Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are passengers so rude to flight attendants?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are passengers so rude to flight attendants?

I have been an international flight attendant for Delta since 2005. I hate my job - these days the passengers have no class!

Just yesterday, I was sitting in my jump seat reading the new issue of Cosmo in F when the call bell went off. I got up ( ) turned it off, and walked back to my seat. Five minutes later, he walked up to me and asked if he could have a cup of tea...the nerves on this guy! Couldn't he see I was in the middle of a magazine?! I told him to stop being aggressive & to sit down, or I will call the captain and have police waiting for you on arrival.

I am a certified safety professional, my job is to ensure the safety of the aircraft & it's passengers, NOT push a heavy cart down the aisle to serve you food & drinks.

I am sure many of my fellow cabin crew members will agree with me, am I right??

Anyway, I'm off to sit by the pool sipping a hard earned drink enjoying the rest of my 48 hour layover in Honolulu

lol nowadays I think it's the opposite: flight attendants are rude to passengers
    My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

I really hope this is a joke.
      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCabinCrew View Post
        I have been an international flight attendant for Delta since 2005. I hate my job - these days the passengers have no class!

Just yesterday, I was sitting in my jump seat reading the new issue of Cosmo in F when the call bell went off. I got up ( ) turned it off, and walked back to my seat. Five minutes later, he walked up to me and asked if he could have a cup of tea...the nerves on this guy! Couldn't he see I was in the middle of a magazine?! I told him to stop being aggressive & to sit down, or I will call the captain and have police waiting for you on arrival.

I am a certified safety professional, my job is to ensure the safety of the aircraft & it's passengers, NOT push a heavy cart down the aisle to serve you food & drinks.

Anyway, I'm off to sit by the pool sipping a hard earned drink enjoying the rest of my 48 hour layover in Honolulu
        All he wanted was a cup of tea, for crying out loud. You ignored him the first time - what was he supposed to do? Then you threatened and bullied him. I thought this was a service industry.

He paid hundreds of dollars for the honor of being treated like a convicted felon as he made his way through security and perhaps customs; with trembling hands he brought his one allowed carry-on bag, the personal contents of which were scrutinized by a security guard, an x-ray machine, and a dog; at last he was shoehorned into a seat where he was probably served no meal, and was subjected to snarly cabin crew. God knows how many hours he had already been traveling or waiting in that one airport.

Last time I checked, the cabin crew did push a cart down the aisle with beverages, not to mention the fact they always look busy, not usually reading a magazine.

Perhaps you hate your job for a reason. Perhaps you need to work with something other than people.

Then again, perhaps your post is merely bait.

Comment

Laughing heartily at this post and that anyone would miss the humor.

Comment

I remember when i flew on AirNZ, well basically every time, I've found that the flight attendants do this funny thing, they provide drinks and food, and answer questions that you may have, and they do it with a smile and make sure you understand any answers you have and seem happy to do these things for you. I wish there was a word for it, er, ahh ummmmmmmm, i know there must be a word or words for it wait, thats it, good service!

Then I flew on Singapore Airlines, and they also gave me this funny thing called good service.

And once upon a time when i flew on Qantas, despite the many delays the flight attendants tried very hard to ensure that we got snacks and drinks despite the fact we hadn't even taken off. I thought in that situation it was still good service.

Perhaps if you customers have flown on airlines which provide good service they may expect it from you?

And may I ask, what have you done that made it a hard earned drink?

I'm not overly sure if this is a serious post or not, so i've tried to reply with a serious message in a non serious way.
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
              Laughing heartily at this post and that anyone would miss the humor.
              If that's the case, it's a bit out of place in the safety forum?

Also, the poster created a username just to make one point on this forum?

Should never reply to a post #1. Guess I never learn.

