No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A person involved in the investigation said, however, that experts from Boeing and the National Transportation Safety Board who had seen the object, a piece of what is known as a flaperon, were not yet fully satisfied, and called for further analysis.

Their doubts were based on a modification to the flaperon part that did not appear to exactly match what they would expect from airline maintenance records, according to the person, who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and requested anonymity.
    A modification to the flaperon by Malaysian maintenance? The plot thickens...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
      A modification to the flaperon by Malaysian maintenance? The plot thickens...
      Please splain how a modified, "i.e. malfunctioning" flaperon, causes a change in course, followed by what appears to be a LONG stable cruise with no radio contact and shut down of transponder.

I know there's those of us who fear software going bezerk doing what cables and nerves and brains used to do, but, it doesn't really compute.

Perhaps your comment is tounge in cheek, though.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• I assume Evan meant in general with maintenance no longer being done in Kansas but now it's off shore and out of sight (or oversight), of Boeing?
        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• I guess another Boeing 777 has a missing "flaperon" somewhere
          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• CNN: French media reporting that seat cushions and window panes have been found on Reunion Island, quoting the Malaysia Transport Minister
            AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
              I assume Evan meant in general with maintenance no longer being done in Kansas but now it's off shore and out of sight (or oversight), of Boeing?
              ...that does not match the maintenance records...?

Culture.

Comment

• Exactly. Would an off shore or out-sourced maintenance crew be "innovative" on a repair to such a component instead of doing it by the book?

One of the concerns with these remote locations is that there is only marginal oversight by actual certified repair staff.
                Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                  I guess another Boeing 777 has a missing "flaperon" somewhere
                  Hmmmmm... if there was another Boeing 777 missing an inboard aileron or "flaperon", I assume that this would already be known. Losing a major control surface is pretty serious and not like losing a flap track fairing or a wheel-bay door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                    Hmmmmm... if there was another Boeing 777 missing an inboard aileron or "flaperon", I assume that this would already be known. Losing a major control surface is pretty serious and not like losing a flap track fairing or a wheel-bay door.
                    Is not really serious. I can land my Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee without flaps.
                    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Is not really serious. I can land my Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee without flaps.
                      ...and I'm going to go technical on you.

I seriously doubt you ever landed your light aircraft without flaps.

Yeah, sure, maybe they were in the full-up position ( ), but they were probably there.

If they were indeed missing, there may be some associated, serious issues that might affect both light aircraft and 7X7 airliners.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        I seriously doubt you ever landed your light aircraft without flaps.

Yeah, sure, maybe they were in the full-up position ( ), but they were probably there.
                        15 - love

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• From April 14, 2014

Efforts to find missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 focuses beneath ocean’s surface as Australian authorities send a submersible diving toward the sea floor.

AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                          the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            15 - love
                            Thank you, but the meat was here in the proverbial bottom line:

Originally posted by Me
                            If they were indeed missing, there may be some associated, serious issues that might affect both light aircraft and 7X7 airliners.

Comment

And we are not talking about a flap but about the inboard highspeed aileron of the 777 (which extends with the flaps to give a more uniform trailing edge of the wing and is therefore called a "flaperon"). Now tell me that losing a quarter of the ailerons on board a 777 is not serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                                And we are not talking about a flap but about the inboard highspeed aileron of the 777 (which extends with the flaps to give a more uniform trailing edge of the wing and is therefore called a "flaperon"). Now tell me that losing a quarter of the ailerons on board a 777 is not serious.
                                I bet a beer that you could carefuly remove a flaperon and the plane would still fly OK...

Lift increases with the square of airspeed so it's not out of the question that lift and control power could be maintained with extra speed...especially to make up for a mere 25% loss of 'aileron'.

so, maybe, but JUST maybe...

All that being said, it's hard to surgically lose a control surface and not tear up a bunch of additional, often-important crap...

We have the PSA 727 that didn't do well with two flaps gone (and the leding edge slats and lord knows how much other ripped out and flaming stuff...

Then there's the Gol 737 that you'd think couldn't have lost too much stuff since the biz jet just lost a wimply little winglet...but whatever the winglet tore up took the plane down (and maybe it wasn't aerodynamic damage as much as control actuating systems damage)???****

If it's simple aerodynamics, the plane might? still fly...but if wires are torn out and hydraulic lines severed...

Comment

Working...
                                X