United Airlines plane skids off Ottawa runway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines plane skids off Ottawa runway

A United Express plane carrying 44 passengers has skidded off the runway at the Ottawa International Airport. Marc Messier of Ottawa's Fire Department says all 44 passengers travelling from Chicago got off the plane safely and were taken into the terminal on city buses. He says fire crews are on the scene working to contain a fuel spill from the damaged undercarriage of the Embraer 145.

More details: http://bit.ly/Ottawa_Embraer_145

This is sad because it's the second incident of a United Express (Trans State) E145 at Ottawa.

The aircraft landed on RWY 32 and skidded off near the end of the RWY (14).

Reports say that severe damage has been done to the aircraft.

Registration is N840HK.

I also blame no reversers on these E145's that cause a accident.
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Yep i can now think of at least three occassions where these types of Embraer's have gone off the end of the runway although im not sure if the aircraft in South Africa had reversers or not. Dont think it did. In tricky conditions pilots should have everything they need to stop a jet. What were the conditions at the time of the accident as im sure weather will be a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
        Yep i can now think of at least three occassions where these types of Embraer's have gone off the end of the runway although im not sure if the aircraft in South Africa had reversers or not. Dont think it did. In tricky conditions pilots should have everything they need to stop a jet. What were the conditions at the time of the accident as im sure weather will be a factor.
        The weather right here is odd. It was a mix of rain, overcast and a bit of sun. I live 40km from CYOW so the weather there and where I live isn't exactly the same. It appears the RWY was not too wet but I do not quite know as I did not go there yet.
        Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Could this have been a wheels up landing? - I do not see signs of 'ploughing' in the grass (but pictures are not too clear)

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
            Could this have been a wheels up landing? - I do not see signs of 'ploughing' in the grass (but pictures are not too clear)
            Doesn't seem so. From this Reuters pic

it looks like the starboard gear collapsed once it skidded off the runway

Comment

Originally posted by Jan-Jasinski View Post
              T

I also blame no reversers on these E145's that cause a accident.
              This was an excursion, not an overrun. The problem was tire adhesion. I don't see how reversers would have been of any help here.

Ground spoilers however...

Comment

Working...
              X