Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Boeing 757 new generation (?)

hi

on another forum, there is a discussion about Boeing considering a new build "757MAX".

I personnally find it a good idea, as I love that airplane.

How likely is this? (A321NEO/737-9MAX are not 100% replacing that 757...)

And, why are there no 757-200WL as converted freighters? FedEx has some, but only for scrapping fp

let the discussion start,...now...
    please take a look at my website: www.bae-atp.webs.com

flown on: Boeing 737-400/500/700wl/800wl * B767-300ER * MD11 * B757-200 * MD82 * ERJ 145 * E-190 * Q400 * BAe ATP * Jetstream J41 recently added: B717-200

flown with: TUIfly.de, Luxair, CityBird, Transavia.com, Air Moldova, AirFrance, Régional, West Air Luxembourg, skyexpress.gr recently added: Volotea

Boeing ceased production of 757s several years ago. I doubt that they will ever restart the line. It is conceivable that a 3rd party could reengine the 757 but I doubt it.

Comment

With no family commonality to existing production lines, I doubt it will be worthwhile to do anything with the 757 concept. The same also goes for the 767. Once the 787 is established on the market the demand for 767s will fade away and the type will die.

As for a 757 replacement. I think it's much more likely that Boeing's next new aircraft will turn out to be a family that can replace anything from 737-700 to 757-200, with the 787-family picking up after that and replacing 757-300 up to 767-400/777-200. In the end, Boeing will have three productive airplane families: the 737 replacement, the 787 and the 777. I'm not sure how the 747-800 will fit in. It may carve out it's niche or it may die sooner or later. Too early to tell.

So - much as I like the 757 to be around longer, I think this type is slowly heading for the sunset... well, not for another 10 to 15 years, though.

Comment

sorry that is a false rumor.

Comment

Try the Tupolev Tu-204SM as a next generation 757. Looking better also
          “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
            So true !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
              Well - like they say: there is no accounting for taste... luckily

Comment

what if they place a 787-family cockpit into it?

flown on: Boeing 737-400/500/700wl/800wl * B767-300ER * MD11 * B757-200 * MD82 * ERJ 145 * E-190 * Q400 * BAe ATP * Jetstream J41 recently added: B717-200

flown with: TUIfly.de, Luxair, CityBird, Transavia.com, Air Moldova, AirFrance, Régional, West Air Luxembourg, skyexpress.gr recently added: Volotea

Comment

Originally posted by 7C9 View Post
                  what if they place a 787-family cockpit into it?
                  And what would that accomplish? The design will still be 30 years old, concerning aerodynamics, manufacturing, materials used, engines...

Comment

Is there currently any equivalent to the 757 in the Boeing or Airbus fleets in terms of the payload it can take a given distance?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

"no" ... as both A321NEO nor B737-9MAX can make it over the atlantic or so. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                        I'm not sure how the 747-800 will fit in. It may carve out it's niche or it may die sooner or later. Too early to tell.
                        I don't see the pax version lasting too long, at least not now that most airlines are opting for the 77W to replace their older 747s. I think there's enough demand in the cargo sector -or there will be, to replace the 742Fs (possibly with older 744F/SF) and then the 744F's. Some airlines seem to be buying the 77F to replace other planes.

The winglets on the 757 were offered as an aftermarket accessory only. I don't know if they would offer significant savings for the segments flown. A lot of the 733SF don't have them either, in comparison, a large number of Southwest's 733s have them.

The main focus right now seems to be with the engines and materials. If the line was still open they could make a 757MAX, just like they did with the 737MAX, however, with the assembly line closed since 08(?), I don't know how much of the tooling and equipment is still there, and if they even have space for it.

The current RB211 would be completely out of question, since it only offers a max bypass ratio of 4.4, compared to 8 of the LEAP-X, 11 of the Trent 1000 and 9.5 of the GEnx.

Lastly, the cockpit is still from the early 80s. Since they never offered a full glass cockpit like they did with the 737NG, they would need to do that now and maybe offer commonality with the 737NG/MAX.
                        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

well, from a purely emotional point of view, since i'm partial to the 757, i'd love to see it come back into production. however, they'd probably get skimpy on the power, so it might loose some of it's appeal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                            I don't know how much of the tooling and equipment is still there, and if they even have space for it.
                            No tooling left and No space.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C9 View Post
                              "no" ... as both A321NEO nor B737-9MAX can make it over the atlantic or so. ....
                              And why there isn't anybody covering this niche? Isn't there a market for it?
                              There was one for the 757 (and for its predecessor, the 727)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                              X