Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deliberate jump without a parachute....and lives !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deliberate jump without a parachute....and lives !!!

This guy just simply HAS to be nuts !!

The AOL.com video experience serves up the best video content from AOL and around the web, curating informative and entertaining snackable videos.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    This guy just simply HAS to be nuts !!
    Yes, and have a big pair of them too.

I liked the "flare" just before the "touchdown".

I wonder what's the stall speed of those suits.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
      Pilot jumped from airplane without a parachute and survived his fall only being cushioned by pine limbs and snow cover. His plane was on fire, he opted to jump without a parachute rather than slowly burn alive.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade
      History is a fascinating subject. Too bad these days they only teach junk history at school.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Chisov

Comment

Pre and during the early years of WWII there were some russian paratroopers that went without the 'chute - they would land in deep snow to try and minimise the casualties. I have yet to find a confirmed reference to the practice so this may be apocryphal.

The practice was discontinued due to an excessive number of casualties aparently.

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
          The practice was discontinued due to an excessive number of casualties aparently.
          Really? Imagine that!
          Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

My father related an incident he witnessed during the second world war in the Burma theatre.

A strike from the air was being planned that involved a low level parachute drop on static lines from 500 feet. Apparently the 'chutes would work sufficiently well above 400 feet.
            The Ghurkas were tasked with the assault and during the briefing were told that they would jump from 500 feet but it was their choice to do this due to the danger.

The Ghurka non coms and soldiers went into a huddle to discuss this and came back with their answer that they would prefer to jump from 200 feet.

The British officer briefing them was horrified and told them that the parachutes wouldn't open from that height.

The Ghurkas went back into a huddle to discuss the situation and came back with the agreement to jump from 500 feet.

After the briefing the British officer took a Ghurka sergeant aside and asked why they wanted to jump from 200 feet ?
            "Oh sir, that is simple" came the reply.......

"We didn't know we were getting parachutes" !!

Those mad, incredibly loyal and stupendous Ghurka soldiers were actually prepared to jump from 200 feet, knowing that there would be casualties but that some might survive to carry out the mission. !!

Comment

Pre and during the early years of WWII there were some russian paratroopers that went without the 'chute - they would land in deep snow to try and minimise the casualties. I have yet to find a confirmed reference to the practice so this may be apocryphal.

It was done only by gorillas/espionage personnel from a slow moving, low flying biplanes. Keep in mind that in continental areas of Russia affected by Siberian air currents snow has totally different properties than that we are used to. It is very dry, totally non sticky and very fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                It was done only by gorillas/espionage personnel from a slow moving, low flying biplanes. Keep in mind that in continental areas of Russia affected by Siberian air currents snow has totally different properties than that we are used to. It is very dry, totally non sticky and very fluffy.
                Now this is getting good! Russians hurling gorillas out of biplanes to fight the facist menace. What a scene that conjures up. Where did the Russians get so many disposable gorillas? No matter.

Please, continue...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Now this is getting good! Russians hurling gorillas out of biplanes to fight the facist menace. What a scene that conjures up. Where did the Russians get so many disposable gorillas? No matter.

Please, continue...
                  Espionage agents is the key word my dear Evan. Perhaps a poorly chosen wording by me, yet most of the people on this forum knew what I meant.

as for your follow up question:
                  Where did the Russians get so many disposable gorillas?

You didn't take history at highschool did you?
                  The partisans were an important and numerous force of the war. According to Soviet sources, from 90,000 partisans (including underground) by the end of 1941 it grew to 220,000 in 1942, and to more than 550,000 in 1943

Comment

Espionage agents is the key word my dear Evan. Perhaps a poorly chosen wording by me, yet most of the people on this forum knew what I meant.

as for your follow up question:

You didn't take history at highschool did you?
                    Guerrillas not gorillas. I think that was the point he was making.

Comment

[ATTACH]4857[/ATTACH]

Hmm, should I get on that airplane or not?

Comment

"Shit !!! ........ that hurt !!!

Thank God this bush was here for me to land in !"

Comment

I found this in my High School history book. The Soviets tried to ambush the 4th Panzer division in a pincer movement of biplane-hurled gorillas from the 7th and 23rd Gorilla divisions. My apologies to Peter_K.

Comment

Guerrillas not gorillas. I think that was the point he was making.
                            Thanks SYDCBRWOD. Darn English! Why do you have so many words spelled and pronounced nearly the same way meaning different things.

Comment

Thanks SYDCBRWOD. Darn English! Why do you have so many words spelled and pronounced nearly the same way meaning different things.
                              Lost in translation perhaps, but hey - your English is infinitely better than my Polish!
                              Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Working...
                              X