Darkness ... on a bright day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkness ... on a bright day!

I am just trying to prepare a few photos that I took a few weeks ago and am finding that although the weather on the day was quite bright, I am having to put in quite a lot of "brightness" on the Photoshop program, to make them acceptable. I am wondering what might be causing this.

I am using a D5300, ISO at 200, but it also sets itself automatically. Program is "P".

Is there any changes to the settings that I can enter which might help ... maybe try with 400?

On a bright day there is no need for ISO anything higher than 100. Using a higher ISO setting also doesn't give brighter photos. If the metering is fooled by subject or background, then use exposure compensation. I guess this is also the term used on Nikon cameras. I regularly use +1/3 up to +1 in extremer conditions
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Can you show us some examples? It would be interesting to see the EXIF data.

Comment

Try checking your metering mode. If you're in spot metering and have a white aircraft in the centre of the frame then the camera will be trying to render the aircraft as 18% grey, which is about 1.5-2 stops darker than you want it to be! Try make sure you're set to matrix or centre-weighted rather than spot (if indeed you were set to spot) and your exposures should be much more accurate.
        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I am just trying to prepare a few photos that I took a few weeks ago and am finding that although the weather on the day was quite bright, I am having to put in quite a lot of "brightness" on the Photoshop program, to make them acceptable. I am wondering what might be causing this.

I am using a D5300, ISO at 200, but it also sets itself automatically. Program is "P".

Is there any changes to the settings that I can enter which might help ... maybe try with 400?
          Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
          On a bright day there is no need for ISO anything higher than 100. Using a higher ISO setting also doesn't give brighter photos. If the metering is fooled by subject or background, then use exposure compensation. I guess this is also the term used on Nikon cameras. I regularly use +1/3 up to +1 in extremer conditions
          Depending on which lens you use I would recommend using aperture priority, ISO 100 and centre weighted metering. Most lenses in the 200mm to 300mm range work best at around f9 as a "sweet spot". Shoot in RAW and use +.3 exposure compensation in bright light and +.7 compensation in cloudy sun. These are the settings that I use on my Nikon D7000.

.....and whatever you do, DON'T use Nikon D Lighting in the camera. That road leads to horrible haloes !!
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
          X