"Near catastrophe" in the last flight of a German military aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Near catastrophe" in the last flight of a German military aircraft

Not sure if this is new or old, but just came across it today - link says it's only a few hours old).
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=002_1350495356

JEEEEEEZUS,

And I thought St Maarten approaches were close !!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I guess the pilot just likes to fly low.

Comment

he actually hits the dirt before the road, then bounces up and over...I wonder how intentional that was...I would imagine not?

Comment

That's a short landing. Short of the runway, I mean.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Piloting skills aside the video nicely shows off the ruggedness of the C-160. Not many aircraft would have gone on without a scratch after a touch-and-go on that road.

Comment

Pretty good reason not to stand under an aircraft on final approach!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                JEEEEEEZUS,

And I thought St Maarten approaches were close !!
                That made St. Maarten look like a playground! I wonder if anyone on the other side of the road got a shot of that also. That would have been a good shot.

Comment

In 1998 I flew as young soldier (compulsory military service at the Luftwaffe) in one such aircraft and even the normal flight was a little bit "different"

Regards
                  http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    That's a short landing. Short of the runway, I mean.
                    Might have had an effect on the pilot's shorts also...
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

love the text "near fatal" not withstanding the fact the a/c landed short and could have hit someone it didn't, nobody got injured, the plane didn't break into pieces, no flames, no blue lights required. so how was it near fatal? so i nearly had a fatal accident when the bus passed me only a few metres away...?

Comment

Roy, don't you think there is a reason why "near catastrophe" is between quotation marks?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          Roy, don't you think there is a reason why "near catastrophe" is between quotation marks?
                          that's exactly why I put it between quotation marks...

Comment

that could have been a really bad accident, but with the proximity of the runway to the road it was obvious that nobody would stand underneath the aircraft's flight path. I still think the observers got a lot more than they bargained for though. The aircraft had to put on a show just one last time. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy C View Post
                              love the text "near fatal" not withstanding the fact the a/c landed short and could have hit someone it didn't, nobody got injured, the plane didn't break into pieces, no flames, no blue lights required. so how was it near fatal? so i nearly had a fatal accident when the bus passed me only a few metres away...?
                              Uhh so what exactly is near fatal to you then?
                              There were spotters UNDER the aircraft, it was a question of a few meters left or right for some people, so yea, just this one time, it's actually not an exageration, it really way near fatal for some people.

Comment

Working...
                              X