Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consistency vs. adding more "interesting" photos to the database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could also mention that for the other shot on the frontpage, the screener even took the effort to completely correct the info for you.

Comment

And the fact that the shot with the DC-8's is linked on Facebook.....
      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Thanks Stefan for amending it. Just a question though, what was amended as I cannot see that.

ErwinS,
        I did not know it was linked to Facebook. I certainly didn't do it and I've not seen it linked to any of my friend's facebooks. Must be another JP user which has chosen to do this.

...anyway back to the topic at hand!
        Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

You up-loaded an airport overview (ramp) with the info for one of the planes and "airport overview" category selected.

Comment

Alex, you ask...What is interesting ?

For me...
            -SXM style shots where the aircraft is the major focal point. (I say SXM style because there are other locations with low "over-the-road" approaches, Skiathos and Phuket being two others that spring to mind. If you really want to see barely dressed women then I can give you, in a plain brown envelope, a list of MUCH better websites !)
            -Helicopters. (which are sometimes quite high hitters surprisingly)
            -Small props. (Gerardo...sit on your hands )
            -Dawn / dusk shots with the light down the throat of the engines. (Darryl Morrell, take a bow.)
            -Static night shots. (for me, these have to be perfect. No excuse for anything else when the camera is on a tripod and you have the time to plan the shot.)
            -Panning night shots. (Anyone who can pull this off perfectly gets my vote)
            -Cockpit shots (provided the interior and exterior views are exposure matched)
            -Business class and First class cabin shots. (economy class holds no interest at all for me.)
            -Very rare captures. (this is where the rules sometimes get bent if we need to.)
            -And any other shot where the photographer has obviously thought about what they are doing rather than just sitting behind a camera and going "click" on fast motor drive. The composition of the Tupolev Backfire that we discussed is a prime example of this.

That's my preferences.

Dislikes...
            -Economy class interiors.
            -Control tower exteriors.
            -Terminal shots with not enough aviation content.(especially exteriors)
            -Landing gear. (in fact, really any individual part of an aircraft)
            .....and finally, nothing to do with screening, those folks who seem to find the need to link a bog standard, nothing special image to a whole bunch of social network sites merely to gain "hits". It's as if hits establish them at the top of the tree. Really sad.

Doesn't mean that I won't screen anything else differently though just because I don't hold a preference for the subject.

And then we come to the other 36 team members with screening privileges, all of whom will have their own personal list of prefences and their own view of what is interesting.
            Throw that lot into the pot and we are without doubt covering just about every type, motive and interest factor of images possible.

Back that screening expertise up with probably the most powerful set of screening aids available to probably any other website (sounds like a Swedish beer advert ?) and you've got a pretty damn good screening team quite capable of giving the customer what they want. Yes, some shots will miss out and not get in. Others will get in that possibly should not.

So, do we need to change anything ?

Right now I would say no....

....but additions ? that's another story.
            The crew are currently discussing ways of expanding on the artistic theme. Maybe some HDR, but it needs to be true HDR, not a tone mapped single image that is merely a (usually horribly) manipulated image. Artistic use of backlight, artistic use of fill flash, maybe using coloured gels.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by CO777/200 View Post
              Regarding to the SXM shots.

Don't know if its only my opinion but this style of pics starts to get kinda boring!! Ten years ago it was amazing to see this kind of pictures, with people on a beach and a 747 approaching over there heads. But nowadays its a common sight on every aviation photos website and I don't even click on them anymore. So I would handle pics from SXM like every other upload.
              Hi,
              I think for many of the more experienced aviation enthusiasts, the SXM shots might start to get a little "usual", but for many new airplane fans who don't even know about St Maarten, I think it is still stunning for them. I just learned about St Maarten a few years ago and is still amazed by the landings/takeoffs there, and I wish I could go there someday.
              St Maarten, LAX air to air shots, Innsbruck, etc are those that never get old

Comment

Its a very very difficult issue and hard to decide, what is interesting and what is not.
                As already mentioned, every screener has its likes and dislikes. So who can tell us or who decides which picture is interesting/popular and which not. Where can we draw the line?
                Great example is SXM. Almost 10000th pictures in the database. I just had a quick look at the last 100 added shots. I found at least 3 backlit pictures which were accepted because you can see some bikini girls on it. On the other side there is Collins picture from Mojave, which I personally find much more interesting, but was rejected for being backlit.

I don't wanna judge here about the screening results!!
                Just wanna like to know if its the right way to accept more interesting shots (where almost every body has an other opinion here) and getting more generously in the consistency of screening.

BTW I've voted for 'NO'

Comment

Working...
                X