Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
    Speed tape and a little TLC?
    And a very close look at that pressure bulkhead, one hopes.

Comment

Highkeas thanks for the interesting video.

Comment

She will fly again. 3 to 5 months from now.

Comment

yes she will because the damage is not that bad. LOT is wet leasing their 767 from Aeroswit an Ukrainian airline. What I would like to see in my dreams would be for LOT to get a 767-400 or a 777 before their 787

Comment

Any hint on what happened yet? (other that they landed with the gear up, please)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

As far as I know they the Polish crash investigators took the black boxes to Germany to get them analyzed because Poland does not have this kind of equipment to check black box recording.

Comment

Ok, but you have a full almost intact plane to work with. They even managed to lower the gear somehow. If there was an hydraulic, electric or mechanical problem, you can just check the plane and find it. If nothing of the above explains it (at least in part) and you need the black boxes to see exactly what happened step by step and who did what and said what to whom and when, that would mean...

PILOT ERROR!!!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

G'day Gabriel,

So far very little seems to have been released, but the rumours seem to be saying:

Centre Hydraulic System failure after departure. The Centre system drives the gear retraction and extension, and so you need to use the alternate gear system.

Alternate gear extension seems to have failed, with unsubstantiated comments that the circuit breaker for this system was found popped.

The Alternate gear extention in this aircraft is a single DC motor that pulls cables. When we consider that the alternate extention is not exactly used often, it is possible a fault in this system could exist for some time without detection.

Once the aircraft is on the ground and is jacked up, the uplocks could be manually released to allow the gear to fall into position.

As for the black boxes - I would imagine that the Polish investigators are being particularly thorough and will tick off every single box in this investigation. Would you accept a crew's word that they pressed the alternate extention during an investigation? I'm certainly not saying they didn't press it - but as an investigator I'd be checking it!

For a start, they wouldn't want Northwester to have any grounds to doubt them...

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                    For a start, they wouldn't want Northwester to have any grounds to doubt them...
                    With the black boxes going to Germany of all places, he already has starting point #1 for his next theory

Comment

As for the black boxes - I would imagine that the Polish investigators are being particularly thorough and will tick off every single box in this investigation. Would you accept a crew's word that they pressed the alternate extention during an investigation? I'm certainly not saying they didn't press it - but as an investigator I'd be checking it!
                      Of course. I don't expect the final result yet. I asked for hints and said that, with the full plane available, the problem must already be known at least in part, whcih if the rumors you mention are right, it seems it is.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

The Alternate gear extention in this aircraft is a single DC motor that pulls cables. When we consider that the alternate extention is not exactly used often, it is possible a fault in this system could exist for some time without detection.\
                        This is exactly what I'm thinking. And if it turns out to be the case, how many others have faulted without detection? I hope this thought has occurred to the FAA.

Comment

Gabriels' intuition may be correct. It very well may be a pilot error. Gear was lowered by alternative mode after some breakers were reset on the panel. Local investigators and the experts from Boeing are checking the entire system, that's why it is taking so long.

Another thing is why did the hydraulic hose fail after the gear retraction. Was it replaced/services in time? Was it a genuine part?

Comment

How much of a load is put on the gear to extend it in the airstream in flight.

Static testing may not be the answer either?
                            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Why would it be a pilot error? They have circled Warsaw for about an hour burning of gas. They could have gone through the check list couple times to make sure that they wore doing every thing right step by step. But hey it is possible that it was pilot error under pressure.

I just read an article on one of Polish web sites interviewing an ex LOT pilot and safety investigator that LOT has experienced some kind of issue with hydraulics few days earlier in Chicago.

Will be very interesting to see the out come of this one.

Comment

Well they had a lot (what a spot for a pun), of time to troubleshoot the problem but things do happen.

How about that crew back in the 1960's who flew the plane into the swamps of the Everglades while they looked for the source of a faulty or flickering bulb on the panel?

It's like that missing sock or shoe and it's funny. You always find it in the last place you looked.
                                Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Working...
                                X