The ethics of flying Air Koryo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ethics of flying Air Koryo...

So I've seen a lot of videos on Youtube of people flying on Air Koryo, and while my purpose here is not to condemn them, I would feel bad about supporting an airline owned by the government of North Korea. Sure, there are airlines owned by other governments that are not democracies, but North Korea, IMO, is the most backwards dictatorship in the world. Some people there even resort to cannibalism in order to stay alive.

I love old Soviet planes, and Air Koryo seems to keep their Il-18s, in particular, in immaculate condition, but I would feel bad about supporting them.

I am not at all familiar with the airline, nor really the government situation in North Korea.

I think maybe it is because in North Korea, the people have no choice but to fly them? Remember the government there controls the media strongly, I bet they could control transportation...

If I were to ignore the part about NK's backwards government, I should mention that every single airline in China in owned by the government haha

Jerry
    Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

I should mention that every single airline in China in owned by the government haha

Jerry

Not Really. They are heavily controlled by the government, but not all is owned by the government.

Many new startup airlines in China are privately owned. And low cost carriers like Juneyao and Spring Airlines.

The major airline Hainan Airlines is privately owned. Surprising, isn't it?

Comment

Can there really be a reason for choosing a North Korean airline? They are holding at least one American hostage. I'd rather not make a trip if it meant I had to get on a plane they control.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
          Can there really be a reason for choosing a North Korean airline? They are holding at least one American hostage. I'd rather not make a trip if it meant I had to get on a plane they control.
          Rodman just flew into NK on a Koryo flight (if media video is to be believed).

Comment

So, if you want to visit North Korea, you are going to have to answer much more serious questions than "Whether flying Air Koryo is a big deal?" anyway. Also, consider that in many cases, your government has already answered that question for you (or, in many cases North Korea's government).

At present, the only options of getting into the nation would be to use very limited Air China service (which, if you are entering North Korea for the first time, and/or are not a Chinese or North Korean citizen you are barred from using, per the North Korean government). So, in most cases, the only option is to use them.

If indeed you wish to fly Soviet built aircraft - consider flying Cubana, or even some the Aeroflot affiliates. In some cases, the same moral questions, but much less visa restrictions.

Take a look at this video if you wish to feel all warm and fuzzy about your upcoming moral dilemma;

Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I never ask myself "What would Dennis Rodman do?" And I also don't spend much time planning visits to paranoid, hostile dictatorships. I'd consider a person overtraveled if that's what they need to do for excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
                Not Really. They are heavily controlled by the government, but not all is owned by the government.

Many new startup airlines in China are privately owned. And low cost carriers like Juneyao and Spring Airlines.

The major airline Hainan Airlines is privately owned. Surprising, isn't it?
                Oh dear I suppose I am behind the times :P
                Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

Originally posted by UALdave View Post
                  So I've seen a lot of videos on Youtube of people flying on Air Koryo, and while my purpose here is not to condemn them, I would feel bad about supporting an airline owned by the government of North Korea. Sure, there are airlines owned by other governments that are not democracies, but North Korea, IMO, is the most backwards dictatorship in the world. Some people there even resort to cannibalism in order to stay alive.

I love old Soviet planes, and Air Koryo seems to keep their Il-18s, in particular, in immaculate condition, but I would feel bad about supporting them.
                  Well, you wouldn't fly Air Koryo unless you were going to the DPRK, which means that you'd be supporting the DPRK government anyway. I don't see the big deal. As a citizen of a capitalist country, you have the choice to spend or not spend your money in the DPRK (actually, I'm pretty sure OFAC doesn't agree with that statement), but anyways, you can decide to not support the DPRK monetarily, or to support them.
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                    So, if you want to visit North Korea, you are going to have to answer much more serious questions than "Whether flying Air Koryo is a big deal?" anyway. Also, consider that in many cases, your government has already answered that question for you (or, in many cases North Korea's government).

At present, the only options of getting into the nation would be to use very limited Air China service (which, if you are entering North Korea for the first time, and/or are not a Chinese or North Korean citizen you are barred from using, per the North Korean government). So, in most cases, the only option is to use them.

If indeed you wish to fly Soviet built aircraft - consider flying Cubana, or even some the Aeroflot affiliates. In some cases, the same moral questions, but much less visa restrictions.

Take a look at this video if you wish to feel all warm and fuzzy about your upcoming moral dilemma;

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-t...h-korea-1-of-3
                    I would definitely love to fly on some Soviet built aircraft! I don't think there are too many passenger airlines left in Russia that fly them. I don't want to visit North Korea. JustPlanes, whose DVDs I love, have had a series on Youtube on Air Koryo planes, and I feel guilty even watching those videos, much less clicking "like". But I guess you can love the planes, but not the regime that's in power.

Comment

What a silly post, and cannibalism, what crap have you been fed by your media?

Comment

I would love to go to the DPRK, not only to fly on the really cool planes, but just to experience one of the most isolated places in the world. The fact that I would be financially supporting the regime there outweighs that desire though. Morally, I just couldn't do it.

Those Vice videos are great, by the way. Found them about a year ago and they really do a great job of (humorously, at times) shedding light on the giant puppet show that is put on for tourists visiting N Korea from the time they arrive until the moment they leave.
                        Trump is an idiot!
                        Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                          What a silly post, and cannibalism, what crap have you been fed by your media?
                          I'm not slamming North Koreans for resorting to cannibalism, but it is a fact that many have had no choice but to do so, despite the practice being banned by the government. It was a British program if that makes you feel any better, but it doesn't matter, it is factual.

At any rate, I love seeing 747-SPs on Youtube that are operated by the governments of Bahrain and Oman, and those aren't exactly havens of democratic rule. I can love the planes without loving the regimes.

I'd still love to know which airlines in Russia, and other countries in the FSU, operate older Soviet-built airliners.

Comment

I'm not slamming North Koreans for resorting to cannibalism, but it is a fact that many have had no choice but to do so, despite the practice being banned by the government. It was a British program if that makes you feel any better, but it doesn't matter, it is factual.
                            Considering how much they have had to endure - while I do not condone what was done, I can understand how people ended up at those decisions.

At any rate, I love seeing 747-SPs on Youtube that are operated by the governments of Bahrain and Oman, and those aren't exactly havens of democratic rule. I can love the planes without loving the regimes.
                            My thoughts exactly. Though I would probably never be welcome in Iran at present, but if things did change, I would love to fly a 747-SP, or better yet, if their 707s were still flying (cannot remember the name of the airline as of yet).

I'd still love to know which airlines in Russia, and other countries in the FSU, operate older Soviet-built airliners.
                            At present, they are dwindling. Cubana comes to mind, but recently they have purged some of the older aircraft. If you want to feel nostalgia, though, I recommend this:
                            Eraldo Cubana Flight Cancun to Habana (2007)Eraldo Cubana Flight Video
                            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                              and cannibalism, what crap have you been fed by your media?
                              Perhaps instead of revealing your own anti-American ignorance/bias; you instead could've done a 5second search, and seen that media from all over the world report the same thing.

Just a suggestion. Here, I'll help...

UK:

Russia:

Australia:

.......feel like a jerk yet?
                              Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X