Southwest Airlines, AUS-DAL-OKC; Aug 5th, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Airlines, AUS-DAL-OKC; Aug 5th, 2013

So here's the review for the return flights from Austin to Oklahoma City last August. Again, I can't provide a fully detailed review since it's been so long, but I'll include as much as I can in the photo captions.

If you want to check out the review for the outbound flight: OKC-HOU-AUS, same plane service

My stay in Austin was a fun one, and it was time to head back. After checking in and going through security I decided to go on a spotting spree. AUS definitely has way more variety than OKC.

Air Tran flight headed to CUN

I believe this DL 738 was going to JFK

DL 738 on the pushback while a DL Connection CR9 heads out to DTW

One of AA's multiple morning departures to DFW

Catch 'em while you can!

UA and UAX jets

Yep, DL had 757s last summer routinely flying between ATL and AUS. It did not have as many this summer but there were a few daily last month.

One of F9's E-Jets heading back to DEN

There are still some Skywest planes in the original livery. Pretty neat.

Just after pushback and engine start

After taking off on RWY 17L, we banked left just west of the Circuit of The Americas, giving us a great overview.

Heading back north with a nice overview of Austin Bergstrom International.

Austin Executive Airport

Taylor, TX

Already descending to Dallas after just 20 minutes

Seagoville, TX

Flying over Mesquite, TX. Just below the wing is the intersection of U.S. 80 and I-30.

A nice panorama of the Dallas CBD.

On the base leg for RWY 13R. It was a pretty short final!

They're always expanding the interchanges in Dallas

Almost there! The landing was quite nice with the usual Love Field lurch-forward reverse thrust. Always fun stuff !

So obviously this was the surprise of the day - a UAE private 319CJ. It was headed out for takeoff; probably after the ultra-rich guy in there signed another oil deal? Just a guess anyway.

Business jets are always a-plenty at DAL!

This time, I had a short one-hour layover so off I went out of the plane and looked around. This was my first time in the brand new terminal at DAL, and it's certainly a great change from the old one. Lots of space, a high ceiling, and many great spots to look at the airfield and air traffic outside. There are also new eateries, one of which is Campisi's Pizza. Now 15 bucks for a personal pizza is steep, but I usually don't splurge and I was pretty hungry since I had not eaten anything so I opted for a Mediterranean Chicken Pizza. It was really good! And it's pretty big too, I was stuffed after I finished it. Pretty soon it was time to board the next flight to OKC.

At first I could not make out what that sticker was on the nose of the plane, but after some research I found out this 737-300 was christened "The Jack Vidal", after the VP of maintainence (I'm not sure if he still is). Also, if you notice, this was taken from the gate area which was separated from the windows by an enclosed walkway. There are only a few gates like this in the new terminal; I'm not sure why they did that, unless that is to prepare for international fights in the future? But Southwest is going to do that at Hobby, so it's interesting anyway.

Ready for the last leg to OKC

13R departures always provide a great view of the Dallas skyline

Intersection of I-30 and U.S. 67

Check out those houses-en-masse

Flying over the Red

Gene Autry Airport just northeast of Ardmore, OK

East side of Norman, OK. You can see part of the University of Oklahoma (the stadium's at the bottom of the photo) and other structures.

If you're familiar with Oklahoma City,you'll recognize this as the intersection of I-44 and the Northwest Expressway; the large building is the well-known Penn Square Mall, and just south of it is the famous 50 Penn Place, a mixed-use high-rise tower with shops, businesses and restaurants

I-40

Back home!

Taxiing to the terminal with a company 73' at the gate

Again, it was another good round of flights with Southwest. Efficient and friendly service is the norm and this time was no exception. Hope you enjoyed!

Nice photos. In my opnion Southwest is one of the best low-cost airline in the world.

Comment

Re your comment on Southwest and International flights. AirTran has international flights and are being merged into the Southwest schedule.
      Find Southwest international flights to Mexico, the Caribbean and other tropical locations. See where we fly and book your international flight with us today!

If found to be profitable I can envision additional international destinations in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jarod View Post
        Nice photos. In my opnion Southwest is one of the best low-cost airline in the world.
        Thanks jarod, appreciate the comment! I agree with that.

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        Re your comment on Southwest and International flights. AirTran has international flights and are being merged into the Southwest schedule.
        Find Southwest international flights to Mexico, the Caribbean and other tropical locations. See where we fly and book your international flight with us today!

If found to be profitable I can envision additional international destinations in the future.
        Yes that is right, actually Southwest has already started flying international service. My comment was actually in reference to the corridor constructed at Love Field (at some gates) that is usually set aside for arriving international passengers. This has been done in the new terminal. Southwest has already announced though that it intends to begin international ops at Hobby (you'll recall the much-ado-about-nothing hoo-hah when WN announced it, and UA executives started whining about having to cancel international flights and taking a hit etc etc). That's why I was wondering why have a separate corridor at DAL when a new international concourse is being built at HOU for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
        X