Rejection Help - Noise/Grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection Help - Noise/Grain

I'll be honest, I get quite a few rejections. Normally, I try and fix them on my own, but I'm just fed up with this, and feel the need to ask for a bit of help here.

Last year, probably just before Christmas, I decided to sell my Nikon D5100, and bought a Canon 600D. And that's where the problem starts, ever since then, I'd say about 90% of my photos have been rejected for Noise/Grain. I think it's grain, but it may be noise that is causing them to be rejected (seperate rejection reasons would be a great help here).

The annoying thing is, I've absolutely no idea why this has happened. I'm not doing anything different in my editing process/workflow so have no idea why this is happening now when it wasn't before.

Do any of the screeners have any tips as to what I can do differently, as I'm really starting to get quite annoyed, and anything I've tried to stop it happening just isn't working.

Many thanks, Rob.

First of all it is noise. Grain would be the rejection reason for "grainy" scans. That's why we don't need two different rejection reasons.

I checked a few of your photos. As it seems, you underexpose all of them. Brightening up an underexposed photo will always end up in more or less noise. Also, judging by some of your settings I would suggest you learn the basics of your camera. Settings like 1/4096s @ f/2.8 are really not needed in this type of photography.

For example, I use Canon since more than 20 years. One lesson learned was to always use exposure compensation of +1/3 or more in "normal" conditions, even on my 5D3 now.

Another rejection reason you have (and IIRC you also had many times in the past) is JPG compression. I don't know your workflow, but search the forums to find tips how to avoid it. Generally speaking: save at the highest quality settings in your camera (if you do not shoot RAW), in your photo editor only save a JPG file once, at the end of all post processing and at the highest JPG quality settings.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
      First of all it is noise. Grain would be the rejection reason for "grainy" scans. That's why we don't need two different rejection reasons.

I checked a few of your photos. As it seems, you underexpose all of them. Brightening up an underexposed photo will always end up in more or less noise. Also, judging by some of your settings I would suggest you learn the basics of your camera. Settings like 1/4096s @ f/2.8 are really not needed in this type of photography.

For example, I use Canon since more than 20 years. One lesson learned was to always use exposure compensation of +1/3 or more in "normal" conditions, even on my 5D3 now.

Another rejection reason you have (and IIRC you also had many times in the past) is JPG compression. I don't know your workflow, but search the forums to find tips how to avoid it. Generally speaking: save at the highest quality settings in your camera (if you do not shoot RAW), in your photo editor only save a JPG file once, at the end of all post processing and at the highest JPG quality settings.
      Thanks a lot Gerardo. Thanks for confirming that it's noise. Normally, I wouldn't be shooting at 2.8 during the day, but I had a loan of a 70-200 at the time, so it was only a test. I'll be back to my normal f8 in future. I've now set 1/3rd exposure compensation on my camera, so hopefully that should help as well.

I'm not too sure how I get the JPG compression. I've had a look at the forums, and previously it's been said that resizing is one of the first things you do (it's 3rd for me, after levelling and cropping). I always save at 12 in Photoshop, and only once, guess I might need to keep looking for a solution. Thanks again, Rob.

Comment

With regard to exposure compensation. Many people get the airport and set... lets say 1/3+ compensation....but the light changes from minute to minute sometimes. I find that I'm constantly changing the compensation during the day, anywhere from +1/3 to +1 stop. (This is on a Nikon D7000) What I do at the beginning is a couple of test shots, set the compensation according to what I see combined with what the histogram tells me and look at the ground in front of me. I try to memorise how bright it looks for the current setting and adjust compensation according to brightness changes during the day.
        Anyone can go out for the day and rattle off shots, process them and get something useable but if you think constantly about what you are doing and what the weather is doing you will find that you need to do less and less post processing, and that means less potential for problems to creep in such as grain and contrast issues.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
        X