Germanwings A320 on BCN-DUS flight crash near Nice, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Yet remained on heading with a fairly controlled airspeed and an occillating vertical speed consistent with autopilot open descent?

Besides, the autopilot never disconnected as it would if the sidestick were moved out of the neutral detent.
    I know-- fair enough. I was mainly thinking if there was *some* scenario where it wasn't a deliberate crash.

But pretty much everything we've heard points that way.

Comment

• From CNN on the autopilot:

Transponder data shows that the autopilot on Germanwings Flight 9525 was reprogrammed by someone in the cockpit to change the plane's altitude from 38,000 feet to 100 feet, according to Flightradar24, a website that tracks aviation data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        reparations must be made to the pilot screening and vigilance policies.
        why don't we start by having you open your wallet?

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
          In hypoxic situations the breath rate / frequency would not go down (to stop) but instead go up (to meet the demands of oxygen in the body): lower uptake per breath due to thin air, therefore compensatory reaction of more frequent breathing:

"The common symptoms of hypoxia include increased breathing rate"

source:

also at FAA website:

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...ia/hypoxia.pdf
          How come the Capt and screaming passengers didn't pass out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
            As for the door, there is a way to override the control-panel access on the outside.
            And why didn't they use it!!!!!!??????!!!!!!?????

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              why don't we start by having you open your wallet?
              English, a rich old language pillaged by modern-day lawyers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                And why didn't they use it!!!!!!??????!!!!!!?????
                There is? I thought the pilots can override or lock out any entry code.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                  From what we're hearing the F/O "locked" the door. How they knew he bolted the door I'm not sure.

But is it possible the guy had a stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, heart attack and in the process put nose down on stick?

I realize that doesn't explain the Captain not being able to reenter the cockpit with his pin.

Hopefully they can get data off the FDR to see what actually happened with the controls at least.
                  They would hear the dead bolt action on the CVR if that was used. You have to get up out of your seat to lock the dead bolt. It a mechanical manually operated bolt.
                  If he just used the lock switch, it is only momentary as in it returns back to normal position when released and starts a 5min timer, after which the keypad entry is available again to the person outside the door. So even if this guy "accidentally" hit the lock switch he would have had to " accidentally " do it again as the descent took 10 minutes.
                  If he was hypoxia or medically incopacitated the other pilot would have been able re-enter the flight deck after 5 mins. But if the co pilot was hypoxia, so would have everyone on the aircraft, which makes it hard to bang and yell behind the locked door.

Sorry but to me this a slam dunk

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                    Um... this is not a "deadbolt":

And it would not be hard at all for a mentally-impaired person to move in the wrong direction.
                    The switch does not stay in the "LOCK" position but springs back to the middle position, then sets a delay timer of 5 mins, after which normal operation of the keypad entry is available. He would have to do it twice during the 10 min descent.

Comment

• Well, all the kooks have come out now to claim he was a Muslim convert (based on a "significant discovery" in his home that The Daily Mail reported on, but no one knows what it is) and it was an act of terrorism, not simply suicide.

Also, some jihadist site is claiming he was a martyr for jihad, so the people who see terrorists behind every bad thing that happens have accepted it as fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jpmkam View Post
                        From CNN on the autopilot:
                        Wow - so similar tohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAM_Mozambique_Airlines_Flight_470

I wonder if he got the idea from that crash?

Thx
                        Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Theoddkiwi View Post
                          ........., then sets a delay timer of 5 mins, ..................
                          I read somewhere that the delay was 5 to 20 minutes.

But even at 5 minutes couldn't a pilot intent on suicide roll the aircraft or perform some other maneuver to damage the aircraft?

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                            I read somewhere that the delay was 5 to 20 minutes.

But even at 5 minutes couldn't a pilot intent on suicide roll the aircraft or perform some other maneuver to damage the aircraft?
                            Yes it can be setup for 5-20 mins. this and the entry code is programmed by engineering and cannot be adjusted in the air.
                            It would be a PITA if an airline set it up with 20 min delay, most of the time the keypad is used is because some one leaves the door in lock mode at the gate and closes the door leaving no one on the flight deck but it then locks. Imagine having to wait 20 min because someone accidently locked themselves out of the flight deck.

But sure once locked out the person in the flight deck could do anything to crash the plane. But in this case the Co pilot did a controlled descent over 8 minutes rather than a bansi dive to the ground. So assuming a 5 min delay on the door lock means it would need to activated twice in.
                            If Germanwings had set up their doors with a longer delay then entry after the first entry denial is a mute point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theoddkiwi View Post
                              Yes it can be setup for 5-20 mins. this and the entry code is programmed by engineering and cannot be adjusted in the air.
                              It would be a PITA if an airline set it up with 20 min delay, most of the time the keypad is used is because some one leaves the door in lock mode at the gate and closes the door leaving no one on the flight deck but it then locks. Imagine having to wait 20 min because someone accidently locked themselves out of the flight deck.

But sure once locked out the person in the flight deck could do anything to crash the plane. But in this case the Co pilot did a controlled descent over 8 minutes rather than a bansi dive to the ground. So assuming a 5 min delay on the door lock means it would need to activated twice in.
                              If Germanwings had set up their doors with a longer delay then entry after the first entry denial is a mute point.

I was going to stay away from this one but now I just can't.

First of all there is a lock INSIDE the cockpit that makes the one outside useless.

Second there is also a dead bolt to make sure the door cannot be opened from the outside.

Third it is moot point not mute!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                                I was going to stay away from this one but now I just can't.

First of all there is a lock INSIDE the cockpit that makes the one outside useless.

Second there is also a dead bolt to make sure the door cannot be opened from the outside.

Third it is moot point not mute!
                                Err yep, I probably know more about the door than you kind self, as I installed a good bunch of them post 9/11.

The electronic lock system inside ONLY makes the outside keypad useless IF there is someone in the flight deck who keeps hitting the Lock or deny toggle switch. It does not prevent unlocking using the keypad entry system indefinitely because of the 5-20 min delay. It's kind of the point.

The deadbolt requires someone to physically move to the door and bolt it, rendering the electric lock system useless. This is supposed to be a back up if the electronic system is u/s or compromised. But the dead lock can be opened from the outside using an alternative method.

I don't claim to be the world best speller. So that is a moot point.

Comment

Working...
                                X