.

And then there is the JV with BA and IB. I.E., any slack (I.e. AA dropping flights) will get picked up by a partner and AA will still receive profit from the flight.

As LHR, MAD and (hopefully, if EI is acquired by IAG), will be rationalized between the partners, thus allowing more connections and more frequencies.

Another issue, as AA cleans up the 767s, also keep in mind that the A330s from US are now sub-able for flights. Sure, LHR, with premium heavy traffic might not be a good bet (unless the A330s were upgraded as well to accommodate more in business), but in present configuration they could tackle some markets that are heavier than the 763, smaller than the 772 (which can be deployed more efficiently elsewhere), and range is not an issue.

The exciting question is how and where the A350s are going to be deployed. I have a suspicion that they are going to be decked out nicely, taking over some of the European routes, in time.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        - DFW-EZE on 06/04/2015.
        Going to do this flight in August. Maybe I get lucky....

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Going to do this flight in August. Maybe I get lucky....
          Gabriel, in a 787, looking down on Sweet Monkey River, Texas.

Amazing!
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Re:

I was hoping so, however it seems that the 787s are going to be used on developing Asian connections from DFW and LAX, at first. The 763/772 downgrade/upgrade is odd...
            Nothing that odd about it, it is a seasonal adjustment, just like all other carriers do. Less demand in the winter, more in the summer.

The exciting question is how and where the A350s are going to be deployed. I have a suspicion that they are going to be decked out nicely, taking over some of the European routes, in time.
            Don't forget AA also has 789s on order, so those will probably get in the mix too. I can see CLT becoming a 350-dominant hub, but I think they'll be spread across MIA, ORD, JFK, CLT and DFW. Plus some of the lower-traffic Pacific routes, like the HND flights for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Gabriel, in a 787, looking down on Sweet Monkey River, Texas.

Amazing!
              And what I am doing now? (rephrase of the typical last words of pilots in technically advanced planes)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

And what I am doing now?
                Offering to toss TP out the window if they'll chase it and shred it?

Asking the pilots if they understand the concept of AOA?

Brushing up on a Flight Sim game on how to program 787 FMS (or are you practicing HAND FLYING it?)

Memorizing Memory Checklists?
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Brushing up on a Flight Sim game on how to program 787 FMS (or are you practicing HAND FLYING it?)
                  No, man. When both pilots eat the fish I will go up there, disconnect the AP/AT/FD, "click click, clack clack", and fly it like the Tomahawk, "feeling" the AoA with my hand on the yoke.

The plane and I will understand each other because we speak the same language. Physics.

Comment

No, man. When both pilots eat the fish I will go up there, disconnect the AP/AT/FD, "click click, clack clack", and fly it like the Tomahawk, "feeling" the AoA with my hand on the yoke.

The Boeing and I will understand each other because we speak the same language. Physics.
                    Fixed.

Comment

...fly it like the Tomahawk...
                      I have read that on a lot of airliners, it's a violation of the FCOM, QRH, and numerous memory checklists to use the rudder during cruise.

To do so, would make you a grossly incompetent pilot.

However, I do not know if this applies to your particular model.

Comment

I have read that on a lot of airliners, it's a violation of the FCOM, QRH, and numerous memory checklists to use the rudder during cruise.

To do so, would make you a grossly incompetent pilot.

However, I do not know if this applies to your particular model.
                        That's ok. In the Tomahawk I don't use the rudder at cruise either anyway.

Comment

Fixed.
                          The Airbus also speaks Physics. Just that in the middle there would two interpreters translating from my Physics to 10001101101 and then from 1010011101 back to Physics.

Comment

to 10001101101 and then from 1010011101
                            And therein lies the problem...
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

The Airbus works hard to hide Physics.
                              Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X