• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank god the crew ejected safely

Comment

Originally posted by hansonator69
      Thank god the crew ejected safely

yeh thank "god". Sure works in mysterious ways.
      Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Mega loss as far as the bomber goes, but at least no human life was lost.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
          Preliminary report is out...

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...hannel=defense

"The aircraft that crashed rolled off Northrop Grumman’s line in 1989 and had accumulated 5,176 flying hours at the time of the crash. Early testing indicated that the aircraft would remain structurally intact for about 40,000 flying hours. Analyses also posited that the rudder attachment points would be the first structural failure item."
          Ahem... Million apologies for my ignorance, but WHAT rudder attachment points ?
          another ADC refugee

Comment

Originally posted by andrasz
            Great catch!

I wonder how many read this article and never give it a second thought (with 99.9999% of all aircraft possessing rudders.)
            Terry
            Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
            How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by andrasz
              I found this page a few days back that has a diagram that refers to the control surfaces on the outer wing sections as rudders, also noting that analysis points to these as the first points to fail. I think I first saw this the day the B2 crashed (I was looking on wikipedia for info and it was an external link) - certainly before the preliminary report came out. I guess that they provide similar control to a rudder by acting as an air-brake on one side or the other.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by FireLight
                Great catch!

I wonder how many read this article and never give it a second thought (with 99.9999% of all aircraft possessing rudders.)
                True I didn't thought about that either.
                AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

They Hamfisted It
                  Last edited by Dmmoore; 2008-03-09, 02:29. Reason: Removed profanity

Comment

Let me make this VERY clear....... this crew HAMFISTED IT
                    Last edited by Dmmoore; 2008-03-09, 02:31. Reason: Removed profanity

Comment

Working...
                    X