Mid-air collision over Santa Monica Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-air collision over Santa Monica Mountains

Apparently one of the Cessna' went down and crashed into the mountains killing both pilot and passenger and the other Cessna was able to land in a golf course with everyone onboard being relatively okay. There was a mention of flight instructors, I wonder if any of these were training flights with student pilots. It's scary this happened not to far the area I usually fly for my flight training in Long beach

Too bad when a valid post gets no replies.

Then again, what do you say- unfortuntely, this stuff happens in the light aircraft world.

On a recent airplane ride, in a 172, we came within 1/2 mile or so of a business jet- both of us operating legally, but we never would have seen the other aircraft had we not been monitoring tower that they were on a 10 mile final- with us operating well outside of the 5 mile controlled airspace.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

makes you wonder if TCAS shouldn't be required equipment on EVERYTHING that flies. perhaps not only for the aircraft but the people and property below as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        makes you wonder if TCAS shouldn't be required equipment on EVERYTHING that flies. perhaps not only for the aircraft but the people and property below as well.
        I was once royally flamed by some professionals for making a similar statement.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue was, but possibly that there are limits of TCAS to track and 'reconcile' EVERYTHING that flies?
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          Well, we are moving towards that at this moment. Or you (USA) are.

Not exactly all thing that flies, but all thing requiring transponder.
          And not exactly TCAS, but TAS (like TCAS but with no resolution commands).

One of the side-effects of the ASD-B project.
          Not that the TAS will be mandatory (at least I've heard no word on that), but it would be stupid to have an ASD-B compliant equipment and not to have TAS. Especially in these days of integrated digital avionics. Probably the manufacturers will not even ask you if you want it with TAS or not. It will come with TAS standard.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
          X