Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing 737-700/800 long-haul flights?

Hello.

Maybe someone has asked that before, but couldn't find anything....

Is this possible?: (see link)

considering long-haul flights start officially as of 3500km, this must be more....

and, Luxair for example flies 737-800WL (non-etops) non-stop from LUX to Cap-Verde! ...
    so, what routes are max for such a/c? fully loaded,.... not empty

thanks a lot for any help,

and, happy new year to you all
    please take a look at my website: www.bae-atp.webs.com

flown on: Boeing 737-400/500/700wl/800wl * B767-300ER * MD11 * B757-200 * MD82 * ERJ 145 * E-190 * Q400 * BAe ATP * Jetstream J41 recently added: B717-200

flown with: TUIfly.de, Luxair, CityBird, Transavia.com, Air Moldova, AirFrance, Régional, West Air Luxembourg, skyexpress.gr recently added: Volotea

The boeing home page www.boeing.com

has links to each aircraft and its specs. of the 737-800 page I find

Maximum Range 3,115 nautical miles (5,765 km)
    [2-class with winglets]

I see this distance from Lux to Cape Verde is 4638.71km. Well within the 800 range.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Continental B737-800 is one of the Micronesia ones based in Guam. They operate flights to Japan, Hawaii etc.

Arkefly B737-800 flights: Sal, Banjul & Dubai

Norwegian B737-800 flights: Dubai

TUI Nordic B737-800 flights: Lots to the Canaries that can take upto 6hrs 30m (189Y)

Turkish have quite a few long flights with the B737-800s and now 900s.

Comment

I would say that the photo of a Continental 738 at HKG is not as strange as it appears.I think Continental's Micronesia flights are now operated by the main stream fleet now(ok now United)and there is a route from Guam to Hong Kong I would reckon that is well within range of a 738 ....perhaps they have a sub fleet of ETOPS 738's.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
          I'm pretty sure the Continental B737-800 is one of the Micronesia ones based in Guam. They operate flights to Japan, Hawaii etc.

Arkefly B737-800 flights: Sal, Banjul & Dubai

Norwegian B737-800 flights: Dubai

TUI Nordic B737-800 flights: Lots to the Canaries that can take upto 6hrs 30m (189Y)

Turkish have quite a few long flights with the B737-800s and now 900s.

Arkefly is flying from AMS to my city, Fortaleza, Brazil, using 737-800! They land in Sal before crossing the atlantic. And also XL Airways uses a 737-800 on their flights to Salvador.
          My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

HongKong Airlines/HongKong Express fly their 737-800s to Sapporo. The flight would be almost 6hrs southbound.

FlyDubai also fly to Chittagong, Samara and Ufa, etc., which are all over 5hrs.

I am not sure I would call these long haul though. For me, long haul are those that are at least 8hrs. I don't think the 737s are used in flights over 8hrs. The only exception being ANA's Narita-Mumbai service, but that's on a 737-700ER, which has a range of over 10000km.

It's not that unusual any more to fly a 130-seater on medium range flights. I have flown on Air Canada's A319 between Toronto and Barbados many times and they are 6hrs 30min.

Actually, WestJet also sends its 737-700 to the Caribbean from Toronto all the time. All of those flights are over 6hrs.
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

In addition to ANA's 73GER flight between BOM and NRT (the westbound actually does make a refuelling stop at Nagasaki or Nagoya, one of the two), Privatair has daily longhaul nonstops between ZRH/MUC/AMS/FRA and middle east/Asian destinations.

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific View Post
                It's not that unusual any more to fly a 130-seater on medium range flights. I have flown on Air Canada's A319 between Toronto and Barbados many times and they are 6hrs 30min.
                At one time, the ACs A319s did YYZ-POS and YYZ-CCS, which were long legs as well.

Originally posted by CathayPacific View Post
                Actually, WestJet also sends its 737-700 to the Caribbean from Toronto all the time. All of those flights are over 6hrs.
                Currently, Caribbean Airlines uses their 737-800s on the POS-YYZ, which as above is a hell of a haul. They seem to be doing well with that combination, though.

But, the commendable-use-of-the-737 award goes to Alaska Airlines, for their SEA-MIA or their West-Coast to Hawaii routes. I've done the SEA-MIA route on Alaska and while it was convenient, it surely was a long ride on a narrow-body.
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

AS ord-anc comes in at 2473nm in the 738. Almost 7 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo 747 View Post
                    Arkefly is flying from AMS to my city, Fortaleza, Brazil, using 737-800! They land in Sal before crossing the atlantic. And also XL Airways uses a 737-800 on their flights to Salvador.
                    Arkefly also fly to Kathmandu with a stop in Dubai (I think).

Comment

Well, my fav airline does not own any 737ng, or do they. But that doesn't stop me from flying a nice LH 737-700 retro jet simulator [pics will follow soon]. And, what I've flown so far in 737-700,
                      2,000 nmi and more is not a problem. So, the answer to this topic is, yes, this is possible.
                      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

thanks to you all for those replies!

so, this is a very good plane.....

For the pic in my question: I didn't recognized Continental Micronesia,.... as the Micronesia titles are not on it,....

So, flights like LUX-DXB might be possible on a such plane? and, via SNN also to JFK? great,.....

flown on: Boeing 737-400/500/700wl/800wl * B767-300ER * MD11 * B757-200 * MD82 * ERJ 145 * E-190 * Q400 * BAe ATP * Jetstream J41 recently added: B717-200

flown with: TUIfly.de, Luxair, CityBird, Transavia.com, Air Moldova, AirFrance, Régional, West Air Luxembourg, skyexpress.gr recently added: Volotea

Comment

Hi 7C9!

Well, Cabo Verde is well within the range. Tuifly even flies Hambourg-Sal using 737-800s, not to mention also Virgin Australia who fly from East-to Westcoast in Australia on 737s and so on! But of course Alaska Air are among those to make the most of the 737-range, but theirs are ETOPS.

Comment

great,.....

maybe this is also a feature responsible for the big orders?
                            (okay, included are -100/200/300/400/500/600,......) but, big chance for Boeing to get their 10.000th order for a 737 in 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by 7C9 View Post
                              For the pic in my question: I didn't recognized Continental Micronesia,.... as the Micronesia titles are not on it,....
                              See line two of my post in reply 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X