Help with reject

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reject

Can I get some help as to what is being used to measure the level of this photo? I'm using the vertical lines in the background and they appear straight up and down when I put the grid on them.

Thanks!

It's leaning to the right, sorry. Not a lot but still leaning.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you basing that on the horizontal line of the hangar in the background?

Is there anything else about the image that would get it rejected?

Thanks

Comment

Instead of a horizontal line, you may have more success picking a vertical one. I don't quite understand how, but horizontal accuracy doesn't always equate to vertical. It's a great shot; good luck on round 2.

Cheers

Dave Brook
        Cambridge, Ontario

Comment

Thanks.

I did use a vertical line as you can see in the photo, the corner of that hangar is lined up with the grid. I'll move it to left just a degree or two and resubmit.

Is there anything else about the image that would get it rejected?

Originally posted by Bart Bandy View Post
          Instead of a horizontal line, you may have more success picking a vertical one. I don't quite understand how, but horizontal accuracy doesn't always equate to vertical. It's a great shot; good luck on round 2.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bart Bandy View Post

Cheers
            A horizontal line is only any good for horizon setting if it is actually horizontal and you are looking at it at exactly 90 degrees. If you are not looking at it at a 90 degree angle its farthest point will appear to slope into the distance.
            A vertical line, especially when part of a solid structure will always be vertical in the centre of the image. If you use a wide angle lens of less then 50mm then verticals at the edges will appear to lean in or out. For this reason you should use verticals as close to the centre of the image as possible. If you have verticals left and right of the image but none in the middle then make sure that the outside verticals both lean by the same amount. Buildings are best as they are generally solid structures that are built vertically (unless you are in Pisa and looking at a certain well known tower !!! ). Other generally reliable objects are radar towers, approach lights and, surprisingly maybe, people. Humans tend to stand and walk upright and can be used as a visual guide.
            Unreliable items are light poles that can bend in the wind, any wooden structure or obviously flexible material.

Comment

I've turned it to the left just a hair.

Is this now level?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by blairmc99 View Post
                I've turned it to the left just a hair.

Is this now level?

Thanks for the help!

Looks OK to me.

Comment

Working...
                X