Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dispatch Dog View Post
    While I agree that sealed containers will implode or crush, anything that is effectively an open vessel will not be affected by an equalised pressure.
    For aluminium, it is most likely to crush before it reaches an implosive force.

Of course, opening the doors while the aircraft is sinking is easier said than done, and would of course allow a lot of floating debris to exit.

This is all a minor tangent to the more realistic probability that there is no way to put down a 777 in even moderate seas without significant break up.

The lack of any debris after so long is intriguing.
    I'm wondering about a scenario where the plane is deliberately crashed in the garbage patch. Tons of pre-existing debris.

Comment

• According to the BBC, a Chinese ship has picked up a signal at 37.5kHz, consistent with a flight recorder but no evidence it's from MH370.

Approximate location is 25 S 101 E - looking on Google Earth, that's about 800 miles off the western coast of Australia, and about 500 miles north of where they'd been looking

A Chinese ship searching for the missing Malaysian plane picks up a pulse signal, Chinese media say, but there is no sign it is from flight MH370.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
        .....no evidence it's from MH370.
        It would be funny if they find a black box from ANOTHER plane!
        Last edited by pacoperez; 2014-04-05, 12:34. Reason: deleting quote partially

Comment

• Originally posted by pacoperez View Post
          It would be funny if they find a black box from ANOTHER plane!
          Especially taking into account that they only last some 30 days.

Now, if you like conspiracies, the USA dropped a pinger there to mislead the investigation away from the DIego Garcia base where they are hiding the 777. (Just in case: I don't meant it).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Now, if you like conspiracies, the USA dropped a pinger there to mislead the investigation away from the DIego Garcia base where they are hiding the 777. (Just in case: I don't meant it).
            *lol... Gabriel... that's a good one.

Still beats me, why some people think the US need to kidnap a 777. As if the US didn't have enough 777 on their own

Comment

• Cnn is reporting that a chinese ship has picked up a signal exactly like the ones black boxes emit.
              AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpeters View Post
                Cnn is reporting that a chinese ship has picked up a signal exactly like the ones black boxes emit.
                Yes! this is promising. From another article the following: "Authorities still have no idea how or why the plane vanished, and warn that unless the black box is found, the mystery may never be solved." My feeling is that unless the voice recorders were disabled so it would not erase history, it still may be very difficult to solve... maybe possible scenarios only in the end. The flight recorder will just provide flight data.... will it be able to tell of possible hypoxia conditions? but first things first...home in on that signal.

Comment

Another enigmatic ration of information. Let's say I'm a journalist at a press conference and they release this bit of information. Here's what I immediately ask:

Q: Are you actually picking up a signal with a regular frequency of 37.5kHz?

(If so , this is a manmade signal, not coming from a natural source)

Q: What other possible manmade source in the area could emit a regular frequency of 37.5kHz?

(If the answer is "nothing other than the black boxes, then it must be MH-370)

Q: So why are you unsure that this is the signal from MH-370?

Q: Once you had the signal, did you lose it again and if so how do you lose a homing signal from a stationary source?

There are the easy questions that the media keep failing to ask, despite their obviousness. It really makes me wonder wonder what's going on between the media and the governments involved.

Comment

• I have seen no information, confirmation or comment from any agency or government involved in the investigation.

This information was released by a China news agency. Probably they just released exactly what they were told to release, word by word.

I doubt there was any journalist interviewing any authority as to ask any question.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Only "black boxes' transmit on that frequency 37.5 khz. Just like the ELT, they transmit in only one frequency 121.5 mhz or 406 mhz, nothing else as far as I know is authorized to send a signal on those frequencies.
                      So, I am pretty sure they found it.
                      A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• Aha!

China's Liberation Daily reported that three people on board had heard the signals, which were not recorded as they came suddenly
                        Yes, of course, why should they be recording during an active search for one for the most challenging underwater search missions in history. I mean, hey, it came on suddenly! There was no warning, like "Ping coming up, please turn on recording devices". You don't want to waste all that reuseable recording media during an active search. I get it.

Comment

• I agree with your points, but still...
                          Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          Q: So why are you unsure that this is the signal from MH-370?

Q: Once you had the signal, did you lose it again and if so how do you lose a homing signal from a stationary source?
                          I guess after all the 'Found it!' 'Oops, no, it was a bit of wood/container/fishing net/Bigfoot', until they actually have it sitting in front of them they're not wanting to positively identify it. Not that it has stopped them so far.

And if it was at the edge of range, the signal may come and go depending on conditions.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          Aha!
                          Yes, of course, why should they be recording during an active search for one for the most challenging underwater search missions in history. I mean, hey, it came on suddenly! There was no warning, like "Ping coming up, please turn on recording devices". You don't want to waste all that reuseable recording media during an active search. I get it.
                          Also as this was a good few hundred miles north of where people had been looking before, they may have just been listening but not recording. Assuming it even has recording equipment? I don't think this was the boat towing the detector, this was just a regular boat?

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
                            I don't think this was the boat towing the detector.
                            That's correct. It wasn't one of the two boats towing the underwater mics.

Comment

That's correct. It wasn't one of the two boats towing the underwater mics.
                              A disjointed, two-bit Mickey Mouse operation is not going to find this plane. Or maybe it already has...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                                There are the easy questions that the media keep failing to ask, despite their obviousness. It really makes me wonder wonder what's going on between the media and the governments involved.
                                What's your point here?

If you are saying that these governments and their media cannot be trusted for decent information and this ping stuff may be yet another false alarm then: Yeah, major concur.

If you are genuinely bashing the media for their technical incompetence then: Wow, you just NOW noticed how they report this (and just about every other aviation incident that ever happened?)

"...the CVR of Delta 191 recorded the control tower telling the pilots to go around, but for some reason, the pilots ignored the order..."
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X