Norwegian Airlines grounds all 787 flights until August 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian Airlines grounds all 787 flights until August 1st

I was trying to book a cheap flight to Copenhagen from JFK and two representatives on two seperate calls told me (apprehensively and after some interrogation) that they are substituting EuroAtlantic 777 for their scheduled dreamliner service due to "maintenance issues" and will not fly the 787 from JFK until August 1st.

Why?

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    I was trying to book a cheap composites crackerbox flight to ...
    Fixed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Being Fixed.
      Fixed.

Comment

Oh boo hoo .. I couldnt get a cheap flight...

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
          Oh boo hoo .. I couldnt get a cheap flight...

You might be missing the point. The first rep told me they were being recalled from service by Boeing. Obviously there is something serious here if they are taking them out of service for three months. They have been advertising their "dreamliner experience" so i imagine they will have some rankled customers on their hands. Or maybe bait and switch was the idea all along?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            ...they are substituting EuroAtlantic 777 for their scheduled dreamliner service...

Why?
            Because now days, the 777 is more famous than the 787?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator View Post
              Because now days, the 777 is more famous than the 787?
              787 has fires. 777 just vanishes. Airbus perhaps?

Comment

Uuuuummmm.......CoughAircoughbuscough350cough anyone ?
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I've done Newark to Copenhagen on SAS. Would that work if they still do it of course?

If the lucky 7's don't float your boat perhaps a ride on a Ryan?
                  Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    Uuuuummmm.......CoughAircoughbuscough350cough anyone ?
                    I was thinking more along the lines of A319. Or A330. What issues are there?

Comment

I just saw one of their 787s departing LAX on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                        I just saw one of their 787s departing LAX on Tuesday.
                        Maybe it's just one plane that's affected, but what could take 3 months to repair? I think its a little early for a D check.

Im beginning to think there is no problem with the equipment and they are just diverting their dreamliner service to longer haul routes and chartering for the jfk flights. If so, that is blatant bait and switch.

Comment

Saw one last night at FLL, very much operational.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                            Saw one last night at FLL, very much operational.
                            Indeed. Quite amazing to see them parked at the gates at FLL when passing on 595.
                            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Here is a report from last Friday's AIAA newsletter:

Boeing Says It Has Almost Overcome Recent 787 Issues.
                              Flightglobal (4/24, Trimble) reported that Boeing has said that it has almost completely solved “two fresh setbacks” in the Dreamliner program: “hairline cracks in a wing spar” that were the result of a change in manufacturing by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and the slowdown in the “center fuselage assembly line in Charleston, South Carolina.” The article noted that there is currently a “mismatch” between the rate of production of the plane per month and the rate of deliveries. However, Boeing is “comfortable” that it can meet its own target of delivering 110 planes to customers this year even though it has only delivered 18 out of 30 so far.

Perhaps one or more of the Norwegian 787 aircraft have these wing spar cracks.

[In several failure analyses I've worked on, the root cause was found to have been a change in the manufacturing process.]

Comment

Working...
                              X