Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami spotting

Hello guys,

I'm back after a period of few photographing and uploading plane pictures. I put some pics in the queue and will await the results.

Better (read: sunnier!) weather is coming, so I guess I'll be out taking pictures more often. Looking forward to it already

What I am also looking forward to is my May trip to Miami

The question, of course, how is spotting at Miami airport? A friend of mine told me there are holes in the fence(s) to facilitate photographing??

Will police send me away or is taking pictures allowed at or around Miami airport?

Thanks and greets,

Hinkelbein

Simple answer: Spotting at Miami is amazing.

There are two primary spotting locations at MIA, the photo holes and the El Dorado Furniture location.

The photo holes are located off of NW 25th Street, just past the US Customs building. Don't try to park at Customs, look for a small wooded area across the street with a driveway, most people park there. The photo holes are cut in the fence at just about eye level and provide a great view of arrivals and departures on Rwy 12, 8L, and 8R. The area is marked as an official spotting area and you shouldn't have any hassle from law enforcement (unless you do something to attract undue attention to yourself.) There isn't any real shade or anywhere to rest (it's just a open grass lot) at the photo holes, so if you plan on staying for any length of time bring some water or a chair of some kind.
    In my opinion, the photo holes are interesting, but get boring pretty quickly. Most of the traffic is limited to domestic traffic (Air France and a few others typically use Rwy 12, but get used to a lot of American 738s) and without shade on a Florida day it gets hot really quick.

Example Photo from the Photo Holes

My favorite location at Miami overlooks Runway 9, and is known commonly as "The Furniture Store Spot." This location is just off of 12th Street (south side of the airport), on a side road just before the El Dorado Furniture. The side street dead-ends into a set of railroad tracks, which are located directly adjacent to the airport perimeter. There are a number of boulders and concrete K-Rails which you can stand on for elevation, and large shade trees make for a comfortable day. This location is pretty popular with locals who bring children and spotters alike. Police cruise by pretty often, but I've never seen anyone stopped or hassled - just try not to park in the middle of the street or otherwise in the way.
    This location overlooks Runway 9, which sees the vast majority of heavy arrivals and most cargo flights (arrivals and departures.) Due to the vast variety of planes (anything from American Eagle ATRs to Virgin A340s to every South American airline you've ever heard of), I could easily spend a whole day at this one location.

Example at the Runway 9 Location

While you're in the area, there are a couple other airports that are worth checking out. Fort Lauderdale (FLL) is about a half hour north on I-95 and has a pair of great spotting locations equivilant to those at MIA. The variety of planes isn't so great, but still a fun airport to spend an afternoon at.
    If you're looking for good GA spotting, Opa Locka (OPF - 20 mins North of Miami) and Fort Lauderdale Exec (FXE - 45 minutes north of Miami) both offer some great opportunities. FXE has a small assortment of boneyard-type aircraft, and also has an official spotting location to view the frequent biz-jet traffic. OPF has loads of abandoned and boneyard aircraft, and has dozens of through-the-fence spotting opportunities (looking for an AN-12? How about a DC-3,-4,-6,-7,-8,-9, and -10 in the same place at the same time? OPF is your place.)

Example photos at FLL, FXE, and OPF, respectively.

I hope you enjoy your time in Miami, it's probably some of the best spotting you'll find in the US!

Comment

KPWM,

Thank you so much for this great answer! It is really helpful. I'll take a print with me on the trip, so I can check out the places you mention.

And about local/domestic aviation traffic: it's great for me, since I do not see much US domestic traffic since I live in the Netherlands

I am reallly looking forward to it, and when the time comes, I hope to share my results with you all.

Thanks!

Hinkelbein

Comment

If your willing to buy me a ticket, I will show you the most beautiful spottingplaces!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
          If your willing to buy me a ticket, I will show you the most beautiful spottingplaces!
          I bet you will, will you also carry my suitcase?

Comment

I'm in Miami right now and had plans to do som spotting at MIA today. But it seems like they are going to be starting and landing from the east today. Is there any good spottinglocation at rwy 27 in these conditions? Does the "holes" still work or will the planes be to far away for a 300 mm lens?

Comment

Nice thread with some very usefull information!!! Going to Miami in about 2 months time I have a few questions myself about Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

I have heard that there is a carpark in the airport where photos are allowed and possible from, wich one is that???

At what time of day is the most traffic, mornings, afternoons? or all day?

Thanks.....
              Regards
              Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

09 Early Morning Arrivals

Folks,

I will likely have a brief window for spotting in Miami in mid April. Looks like I'll have a shot at getting a few of the early morning Cargo/South American arrivals.

Looking at Suncalc, for 09 arrivals the sun will favour the photographer being north of of the runway until 9am or so.

So, I am curious if it is still possible to get shots from the top of the cargo garage as found here on google maps:

25.789681,-80.307109

If not there, is it allowed/safe to park alongside NW 16th St. in order to catch 09 arrivals. Of course I would shift over to el Dorado once the sun crosses the runway.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Last time I was there two years ago and I hadn't any problems to get on the cargo garage. Guess its still possible to get there.

Comment

Julian,

Thanks for the reply. The spot looks ideal for early morning arrivals so I'll give it a go.

cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X