Holy CA CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy CA CA

Most interesting- two lines of discussion...(Edit: or classic swiss cheese layers as we like to say)

A driverless van coasts away from the ramp and onto an active runway!

1) How in the hell does a van not get some sort of parking gear/parking brake/chocks, but instead is able to roll all the way from the ramp, to active taxiways, and then to an active runway...most interesting procedures and a most interesting and significant slope at this airport!

2) Two orders to go-around were missed (Was Boeing Bobby flying an E-170 last year?)

Fri, Mar 15: A plane landing at Toronto's Pearson Airport narrowly missed a van that had rolled onto the runway. Christina Stevens reports. For more info, pl...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Most interesting- two lines of discussion...

A driverless van coasts away from the ramp and onto an active runway!

1) How in the hell does a van not get some sort of parking gear/parking brake/chocks, but instead is able to roll all the way from the ramp, to active taxiways, and then to an active runway...most interesting procedures and a most interesting and significant slope at this airport!

2) Two orders to go-around were missed (Was Boeing Bobby flying an E-170 last year?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVhfUBUvjc

Someone is very bored, go back and play your flight simulator game! Funny you can't even get your facts straight, it was an EMB 190!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      Someone is very bored, go back and play your flight simulator game! Funny you can't even get your facts straight, it was an EMB 190!
      Whoops, yeah, sorry, that changes everything about this incident.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

FWIW, the video shows a -175, which Air Canada no longer operates, but that's a whole separate story.

Comment

In Quebec, a whole train full of petroleum did it. Happens.

Comment

Wasn't there a thread about this incident on here shortly after it happened (in 2013)? Can't seem to find it, though.

Comment

Slow news week for you 3WE ?

Re: the van. Three possibilities.
              1. Handbrake not applied.
              2. Handbrake applied, brakes cool, gravity overcomes handbrake friction, van rolls away.
              3. President Obama employs secret service agents to dress as Mormon elders to release the vehicle in an attempt to discredit them and thereby stop them knocking on our doors on Christmas Day when we're cooking the turkey. !

As for the go-arounds ignored ? The pilots were probably Mormons seeking martyrdom.

(Apologies to any Mormons here, tongue is very firmly in cheek)
              Last edited by brianw999; 2014-08-01, 07:01.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by A Forum Member
                President Obama employs secret service agents to dress as Mormon elders to release the vehicle in an attempt to discredit them and thereby stop them knocking on our doors on Christmas Day when we're cooking the turkey.
                Brian- we may need some moderation...I think ATFS may be back under a new USERID.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Brian- we may need some moderation...I think ATFS may be back under a new USERID.
                  My only hope is that I brought a smile to some faces !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    My only hope is that I brought a smile to some faces !
                    You did

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                      Wasn't there a thread about this incident on here shortly after it happened (in 2013)? Can't seem to find it, though.
                      I do not remember this incident- just stumbled on it on Youtube.

I know you can't regulate everything, but it makes you wonder if there doesn't need to be some sort of safety backup when the ramp runs significantly down hill and straight at a runway...guard rail, eliminate direct paths, special vehicle securing processes...

Some elusive middle ground between ban all airplanes and do nothing....???

Comment

The simplest and easiest method to police would probably be to tell all vehicle users to ensure that the parking brake is fully applied, transmissions are left in PARK for auto gears and in low gear for manual, steering turned to full lock and keys removed and hung on a hook visible in the windscreen. At least that way the vehicle will be secured before the driver gets out of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X