X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yash777 View Post
    I think it's crap.

Will stick to fs2004. Nothing beats it
    Actually, I have to agree with you there. Although FSX runs reasonably well on my machine, 2004 with all the bells and whistles turned right up and some pretty heavy add on sceneries included runs at a steady 30fps all the time.
    ...and I'll never quite understand why some people complain that they can't get a sim of any type to run well above 30fps !! The human eye can't distinguish any difference above 30fps anyway !! All you're doing running at rates in excess of 30fps is using processor power unnecessarily.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Well....having read all that and had a try with it all I can say is that it's a damn good thing....a damn good thing that is that it's free !

I certainly wouldn't part with money for it.

I'll stick with my FSX thanks very much.
      Yes, +1.

Could you say which aircraft did you use in MS Flight?

Afaik, there is a choice between two or three different machines.
      And you don't have gauges but you'll have to fly from the "outside the cockpit" point of view.
      Which is a tricky situation if you think of my favourite aircraft...

The only thing that I've ever flown without gauges is this motorized paraglider, which is the default choice in fsx.
      So in my eyes, Flight really is rather a game than a simulator.
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Has anyone seen trailers of X Plane 10? It absolutely pwns FSX and Flight. You can design your own airfoils too!

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Yes, +1.

Could you say which aircraft did you use in MS Flight?

Afaik, there is a choice between two or three different machines.
          And you don't have gauges but you'll have to fly from the "outside the cockpit" point of view.
          Which is a tricky situation if you think of my favourite aircraft...

The only thing that I've ever flown without gauges is this motorized paraglider, which is the default choice in fsx.
          So in my eyes, Flight really is rather a game than a simulator.
          If you read my previous posts, you'll know that MS Flight comes free with one island of Hawaii and the Icon A5 as the only plane. By subscribing a "Games for Windows - LIVE" free account you get access to the Boeing Stearman for free too. And that's all that comes for free so far.

For a pay you can get the rest of Hawaii and more airplanes. ONE of them (the P51) lacks a cockpit view. The rest of the planes so far come with a pretty functional instrument panel (as complete as you'd find in those planes). And the cockpit view is much more realistic than in previous versions too, and the "head motion" much more friendly and smooth.

The Stearman and Icon lack any IFR instrument, so you have the VFR panel and all the switches and levers. The Maule and Vans do have a six pack + VOR, ILS, ADF, DME and TXP, what make them IFR worthy. (see photos in my previous posts).

I've been playing a bit more since my last posts and I am pretty impressed with the flight model. It seems much better than FS9 or FSX. I say "seems" because there was no default Icon or Stearman in FSX. But it feels pretty natural and for the first time I feel that the stalls and spins (or at least the entry of the spins) are somehow realistic.

The graphics are also quite improved from previous versions and the motion is very smooth even with a high graphics setting and a 2+ years old PC.

There is no software development kit that would allow third parties to make sceneries and planes, and no word about whether one will be available (rumors say there won't).

There has a lot of "missions" that give you "points" and let you qualify for a higher "level" which unblocks more "missions". Some of the missions include doing things that should be discouraged rather than encouraged (like running out of fuel, buzzing boats, or smuggling suspicious cargo).

But except the first two missions that are introductory to flying, the rest you do them only if you want. You can always choose a plane, a location, a time of the year and day, a weather, and go for a free flight, just like in any previous MSFS version.

So far, yes, it is aimed more to the gamer than the simmers, mostly because of the scope (few planes, very small part of the world, no third party friendliness, not much emphasis on IFR). But the basics are there to make it a very good sim: Flight model, graphics and frame rates, and even the sounds, are clearly better than ever.

Will it ever become a "real" sim? Time will tell. So far, it's fun to "play" with it a bit, especially when you don't have to pay a cent.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Actually, I have to agree with you there. Although FSX runs reasonably well on my machine, 2004 with all the bells and whistles turned right up and some pretty heavy add on sceneries included runs at a steady 30fps all the time.
            ...and I'll never quite understand why some people complain that they can't get a sim of any type to run well above 30fps !! The human eye can't distinguish any difference above 30fps anyway !! All you're doing running at rates in excess of 30fps is using processor power unnecessarily.
            I always run FSX or Fs2004 locked at 25 or 20fps depending. Above 20fps is perfectly playable in my opinion.

Comment

I used the Icon in Flight.

Since this thread started I've resurrected my FS2004/fs9. I've downloaded some free sceneries and some excellent freeware aircraft and reinstalled my copy of FS Traffic from Just Flight.

.............And it's bloody marvellous. To be honest, it comes close to being better than FSX if only for the fact that it maintains a steady locked 25fps 100% of the time.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Couldn't agree more, Gabriel, the flight model is the best I have ever seen in any Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flight offers highly realistic flying experience, however I don't like the gaming charakter very much... .
                But there is also a simulator called "aerofly FS", it is not free but offers the best flight model I ever saw in any desktop simulation. It is just amazing. However the sim has no working virtual cockpit, just dummy switches.

Comment

Working...
                X