Anyone care to comment/discuss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone care to comment/discuss?

My first question is what type of lens was this taken with? The compression of a very long lens can make subjects in the foreground and background closer than they really are.
    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

no clue. it was posted on a news site without even a credit.

i'm assuming the jet was taking off based on the attitude, though i'm no expert.

based on my experience at toncontin, i'm having a hard time understanding how those folks could have been outside the runway area, that and there are no fences visible.

Comment

Based on the flaps setting I'd say that the aircraft is taking off.

The Spanish text is talking about why Hondurans are leaving their country and the impact of it on the Catholic Church in Honduras.

The airport there is very narrow and with the telescopic compression of the long lens the people are most likely going to or from an aircraft on the ramp.

Failing that, they're illegally trying to stow away and leave and have been caught !
        Last edited by brianw999; 2015-09-01, 13:19.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

again, it's not that i know much about this stuff, but based on what is physically in the picture i don't think it's telephoto compression.

relative to the people, the aircraft is appropriately sized.

compression would not make ground in between the runway and the walkers disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Based on the flaps setting I'd say that the aircraft is taking off.
            Yes, I agree. And based on TeeVee's favourite airline, I'd guess which airport it is.
            My rough guess: MHTG. They provide one rwy which is shorter than the shortest B744 rwy that I've known so far (TNCM).

So, I can say, I don't know much. But probably TeeVee is able to tell us which birds they use to get to MHTG.

As a Boeing man, let me utter another rough guess.

AA-B752. With RR engines.

PS: We have so many experienced men on this beloved jp platform. Don't we have any 752 pilots who wanna share the jp simulator section with me? MHTG is really short for a 744. If that weren't the case, I'd try it and show the result.
            Another question is... who provides the best solution for 757 bedroom simulators?

There is a German airline who I could ask. But the internet is so fast. I'd assume we have an answer before I open a thread in the simulator section.

When aviation becomes more than just a hobby. It's a passion.

Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-09-03, 00:06. Reason: B752
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Right now AA has changed the 757s with new A319s to Tegucigalpa. It really looks like TGU. Ramps in Toncontin are really close to the runway 02/20

Here you can find some extra information of this airport. I have been really interest to spot in TGU but the nearby zones of the airport are kind of risky in terms of security.

I would say that the shot was taken at the middle of the ramp, just were one ATR and one Saab is visible.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                again, it's not that i know much about this stuff, but based on what is physically in the picture i don't think it's telephoto compression.

relative to the people, the aircraft is appropriately sized.

compression would not make ground in between the runway and the walkers disappear.
                It looks like telephoto compression to me indeed.

You say that relative to the people the plane is properly sized. And that's what telephoto compression does.

If you have one subject at 10m and a second identical subject at 20m, the second subject is twice as far and will look half the size of the first one. Now leave the two subjects where they are but move further back so as the first subject is at 100m and the second one at 110m. Now both are at about the same distance (just 10% difference) and the sizes will be very similar.

However, the telephoto worsens the focus field depth.
                In this photo, you can see three clear planes of focus (or lack of):
                1- The people is all in focus. That means that the distance between the ones losest to the camera and the ones farthest is small compared to the distance of any of them to the camera.
                2- The plane is mildly out of focus, and the "out-of-focusness" of the wingtip is simlar to that of the wondows, which means that the distance between the wingtip and the fuselage is small compared to the distance between the plane and the camera. Also, because the wing tip and the windows look equally out of focus but different from all the people, which are in focus, this means that the distance between the wing tip and the windows is small compared to the distance between the plane and the people (or, in other words, the people is several singspans away from the plane).
                3- The trees in the background also look reasonaby sized compared to the people or the plane, but they are much more out of focus, which is an indication that they are quite far behind the plane, several wingspans again.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                X