Off By heart Drill Engine Shutdown 737 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off By heart Drill Engine Shutdown 737 800

Hello, long time away, I was in India. Have story outline but am stuck on tech details (as usual). Please, can some kind knowledgeable person advise where I can see the emergency engine shutdown procedutre and checklist for 737 800? Think this might be OBH drill but not sure. Also, if plane on fire and passengers are EV ing, would pilot/s help or would they just clear off quick like?

Originally posted by Jingogunner View Post
    Hello, long time away, I was in India. Have story outline but am stuck on tech details (as usual). Please, can some kind knowledgeable person advise where I can see the emergency engine shutdown procedutre and checklist for 737 800? Think this might be OBH drill but not sure. Also, if plane on fire and passengers are EV ing, would pilot/s help or would they just clear off quick like?
    There are a couple of checklists you might be referring to. Here is the engine shutdown checklist. The other you may be referring to is the Engine Fire, Severe Damage, or Separation checklist which involves the use of the fire handles, etc.

Also, this checklist takes you through the shutdown of the engine. There's another for the approach and landing. If you want the whole thing, or the fire, severe damage, or separation checklist, let me know.

BTW...at most airlines the Captain stays on the airplane and makes sure everyone gets off. The first officer is one of the first down the slide and he assists with the evacuation not he ground, collecting the people, directing them to a safe assembly point where they will be together yet out of the way of the emergency equipment, etc.

Here's a 737 checklist from earlier in my career (my current carrier doesn't allow the sharing of checklists and such, but a Boeing is a Boeing and they're very similar. I suspect if I were to get my dad's checklist from the 737 from 40 years ago it would be about the same):

Engine Failure or Shutdown

One of these occurs:
    • An engine failure
    • An ENG FAIL alert shows
    • An engine flameout
    • Another checklist directs to an engine
    shutdown.
    Note: If severe damage is suspected:

Go to the ENGINE FIRE OR ENGINE SEVERE
    DAMAGE OR SEPARATION checklist
    1 Do an engine shutdown only when flight conditions allow.

2 Autothrottle (if engaged) ............................................ Disengage

3 Thrust lever
    (affected engine) .......................................... Close
    4 If conditions allow:
    Run the engine for three minutes at idle thrust.

CAUTION: If engine does not operate normally at idle, or oil
    pressure is at or below red line, shutdown engine
    immediately.

5 Engine start lever
    (affected engine) ........................................ CUTOFF

6 If APU bleed air is required for aircraft pressurization, do not
    turn the left pack switch OFF.

7 PACK switch (affected side) ................................................ OFF

8 If APU is available for start:
    APU ..................................................................... START
    When APU is running:
    APU GEN switch (affected side) .................................ON

9 Balance fuel as needed.

10 If wing anti–ice is needed:
    ISOLATION VALVE switch ............................................... AUTO

11 Plan to land at the nearest suitable airport.

12 Choose one:
    If Considering a restart of the engine:
    Go to the ENGINE START - INFLIGHT
    checklist.
    If not considering a restart of the engine:
    Go to the ONE ENGINE INOPERATIVE
    LANDING checklist.
    END
    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Here's the Fire, severe damage, and separation (also from a previous airline, but current lists are similar. Heck, the same checklist in my dad's 727 AND 737 manuals from the 1970's are almost verbatim):

Condition: One or more of these occur:
      • Engine fire warning
      • Airframe vibrations and/or abnormal engine
      indications
      • Engine separation.
      1 Autothrottle (if engaged) ............................................ Disengage
      2 Thrust lever
      (affected engine) ................................................. Close
      3 Engine start lever
      (affected engine) ........................................ CUTOFF
      4 Engine fire switch
      (affected engine) .................................................. Pull
      To manually unlock the engine fire switch, press the override
      and pull.
      5 If the engine fire switch or ENG OVERHEAT light stays
      illuminated:
      Engine fire switch ..................................... Rotate to the stop
      and hold for 1 second
      If after 30 seconds the engine fire switch or ENG
      OVERHEAT light stays illuminated:
      Engine fire switch ..................... Rotate to the other stop
      and hold for 1 second
      6 In flight: Go to step 7
      On the ground:
      If Engine fire switch extinguishes:
      END
      If Engine fire switch stays illuminated:
      Go to the EVACUATION checklist
      END
      7 If high airframe vibration occurs and continues after the engine
      is shut down:
      Reduce airspeed and descend to a safe
      altitude which results in an acceptable vibration level.
      If high vibration returns and further airspeed reduction and
      descent are not practicable, increasing airspeed may
      reduce vibration.
      8 ISOLATION VALVE switch ............................................. CLOSE
      9 If APU bleed air is required for aircraft pressurization, do not
      close the APU bleed valve or turn the left pack switch OFF and go to step 12,
      otherwise:
      10 PACK switch (affected side)................................................ OFF

11 APU BLEED air switch ........................................................ OFF
      12 If APU is available for start:
      APU ..................................................................... START
      When APU is running:
      APU GEN switch (affected side) ........................ ON
      Then go to step 13
      If APU is not available:
      13 Balance fuel as needed.
      14 If wing anti–ice is needed:
      ISOLATION VALVE switch (after fire has been
      extinguished) ........................................................ AUTO
      15 Plan to land at the nearest suitable airport.
      Go to the ONE ENGINE INOPERATIVE
      LANDING checklist.
      END
      The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Thank you so much for these lists, Mr Snydersnapshots, that is extremely kind of you and I am excited by having such authentic material for my story. I will advise when I post it on this site. I may have other questions arise as I write it. I think the abnormal eng indication list is the most promising. Thank you so much.

Comment

Hello, long time away, I was in India.
          They don't have internet access in India?

Comment

Thank you for the query, Mr ATLcrew. Yes,they have internet access in India. Please feel free to comment, or ask more questions.

Comment

I've never heard the term OBH Drill. Memory Item sounds more familiar.

Comment

Off By Heart Drill

Used by many aviation writers.

Comment

Used by many aviation writers.
                  Any examples? I'm genuinely curious.

Comment

I've never heard the term either. The OP lists the UK as their home and while the overwhelming majority of my flying time has been in the US, I did fly with the RAF for several years and never heard the term there.
                    Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
                    X