Qantas Retires The Boeing 767

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas Retires The Boeing 767

Here are my photos from the final Qantas Boeing 767 service, including the flyover of Sydney...

On December 27th 2014, Qantas operated it's final Boeing 767 service. QF767 from Melbourne to Sydney.
    Cheers,

Oliver Gigacz

I found this interesting when I first heard about it as I don't know any other airline that is retiring its 767's en mass.

love the photos though, and someday in the not to distant future I feel we will see the last Air Canada 767 arrive in Toronto either for scrap or for Rouge (not a big difference lol)
    I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

US Airways outing theirs too from February.

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
        I found this interesting when I first heard about it as I don't know any other airline that is retiring its 767's en mass.

love the photos though, and someday in the not to distant future I feel we will see the last Air Canada 767 arrive in Toronto either for scrap or for Rouge (not a big difference lol)
        Or, another option would be converted to freighter versions.

I can imagine that carriers like FedEx and UPS must be considering the trends at passenger carriers and picking up the best frames for cheaply now. For them it is a win/win as the 767 was conceptualized in a post Oil-Boom phase, and now (temporarily) with prices of fuel being so low, some of these planes can be had for decent rates.

Does AC do their freight through dedicated freighters, or though the cargo capacity on passenger aircraft, or both?
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver G View Post
          Here are my photos from the final Qantas Boeing 767 service, including the flyover of Sydney...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aviatio...7649555283197/
          Wow. I've not been here since last year, december. And *pam*, there is important news today.

Wasn't there a quite prominent person (at least for insiders), who was linked to the QF-B763ER in a very intimate way? ...

Aviation is nothing without evolution, the smartphone generation would say in this topic. But with a closer look, that is not true in all cases.
          B744 - inaugural flight (Boeing) in 1988
          B763ER - first flight in... 1988.

But the 744 survives forever, in at least one nickname...
          Is it, that the 744 has the bigger fan base?

Or why was the B763ER sorted out so early?

PS: Some of the jp Dinosaurs seem to be awake, AA, porter , ... I wish you a happy new year!
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-01-17, 03:33. Reason: I wish you a happy new year.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
            [...]
            Does AC do their freight through dedicated freighters, or though the cargo capacity on passenger aircraft, or both?
            Hum. Does anybody know one or two facts about porter? I mean, details are really not necessary to see who is your friend.

But in my eyes, if a guy is longer here than me, the age and the home airport would be interesting.

Let's say he is a Dorval guy (home airport). As this is an airport which is in my top 5 on this planet, I know that there is not that much Cargo.

At least LH Cargo does not provide Dorval as a destination.

@ AA: I'd assume that porter's area is served by intercontinental Cargo airlines, not necessarily by AC.

Comment

Very nice pictures. It would have been a lot of fun to take that flight.

In answer to the Air Canada Cargo question AC does not have dedicated freighters, everything moves in the belly.
              Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

They had an order for the 77F but pulled them before the first 300ER arrived
                I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

QF 767 had been retired from international flying when the A330 arrived (able to hold the newer product (i.e. sleeper beds)), and was doing almost exclusively domestic flying. More A330's became available for the domestic network (and offer the sleeper bed service on the east coast to Perth flights), removing a lot of 767 flying.

Those of you up in Canada will get to see a few of the ex-QF airframes sooner rather than later anyway!

Nothing wrong with the old girl at all!

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                    Those of you up in Canada will get to see a few of the ex-QF airframes sooner rather than later anyway!

Who picked them up? AC or WS?

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                      Who picked them up? AC or WS?
                      Westjet
                      Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                        QF 767 had been retired from international flying when the A330 arrived (able to hold the newer product (i.e. sleeper beds)), and was doing almost exclusively domestic flying. More A330's became available for the domestic network (and offer the sleeper bed service on the east coast to Perth flights), removing a lot of 767 flying.

Nothing wrong with her, I agree. But here at my home airport, there is a strong competition between the A and the B.

LH in combination with DUS still stands for the A (343).

While all our intercontinental guests prefer the B. And what do my old eyes (37...) see at this very early hour?

CX-B773ER, nonstop from DUS to Chek Lap Kok. And this is not a joke.
                        [It's a German airport, and a German website, but I can translate.]

In English: Cathay Pacific provides a new longhaul intercontinental nonstop: EDDL.

I have never tried that nonstop route in a B744 simulator. But I already LOVE it this sunday.

So, where is the 767. LH has only owned very few afaik.

MCM has already said it. The 330 is the successor, for this airline especially the
                        triple3.
                        Especially when I look at the 787's which are operated on my airport, and The Japanese love to do that, I feel a little bit like a father of all those 'youngsters'.

Grown but still alive. Like a QF-B744ER.
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-03-01, 01:52. Reason: old, but still alive! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by ACheck View Post
                          Westjet
                          That's wonderful news for WestJet - as these frames are likely the best maintained 767s in the World. From what was said earlier, they likely have lower cycles when compared to other 767s of the same age, and probably came cheaply to WestJet. Despite not having the 'new plane smell' - the aircraft can be retrofitted. Does anyone know if/when these frames were upgraded by QF last? I wonder how WS will upgrade them and/or seating arrangements for the new additions. In total, how many are they taking?

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                            So, where is the 767. LH has only owned very few afaik.
                            Really, I would love to see picture of that. Do you happen to know when they were in service?

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                            Especially when I look at the 787's which are operated on my airport, and The Japanese love to do that, I feel a little bit like a father of all those 'youngsters'. Grown but still alive. Like a QF-B744ER.
                            Haha, I can relate. I get a similar feeling when I see an A320 being scrapped. It's odd, because I'm reminded that some of them are more than 20 years old, however to me - it seems like they are brand new (based on my relative age)...

Comment

Lufthansa didn't really own the 767s that flew in Lufthansa colors. They were on lease from either Condor or LaudaAir for only a short time:

As for the pictures, here's a link to one of them

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7581956&nseq=3 (more to be found in the database). Unfortunately, I never got to see one, let alone take a picture of one.

Comment

Working...
                              X