Fault on Embraer 170 leads to actuator redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fault on Embraer 170 leads to actuator redesign

Actuators used to move the wing slats on Embraer 170s have been redesigned as a consequence of a fault discovered by airline operators in Australia and overseas.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) says in a statement that since the fault has been discovered the slat actuator manufacturer has initiated a redesign of the actuator "to reduce torque trip and limiter engagement".

Linky
    Dale, is this the same thing AC is seeing on their 170's and 90's?
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

If only Bombardier would do that for the flap actuators on the CRJ-200 eh Ike?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
      Does the lawn dart have the same problem? Was it was bad as the EMBs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
        Does the lawn dart have the same problem? Was it was bad as the EMBs?
        Hehe, google CRJ-200 flap failures.

Comment

I've seen more than a fair share of no flap landings with fire trucks following behind with CRJ's at CVG over the yeras.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Why doesn't the FAA do the same with Bombardier as it's doing with EMB?

When you flew the lawn dart, did you have any flap problems?

Comment

When you flew the lawn dart, did you have any flap problems?
              Thankfully I haven't been on the 200 at all. They knew about the problem before they designed the 700/900. The worst I've had was having the flaps/slats go half speed because a failure of either a flap motor or one of the computers that controls the flaps/slats. The 700/900 looks similar, but its a much different (and better) airplane than the 200.

Comment

Flap problems were routiine on the 200's so we were happy they went to JAZZ.

Flapless landings have decreased dramatically on the EMB fleet and yes it was due to a redesign of the actuator. And yes Virgin Blue and AC were part of the solution.

Comment

FWIW, the flap speeds on the -200 have been changed yet again. I understand that since the Vfe (extend) went to 200kias, the flap failure incidents dropped by over 80%, so let's keep our fingers crossed. It's not even the actuator itself that's the problem, it's the actuator housing that keeps getting wet.

Comment

They did, there are a number of ADs with regards to that issue on the -2B19.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                      They did, there are a number of ADs with regards to that issue on the -2B19.
                      At least with us it doesn't seem to be helping much. We get a flight safety newsletter every week with a writeup of any incidents and you can guess what half of them are

Are you on the 2 hondo?

Comment

The flap/slat fail is a huge nuisance on the 170. Very poor design and during winter months, we may get 5-6 in a week span.
                        Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

Airbus had a similar problem with the A300/A310 flap system. Water would freeze jamming an actuator and lock out the entire system. On the ground (above freezing) everything worked normally. New seals fixed the problem but it took severalvyears to fiigure it out.
                          Don
                          Standard practice for managers around the world:
                          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Are you on the 2 hondo?
                            I am, over 2,500 hours now.

Comment

Working...
                            X