Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
    US uses that as their slogan now?
    No it's just because they had a smile on a 757 and i tought "whats next slogan change to 'Catch our smile'?"

Comment

Originally posted by hansonator69
      How old you have 2 be to fly a jet? I know to fly a GA(general aviation) aircraft but how old for a jet? But i'm all the way back in Australia so... yeah
      First you need a PPL. Than an Instrument rating. Than a CPL with a multi engine endorsement. Then you have to build hours. Some regionals in the US will hire with as little as 250 TT/ 25 Multi engine, but those typically are the ones you don't want to work for. A decent regional job will take about 600/100

Comment

Here is the current status for the bigger US airlines.

AA- 2,400 on furlough, recalling 50/month beginning October

CO- 0 on furlough, Hiring. Projecting to hire 330 pilots in 2007. 15-20 new-hires every week.

DL- 0 on furlough, Hiring. Hiring approx. 60/mo throughout remainder of 2007.

NW- 324 on furlough, all recalled, hiring around 40/month.

UA- 0 on furlough, accepting applications, may hire 100 by end of 2007.

US- 0 on furlough, Hiring. Hiring approx. 60/mo throughout remainder of 2007.

Comment

Dang. Stuck between hiring cycles, it looks like.
          Figure that even if there's no decline in the industry, when folks of my era finally get 'round to being of age and having the requirements, all of the slots will be filled, and the senior guys won't be senior enough to retire yet.
          I guess we'll see how it plays out...

Comment

don't really care much for USAir. when i get my college degree i'm going into the Navy, being a pilot, getting out and working for DL. then i will either become a Game Warden or an alaskan bush pilot.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
              don't really care much for USAir. when i get my college degree i'm going into the Navy, being a pilot, getting out and working for DL. then i will either become a Game Warden or an alaskan bush pilot.

-Chris
              Do you realize what the chances are of becoming a pilot in the Navy, Air Force, or any other armed services are, low.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                Do you realize what the chances are of becoming a pilot in the Navy, Air Force, or any other armed services are, low.
                Eh, So. It didn't stop those who currently are pilots for them!

If he thinks he has what it takes to go into it then so be it. There are some who will never, ever be able get the chance to be pilots for airlines, and get to share the joy of flying, like me. I won't ever get that chance.

Good luck to those who are currently seeking the jobs with US Airways and the others, hope it works out for you.

Alex
                Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                  Dang. Stuck between hiring cycles, it looks like.
                  Figure that even if there's no decline in the industry, when folks of my era finally get 'round to being of age and having the requirements, all of the slots will be filled, and the senior guys won't be senior enough to retire yet.
                  I guess we'll see how it plays out...
                  There's a pilot shortage looming though. As long as some major terrorism event doens't manifest itself, and air transport can adapt to rising fuel costs (which I think they can due to how heavily air transport is relied upon), there is going to be a pretty decent demand worldwide. Right now there is A LOT of labor unrest among the pilots and indeed other labor groups. A LOT. I think we'll see some pay corrections in the next few years. So you might hit it just right.

Comment

Sounds like a plan

Comment

And US still has some PSA employees around, and they still paint smiles on some of their planes. They can't be all bad.

[photoid=6010021]
                      PSA smiles are put on the airplane that an ex-PSA pilot flys on his/her retirement flight.

A nice gesture.
                      Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

Originally posted by N9103M
                        PSA smiles are put on the airplane that an ex-PSA pilot flys on his/her retirement flight.

A nice gesture.
                        Oh, thank you very much for that information, very interesting to know. At least for me anyway.

Chris(Burns), if everyone had that mentality, we'd have hundreds of fighters sitting on the ground with no one to fly them right now. Those are some crazy plans, but go for it, Chris. If it all worked out, that'd be one hell of a flying career!
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

o.k Chasen you lost me on the last part of your post. i assume that you are talking to chris burns in the first sentence and to me in the rest.

i also know some Navy, and Army pilots myself. they are just your average Joe. the first flew SH-60s in the Navy. the second flew the Tomcat and is now a United pilot. and the third flew OH-6s in the Army and is still in the Army but is now a flight surgeon. again none of them are super smart or in anyway better than anyone else.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                            none of them are super smart or in anyway better than anyone else.
                            Chris, Chris, Chris. Of course they are, they're pilots.

And yeah, just the first sentance was for Mr. Burns.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Chris, Chris, Chris. Of course they are, they're pilots.
                              For more details, see Jordan's avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                                US- 0 on furlough, Hiring. Hiring approx. 60/mo throughout remainder of 2007.
                                Not quite true, US has is still a few months away from the last pilot who has to take it or leave it. It is close though.

They also have around 100 furloughed pilots that are currently flying regional jets for Republic, Chautauqua, and PSA that are being held until the early spring then they will be released to US Airways for class.
                                Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

Working...
                                X