Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heliports in New-York

Good Morning/Afternoon.

First of all, sorry if this question has already been asked but honestly I could not find it.
    I am planning a short trip in NY in a few days and wanted to know if it was possible to take some helicopters pictures and if so, where the best (or simply existing) spots are.

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance.

South street seaport. east side near 34th street.

Comment

This might help.....

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for your prompt answers.

I indeed noticed there were 1 or 2 "still operational" heliports in NY (the East 34th and the Downtown).
        My question was (and I probably have not been really clear) more about "possible spots" to take "correct" pictures.

Thanks once more for your kind assistance and have a nice day.

Comment

The Downtown Manhattan heliport has good views in the afternoon. In the morning you are facing the sun.

Big disadvantage is that this is used by the sightseeing helicopters, so there are only 4 or 5 different helicopters flying here. Big advantage is that these 4 or 5 helicopters do fly a lot. You can expect an arrival or departure every 5 to 10 minutes depending on time of day.

While there, do yourself a favour and take one of these flights! The pushers trying to sell you the flight will no doubt ask you repeatedly when they see you have an interest in helicopters. After a while of saying no they offered me the full tour (25 minutes) for the price of the small tour (15 minutes). They had an empty seat on a flight they could not fill otherwise. I was alone though so that does help I suppose.

Here's a few photos including shots from the flight.

Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer and your explanation.
            You managed to take some nice pictures, really ! Even if, as you explained, you only see 4 or 5 different helicopters; there's apparently another heliport (east 34th street but difficult to know if photos are possible)

Where were you to take them ? (I do not speak about the in-flight of course)
            On the East-River Bikeway or in the parking ?
            I already did a tour a few years ago and it's indeed a nice experience ! (but quiet difficult to take pictures because of the reflections on the helicopters windows).

Comment

Originally posted by murmeldeier View Post
              Where were you to take them ? (I do not speak about the in-flight of course)
              On the East-River Bikeway or in the parking ?
              There's a bikeway and footpath along the river with some benches as well. Just pick any bench that takes your fancy. Shooting from the carpark is not really appreciated, and it is private property.
              Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Ok, thanks for the information.

Have a nice evening !

Sam.

Comment

Working...
                X