Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

teenage student pilot + 2 friends + twin + night + overcast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teenage student pilot + 2 friends + twin + night + overcast...

...does not equal a happy ending.

On the one hand, we seem to have violated a bunch of rules and wreaks of classic teenage behavior that could have just as easily been a car.

On the other hand, if he was just short of his private ticket (and there's implications this was his training plane), it might be more complex than that. (Yeah, going straight to PPL MEL is unusual).

...and thirdly- the media coverage has been 'beautiful'- one article pictures a tail-dragger...I would not be surprised to see that they got incorrect information on it being a twin. They say night and overcast and that he was not rated for night...but how high is the overcast and who says he's rated for day flight either? (he's not!).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

and the article you posted says its a piper twin commanche. correct me if i'm wrong but don't you have to learn how to fly a single before multi's?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      and the article you posted says its a piper twin commanche. correct me if i'm wrong but don't you have to learn how to fly a single before multi's?
      Yeah. 3WE posted
      (Yeah, going straight to PPL MEL is unusual).
      But maybe it depend on if you have a lot of money. I can't quite see doing your three leg cross country in a big twin, but who knows?

Comment

Sounds like the pilot broke several rules.
        The Xfinity Discovery Hub is your resource for Xfinity product news, technology education, and more. Learn about TV, internet, home security, and more.

I bet the insurance company refuses to pay for the aircraft.

Comment

Sherrie Smith said Wednesday her son knew the owner and had a key to the plane, as well as the access code to the electronic gate providing access to the plane parking area.
          Yup..... For sure, there goes any insurance payout. The only get out there will be if it can proven that the kid flying the plane stole the keys.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
            Yeah. 3WE posted
            (Yeah, going straight to PPL MEL is unusual).
            But maybe it depend on if you have a lot of money. I can't quite see doing your three leg cross country in a big twin, but who knows?
            Concur.

I do not know the FAR's forward and backwards- but if you own a light twin, and use it a lot and maybe you are a CFI I'm pretty sure that nothing prohibits you from sticking the kid in the left seat and conducting a flying lesson.

...and I'm thinking that PPL SEL and PPL MEL are "independent ratings"- so again I don't think anything specifically prohibits you from going directly to PPL MEL.

Is it a better curriculum to learn the basics in a single-AND THEN LATER take on the complex twin...and a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER...

...I'd say yes- but I don't know that it's prohibited to go straight to the plane you own- and while this seems somewhat extreme- I think plenty of rich folks will buy a complex single and then learn how to fly it.

My instructor owned a 150, 172 and a 310- and I know his kids drove the 310 every now and then (with him in the right seat, or correct, legal solo!) before they got their PPL SEL.

...and finally- I'm thinking that John Travolta's path to the 707 probably skips a lot of steps as you move from smaller, slower, simpler to bigger, faster, complex.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Check this one out:

How do "adults" buy into the idea that a 15 year old with no known official instruction can fly a twin to Las Vegas?

Comment

Check this one out:

How do "adults" buy into the idea that a 15 year old with no known official instruction can fly a twin to Las Vegas?
                Well with the boy being 15 and both of his parents being 32 I'm making the (I know, dangerous!) assumption that nobody on board was, shall we say, at the top of the intellectual heap! Especially as none of them had seen him fly! Contenders for the Darwin awards?
                Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Originally posted by mawheatley View Post
                  Well with the boy being 15 and both of his parents being 32 I'm making the (I know, dangerous!) assumption that nobody on board was, shall we say, at the top of the intellectual heap! Especially as none of them had seen him fly! Contenders for the Darwin awards?
                  unfortunately, the "drop of bleach in the gene pool" hit the kid instead...

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    ...and I'm thinking that PPL SEL and PPL MEL are "independent ratings"- so again I don't think anything specifically prohibits you from going directly to PPL MEL.
                    Not exactly how it works, but a roommate of mine had his Commercial MEL before he had his Commercial SEL, but obviously by then he had a bunch of previously obtained ratings.
                    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

It turns out that the registration for the Jasper crash aircraft was cancelled by the FAA.

Comment

"no known official instruction" vs. excellent competence and experience on MSFS?

The weakest area in the MSFS flight model is the simulation of crash survivability.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          "no known official instruction" vs. excellent competence and experience on MSFS?
                          I doubt it. Had he really had EXCELLENT competence and experience on MSFS, he would have not crashed. Although now that I think of it, Sublogic Flight Simulator II in the Commodre C64 back then was not like the FSX in a Core i7 of these days.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            I doubt it. Had he really had EXCELLENT competence and experience on MSFS, he would have not crashed. Although now that I think of it, Sublogic Flight Simulator II in the Commodre C64 back then was not like the FSX in a Core i7 of these days.
                            Gabriel I managed to get an F-14 simulator on the ground in one piece several years ago, but I sure wouldn't want to try it in the real thing. I smashed into the fantail when I tried a carrier landing.

Comment

Gabriel I managed to get an F-14 simulator on the ground in one piece several years ago
                              And do you consider yourself as having "excellent competency and experience" in F-14 simulators?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                              X