Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giddyup

6'4" Gabriel should love this idea.

If you've ever wondered who to curse about that parsimonious economy class seat digging into your kidneys, the culprit may very well be an Italian company known as Avio Interiors. They are a world leader in the airliner seat industry. They're also a serious company employing serious professionals and spending serious money on product design.

And yet, they've come up with this thing:

A 'perching saddle' design that they claim "would lead to a 21% increase in passenger capacity while dropping ticket prices by as much as 44%" on the B737-300.

Now, forget about the claustraphobia of flying with 20" of seat pitch, unable to do any work or get a quick nap while your short-haul one-hour flight is coming off a 90-minute ground hold and is 16th in line for take-off to a destination that might be experiencing significant holding patterns. Forget about carry-on baggage wars and the general obesity of certain world markets. Forget about the inevitable armrest battles. Forget about where to stow the life preservers and what might also serve as a flotation device. Forget about a nightmarish struggle for a tangle of oxygen masks. Forget about all that.

Just tell me one thing: How many emergency exits must a plane have for a given number of passengers? How do you add these to a 737 or A320? How much additional weight and space do they take up with along with their slides? (Because all non-overwing exits must be full-egress doors with slides with no seats blocking them).

Because someone actually took this idea seriously enough to build a prototype and make an attempt to bring it to market. Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary actually considered it for a moment, despite the idea being preposterously unrealistic.

Is this a case of everyone missing the very obvious or is it the momentum of bureaucractic fools or what exactly is this?

A new report says “vertical seats” could allow more passengers onto a plane and cut ticket costs. Is it worth it?

That model has a look on her face that suggests that she won't be needing any batteries for her Sybian !
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

she's looking forward to some vigorous turbulence i'm sure
      moving quickly in air

Comment

Umm, a crash following the failure of rock-solid, memory-item, anti-collision procedures and human factors get's moved to the OT forum, while the moderator is posting yellow-zone jokes???

I believe the answer to Evan's one sentence (among all of the non-safety-related drivel) is that if you can get everyone out in 90 seconds, it's OK.

That's every one...and everyone is healthy and uninjured, the air is clear, their heads are clear, and they are mentally aware, mentally rehearsed and everyone knows it's coming.

Weight and Balance?...you know, there's ton's of flexibility in fuel loads and cargo loads...pun intended.

Those overhead bins sure are going to be full of carry-on's though.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          I believe the answer to Evan's one sentence (among all of the non-safety-related drivel) is that if you can get everyone out in 90 seconds, it's OK.
          Sorry for the drivel. Take the 737-300 with a typical 26-row configuration (156 pax). Let's be conservative and give these things a 22" pitch. Now you have 35 rows (210 pax) in a 737-300. That's basically the pax capacity of a 737-900, which has 2 overwing exit doors per side. But I don't think you're gonna safely get a planeload of people on saddles out of a 737-300 in 90 secs without at least two more main exit doors. Let's assume that's a physical possibility and that the airframe can be modified and recertified to make it happen. How much floor space is that door going to require? Let's be conservative and say 44" inches. So we reserve 44" inches per side for the extra exit rows. That subtracts two rows of 'seats' or 12 pax. So we can get 198 pax into a plane designed for 156. That's a gain of 42 seats!

Avio Interiors is suggesting 21% increase in passengers which would be a gain of about 33 pax, or 189 total pax (approx the capacity of a dense 737-800), so we can even open the seat pitch a fraction of an inch more and still pull that off.

Add in the cost of modification and the added weight of the modifications and the weight of the added pax + increased baggage (probably more severely limited in weight to compensate).

And you have a 189 passenger flying merry-go-round from hell. But it might be feasible and that's what scares me. Is a new, purpose built 737HD or A320HD for this configuration on the horizon? Where there's profit to be made and low fares to be offered it becomes sort of a foregone conclusion.

Then the question becomes: do you want an aisle saddle, a window saddle or a wall saddle.

But is it really safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            ...But is it really safe?
            That's what all the procedures are for!

Maybe add some fundamentals in case they get confused.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

i got $100 that says the model (milf for sure) wouldn't fit in the row immediately behind her. check out where her knees are!

Comment

She's riding low in the saddle.

I think a better idea is to not have any seats, just exercise balls. They would also work great as flotation devices and could contain supplemental oxygen. I'm going to prototype the idea and put in in front of Michael O'Leary...

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Umm, a crash following the failure of rock-solid, memory-item, anti-collision procedures and human factors get's moved to the OT forum, while the moderator is posting yellow-zone jokes???

A ROAD CRASH related accident got moved out of the AVIATION SAFETY forum.
                  The clue behind the move is kinda suggested by the bold type descriptive terms dont you think ?

moderator is posting yellow-zone jokes
                  I take it you've led a bit of a protected life ? Either that or you need to get a life !
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    That model has a look on her face that suggests that she won't be needing any batteries for her Sybian !
                    LLOL=Lurker Laughing Out Loud

Comment

Working...
                    X