Regional Airline Call Sign History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Airline Call Sign History

Orange Huggy is listing every incident he can find and is using the Regional airline's call sign instead of the Major Airline Flag. AND, I was hearing names I'd never heard of: "Lindbergh", "Brickyard"

A brief Goggle search turned up relatively little on how these things come about and become official.

As I searched out one call sign I knew, I found some interesting background.

Perhaps this is a thread worth having?

Edit: The other big question is how these things come about and become official (expanding the sentence above). I recall hearing the "Waterski" call sign (listed below), back in the 1980's. I swore it was an unofficial, joke call sign that ATC was using...just wanting to open this up to someone who might know something of the procedures.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Trans States Airlines

Trans States Airlines is known as "Waterski"

Waterski was originally strongly linked to TWA, but as of 2015 is running lots of ERJ-145's for a number of airlines.

Copied from Wikipedia:

The call sign "Waterski" and the ICAO 3-letter identifier "LOF," which stands for 'Lodge of the Four Seasons', are from the early days when the company was operated as Resort Air and took visitors to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Chautauqua Airlines

From Wiki:

The airline was established on May 3, 1973, in Jamestown, Chautauqua County, New York, USA, and started operations on August 1, 1974 using two 15-passenger Beech 99 aircraft.

Also gleaned from Wiki is that this airline is fairly important historically.

It started as the commuter carrier for Allegheny Airlines.
      They operated the "AA" ATR that crashed from severe icing

And, sadly, it appears that they no longer exist.

Comment

GoJet

Ok...Orange Huggy's "Lindbergh" reference turns out to be interesting.

It's just a subsidiary of Trans States, called GoJet that operates CRJ's and does indeed go by the call sign "Lindbergh"

Comment

Republic Airlines

Call sign: Brickyard.

Ok, now it's question time...what in the hell is wrong with using the call sign "Republic"?

(Yeah, sure, Brickyard is a clear reference to the Indianapolis 500 speedway aka, "The Brickyard" which is where the headquarters of Republic is)

Comment

For some reason the word "brick" in the call sign of an airplane doesn't sound "elegant" to me.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              For some reason the word "brick" in the call sign of an airplane doesn't sound "elegant" to me.
              ....as in .... "Flies like a brick" ?
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                Call sign: Brickyard.

Ok, now it's question time...what in the hell is wrong with using the call sign "Republic"?

(Yeah, sure, Brickyard is a clear reference to the Indianapolis 500 speedway aka, "The Brickyard" which is where the headquarters of Republic is)
                The Republic callsign was used by the original Republic that became a part of Northwest. Normally, callsigns are NOT reassigned.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  They operated the "AA" ATR that crashed from severe icing

And, sadly, it appears that they no longer exist.
                  If you mean the Roselawn ATR-72, that was operated by Simmons Airlines for American Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                    If you mean the Roselawn ATR-72, that was operated by Simmons Airlines for American Eagle.
                    In fact, it was the Simmons AOC that became the Eagle AOC and is now Envoy.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                      In fact, it was the Simmons AOC that became the Eagle AOC and is now Envoy.
                      These pedigrees are amazing...almost crazy. Jokes about rural areas and limited gene pools come to mind.

Comment

Mesa Airlines

1) Cal sign: Air Shuttle

2) Pedigree: Complex like many other regionals.

Comment

As I understand the process, an airline will submit several possible call signs to the powers that be (not sure whether it is the FAA or FCC). The bureaucracy rules and that's what you call yourself. The first airline I worked for, NPA, Inc dab United Express out of Seattle (subsidiary of Westair) had the call sign "Sundance." I understand that was a third-level call sign for an Air Force unit that they gave up so we could use it. When we merged into our parent company, Westair (Shasta), they dropped the Shasta and transitioned to the Sundance call sign.

A few years later, I went to work for Western Pacific Airlines, a short-lived 737-300 carrier based in Colorado Springs and later Denver. They submitted several call signs, only to have them rejected. They were sitting around trying to come up with something when the gal in charge of training scheduling suggested to the VP of Flight Ops (Komberec) and Chief Pilot (Starr) the call sign "Komstar." Having no better ideas, they submitted it and it was approved. Those two guys were some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with--and I worked for them at three different places (including Sundance).
                          The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Thank you...

Interesting.

Comment

Let's see... in Argentina:

Aerolíneas Argentinas = Argentina
                              Austral Líneas Aéreas = Austral
                              LAPA = LAPA
                              LAN Argentina = LAN
                              Sol Líneas Aéreas = Sol
                              Southern Winds = Southernwinds
                              Andes Aviación = Andes
                              LAER = LAER
                              LADE = LADE

Get the pattern?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                              X