American Airlines 757 Emergency Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Airlines 757 Emergency Landing

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An American Airlines Inc plane made an emergency landing in San Francisco on Monday after a number of interior wall panels came loose mid-flight, an airline spokesman said. The flight, carrying 184 passengers and six crew, was en route for Dallas when the panels started to split at the seams, making a loud popping sound, American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said. The plane was a Boeing 757, according to flight tracking website FlightAware.com. ...

After reading the article, I'd say this thread - as well as the Yahoo news article - have the wrong title. This was not an emergency landing but just an unscheduled landing.
    We all (especially the media) need to remember that there is not always an actual emergency when someone screams on a plane

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
      We all (especially the media) need to remember that there is not always an actual emergency when someone screams on a plane
      Ok, but there is one every time a pilot says "emergency" (or mayday or pan).

So the real question before judging is... Did the pilot declare an emergency?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

So the real question before judging is... Did the pilot declare an emergency?
        Good point... The Yahoo article gives no info about that whatsoever, though...

Comment

Here's a video of it

An American Airlines flight heading from San Francisco to Dallas made an emergency landing after the cabin's wall panels cracked loose.
          AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
          the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Well, after the BBC vido, the questoin of whether the crew actually declared an emergency still remains unanswered. However, I assume that if the captain elects to return to the point of origin after one hour of flight (meaning he retraces his route for another hour) this was NOT an emergency. If it had been, he would/should have put the plane on the ground asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
              I assume that if the captain elects to return to the point of origin after one hour of flight (meaning he retraces his route for another hour) this was NOT an emergency. If it had been, he would/should have put the plane on the ground asap.
              Not necessarily.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Not necessarily.
                  Are you talking about a trivial case like the pilot saying to the flight attendant "my daughter works in the emergency room of the local hospital" or the pilot replying to the ATC "no, we are not declaring an emergency" or are you being serious?

Comment

Are you talking about a trivial case like the pilot saying to the flight attendant "my daughter works in the emergency room of the local hospital" or the pilot replying to the ATC "no, we are not declaring an emergency" or are you being serious?
                    I'm talking about, for instance, an Air France flight from Rio to CDG encountering severe turbulence and declaring Mayday so that nearby traffic will be vigilantly aware that they are changing flight level. They are in no real danger otherwise. I don't consider that an actual emergency; I consider that an urgency at most. But Mayday and Pan are intended to get radio attention before the situation is declared, which is not always an actual emergency requiring an immediate descent. .

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      I'm talking about, for instance, an Air France flight from Rio to CDG encountering severe turbulence and declaring Mayday so that nearby traffic will be vigilantly aware that they are changing flight level. They are in no real danger otherwise. I don't consider that an actual emergency; I consider that an urgency at most. But Mayday and Pan are intended to get radio attention before the situation is declared, which is not always an actual emergency requiring an immediate descent. .

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42380873&opt=0
                      Oh, I knew that this semantics of emergency vs urgency would come out.
                      Yes, there are two different definitions, however the FAA treats both equally. They will clear the airspace, ask for intentions instead of giving clearances, give priority, offer assistance and emergency services (depending on the situation, of course).

I also knew that the semantics between a "real" emergency and just the statement of an emergency would come out. But when a pilot declares itself in emergency (and all "emergency", "mayday" and "pan" worn, but there are others, it is treated as a real one. And one very good reason to declare an emergency is when you cannot or will not honor the clearance, for example the latitude but not only that.

Take the case of a fuel emergency. You were approaching for landing and have your required fuel for a go around and flight to the alternate + 30 minutes hold. Then you receive a call "hold, expect landing clearance in 40 minutes". You have enough fuel for that and land at your intended destination with more than 30 minutes of fuel, but if you had to go around, you would still have enough fuel to fly and land at your alternate but with less than 30 minutes reserve. You explain that to the controller but he says that the airspace is too busy and can accommodate you sooner. Ah, no? I can: "Emergency, low fuel, straight in to 24R". And it's not that you can do it. You ARE REQUIRED to do it as soon as you estimate that the current course of action may have you landing with less than the required final reserve.

The airplane is never in real danger (because the pilot was not going to fly until dry even if cleared to do so). But the pilot exercised his PIC authority to deviate from a clearance in the name of safety, and to do so he has to declare an emergency (well, declaring one will make his life easier later), and the ATC will clear the airspace for him.

While I don't like this pilot's reaction (and ATC could have done better by saying "fly runway heading, expect clearance for 31R in one minute"), see how it works:
                      On May 4th, 2010, an American Airlines Boeing 767-200 approaching runway 22L at JFK opts to abort its approach due to high crosswind and low fuel which would...

This was an emergency, even an overreacted one, but look all that happened, and the plane was never ever in any danger whatsoever.

Comment

I think, when your airplanes are literally coming apart on the inside, there is an emergency, but it's in a management office already on the ground somewhere. I can see them reasonably declaring a corporate mayday over this.

Comment

Working...
                        X