No announcement yet.

Shameless FAA Propaganda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EconomyClass,you are turning into ATFS_Crash's son,except without babbaling about politics
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Dirigable.
      Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
      Hindenburg!!!!!
      Raise you a Zeppelin

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
        Raise you a Zeppelin
        Not if it's Led!

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
          You and EconomyClass are cut off the same block (nearly the same).
          Isnt it chips off the same block,smart one??

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
            Not if it's Led!
            Ok then... I'll give you No Quarter in the Good Times / Bad Times, and in the interests of a complete Communication Breakdown... how about I raise you a pencil? Doh!... that's lead as well.

OK... I goddit... I'll raise you a Montgolfier!

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

You Shook Me with that response.

Comment

Then I suggest you take the Stairway to Heaven !!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Finally, a thread which ATFS is on which is worth reading!..... Bring It On Home boys!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                    Did some calculations using 2006 data. 43,400 fatalities in 2006. 251 million cars. 11,600 average annual miles driven. That's 9.3 trillion miles. And the number of deaths per mile is .000000015. Multiply that by the 5 miles I drive to work (not being able to board an airliner) and that's .000000075 chances of dying...
                    250 days a year, twice a day, for 40 years - that's 100000 miles and your chances are in fact 0.15%.
                    Now what are the chances for 100000 miles in a jet, again?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                      And as I said, the world doesn't depend on the air lanes. It depends on the roads, without which we wouldnt really need planes.
                      I strongly disagree with this.
                      Roads do not span entire oceans. Boats cannot match the speed and overall comfort of an aircraft.

A child in Alaska needs a heart transplant. The donor lives in Florida. Chances are, that kid would be dead by the time the heart arrives by car/truck/train. Organs as well as other biological items are often flown out by plane if the distances between locations are too great/risky to take by car. A large majority of perishable goods are shipped by aircraft because it's faster and it gets to the customer in a more desirable state.

Another factor you are completely negating here, is the traffic impact that a lack of air travel would create on the rest of the world. Many countries and regions are barely able to fund their infrastructure as is, how are they supposed to cope with already crumbling roads and bridges suddenly under a huge traffic load because companies now have to drive their cargo to their destinations? Our routes and highways would become congested with traffic, because rather than flying from Vancouver to try to make an important business meeting in New York, one must drive. If anything, a complete lack of airplanes would make travel slower and more dangerous. You can't just remove one factor and expect everything to stay the same, because it wouldn't. There would be even more cars on the roads and in most places, the infrastructure will not handle it. An increase in traffic drastically shortens the lifespan of our roads, bridges, and railways which will lead to pot holes, delaminating concrete, crumbling bridges, and frustrated citizens. We don't want another incident like I-35W, do we?

Also, sitting down for any great length of time, day after day, i.e. while driving from one distant location to another, is seriously detrimental to the physical body.

In otherwords, outright omitting air travel creates a serious problem for land based infrastructure.

Comment

well said mzk49o1

Comment

I win, a pair of Blimps beats a full hangar.

I believe the expression is ..... "cut from the same bolt" ..... as in cloth?

But, that's a horse of a different feather ...

Sorry, but cliches like where this thread is going, just ain't m cup of tea.

Ah! We'll burn that bridge when we get to it?

Or was it bush? Like, we'll burn that bush when we get to it?
                          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Since we're leveling the playing field and using stats, EC please
                            Tell me, how many domestic flights were there in the US in 2006 which resulted in a fatality.
                            Then, just estimate how many flights there were, have a guess on average length and work out that statistic.....
                            Sam Rudge
                            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I don't really get the purpose of this thread... usually fatality statistics are shown by the airline industry in order to prove to people who may feel uneasy about flying that the transportation mode is intrinsically safe.

By quoting the number of fatalities "per passenger per mile", they are overdoing a bit, twisting the number just a little bit into their direction. Fact is that "on average" (your personal mileage my vary, of course), your risk of dying is about four times higher when you board an aircraft, than when boarding a car. Keep in mind that actually both risks are in fact minute! So no need to shut down either industry...

Comment

Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
                                I don't really get the purpose of this thread... usually fatality statistics are shown by the airline industry in order to prove to people who may feel uneasy about flying that the transportation mode is intrinsically safe.

By quoting the number of fatalities "per passenger per mile", they are overdoing a bit, twisting the number just a little bit into their direction. Fact is that "on average" (your personal mileage my vary, of course), your risk of dying is about four times higher when you board an aircraft, than when boarding a car. Keep in mind that actually both risks are in fact minute! So no need to shut down either industry...
                                What about looking at it from a personal experience point of view.

In my life time i have had a personal connection with two people who have died in a aviation accidents. One was doing low level military aerobatics which you would have to concede is high risk. The other dies in a General Aviation accident which is not as risky but the aircraft was experimental and he had a mechanical failure.
                                But i have no knowledge of anyone i know personally who has been killed or even injured in a Commercial Aviation accident.

Two might not sound like many (or it might sound like a lot depending on your own personal circumstances) But to put things into perspective. I have been working in aviation for 15 years in both military and commercial. So statistically i would know more people who fly more often then the average Joe on the street because my job puts me in contact with people who are not only flying once a year but are flying up to 4 or 5 times a day.
                                To increase the odds that i might know more my own father has flown as a passenger all over the would for the last 35 years with most years flying probably once a month including on some of the more riskier airlines and amazingly he is still alive.

Now lets look at my experience of people i know who have been killed in road accidents. From what i can recall i know of at least 6. Additional to that i know many people who have been involved in a road accident at some point. Just last year my mother-in-laws car was destroyed by a truck while she sat waiting at traffic lights. She was only 3 km from home. She was sore but otherwise ok. Often my two small kids travel with her and my daughter would have surely been killed as the rear left side where here car seat was was squashed into the front passenger seat area. A family friend just last week was T-Boned just 5km from home and his car is a write-off. A guy i work with had his car written -off after being hit by a guy who did not give way at a round-a-bout. Most people i know have had some form of accident from a simple bump to a destroyed vehicle

This does not even account for the number of road accidents i have seen happen of passed on the 15km of road i drive to and from work. But i have never seen a aircraft crash on my way to work considering i work at the airport and on my drive i can see the aircraft take off and land during the entire trip.

So how on earth is it 4 time more dangerous to board an aircraft than hop in a car?

Comment

Working...
                                X