Comment

Just been up north visiting family, came back yesterday on Air NZ;
                I always get struck by the enthusiasm with Air NZ - never ever met a crabby staff member.
                (I left my headphones in the terminal and they let me get off the plane without any scrutiny to get them)

Come to think of it, Singapore/Qantas/Pacific Blue/Virigin Australia/British Airways... It must be a North American thing... Dare I say it Jetstar even slightly impressed me...
                Note: I did not copy PMN, I am in fact obsessed with both (ask anyone who knows me and they would confirm that I talk constantly about these things

Comment

Fish on!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... line spools out!
                  Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Hahaha. A nice joke.

But if it's not a joke, this post from an alleged Delta flight attendant explains exactly why I only fly with Asian airlines whenever possible, even when their ticket price is more expensive, whether that's CX, SQ, TG, NH, JL or even CA and CZ.

Now while I am at that, for all the flight attendants in US who think they are underpaid, think again, the FAs in Asian carriers do not earn that much over you. CX's FAs salary is around US$2000 a month, and HongKong is one of the most expensive place to live in in the world, comparable to New York and London. And by the way, there is no Defined Benefit Pension Plan in HongKong, not in CX, not in any employers.
                    Next:
                    None Planned

Comment

Kudos to the OP for a sense of humor- though I'd bet a bag of mini-pretzels that some FA's are going to call bull on your "sit by the pool" comment.

...now, do we want to get serious?

...we (the customer) go to the internet and choose the cheapest flight.

...they (the airline) figures out how to do things cheaper and cheaper.

...next thing you know, you get systematicially crappy customer service.

Throw a thundershower somewhere in the USA, or blow a fuse and watch everything melt down because there's not an extra plane, extra slop in the schedule, extra mechanic, nor even an extra fuse.

Then the flight attendants (and gate agents)...have to invent BS to say that the delay was unavoidable and you are SOL to make it to your wedding, important business meeting, dying family member's bedside whatever...

...It has to be TOUGH for them to ACT like things are so cool and to ACT like they are glad you are on board when you know that there's 1% (do the math on an airliner) that is going to be a total a$$ to you the FA...and with the tougher service that 1% becomes 2%.

Why try? Follow procedure, Give them thier coke, gather the trash, sell the credit card offer, and give them the safety briefing...

On the one hand, the poor suckers desere a break...just trying to do the job...on the other hand, the bean counter and his boss and the bosses boss- they aren't going to pay attention to the plight of the passengers...maybe if the FA's get bitched out enough the airline will listen....

Nope...who has the cheapest fare on the interweb?
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                        I really hope this is a joke.
                        Pretty sure it is...

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
                        (...) Then again, perhaps your post is merely bait.
                        Pretty sure it was...

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
                        If that's the case, it's a bit out of place in the safety forum?(...)
                        Well - would have to agree with that...

But still I'd like to add a serious thought: Passengers are rude to flight attendants, because they are scared of the situation of being in a plane.

Comment

Airline Troll alert!!! [whoop] [whoop]

That out of the way.

There are rude flight attendants and rude passengers. There are nice versions of both as well.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                            ..... There are rude flight attendants and rude passengers...........
                            Very true.

Tell me though..........why are most of those found on American based airlines ?

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Very true.

Tell me though..........why are most of those found on American based airlines ?

I'm not sure there's any empirical data to support your claim. However, assuming what you say is true, here are some considerations:

1. America was founded on - amongst other things - the value of personal liberties, including the right to privacy, and the freedom to travel between states. In few other domains do we find these liberties trod upon so gratuitously as in air travel.
                              2. The typical airline passenger is accustomed to the service industry treating him or her as always being in the right. Such is not the case anymore with airline travel.
                              3. Sense of entitlement - both passengers and flight attendants feel that they are hard done by, or have the right to all manner of privileges, and these interests often compete.
                              4. America is not a society of manners in the way that the UK is, so right off the bat they are disadvantaged by such a comparison. Perhaps there is a tradeoff, though?
                              5. Pay for service. When you pay for an airline ticket, there is an implicit expectation of what that purchase will entail, including a modicum of service and hospitality. At least in these parts.

And so on. It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges - cultural differences play a large role.

Comment

Working...
                              X