Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hits keep coming...

Comment

I have to say that I wouldn't feel too confidant right now flying on a 787. After thousands of hours testing and test flying and only now are these issues coming to light ?
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I think its the result of Boeing promising shareholders for years, the sun and moon.

Comment

But wait, there's more...

A Boeing Co 787 Dreamliner operated by All Nippon Airways Co landed safely on a domestic flight in Japan on Friday after a crack appeared in a cockpit window.
          The flight from Tokyo's Haneda Airport landed at Matsuyama airport in western Japan and the plane's return flight to Tokyo was cancelled. No one was injured. It is the fourth incident this week to test confidence in the Dreamliner, the world's first carbon-composite airliner, which comes with a list price of $207 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/windscreen-cra...--finance.html
          Ok, just teething issues...
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

So now we have oil, fuel, and a battery fire. Who would fly on this ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
              So now we have oil, fuel, and a battery fire. Who would fly on this ?
              You left out a recent brake problem in Japan, and today's report of a cracked wind screen.

Comment

I was trying to be kind.

Comment

Second cockpit window crack, in fact.
                  Originally posted by TheKicker
                  Who would fly on this ?
                  Is that an offer? Please send me an e-mail with my reservation.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Well, I'd go on a 787 before anything Aeroflot. Maybe I'll live long enough to fly on the 797.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Second cockpit window crack, in fact.

Is that an offer? Please send me an e-mail with my reservation.

Not sure where you find the ghoulish humor. Passengers were down 35% on 747's after the JAL 123 .

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                        You left out a recent brake problem in Japan, and today's report of a cracked wind screen.
                        All this fear is being created by the media, without mentioning that they happen on other planes all the time. Aviation Herald has something to say about this:
                        Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

This incident together with three ground incidents of Boeing 787-800, that are outside The Aviation Herald's coverage, created an unbelievable and unjustified hysteria throughout global media. A fuel spill, like it happened at Boston, can happen due to overfill during refueling or perhaps a ruptured fuel line on any aircraft. A brakes problem as happened in Japan during flight preparation would normally not at all be mentioned in general media but now is used again to create hysteria. The only incident, capable of raising concern beyond the usual teething problems of an aircraft, is being monitored by The Aviation Herald despite being outside coverage, the APU battery fire in Boston. Both FAA and NTSB rate this as an incident (even though the aircraft had not yet been boarded with the intention to flight, so that even per ICAO definition this can not even be an incident), the NTSB reported a fire damage confined to the immediate vicinity of the APU battery with severe fire damage to the battery, the airline reported they discovered a wiring fault which may have caused the fire. The Aviation Herald continues to monitor this ground incident; should it become rated an accident by the NTSB, we'll enter into full coverage.

Comment

One advantage for the carriers; a real premium for seat selection by the emergency exit rows.

Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                            Not sure where you find the ghoulish humor.
                            Ghoulish? I am giving my vote of confidence to this airplane! I'm sure that it'll be a success. That's not a high-stakes declaration: it already is.

Passengers were down 35% on 747's after the JAL 123.
                            747... 747... Ah, 747! You mean that model that was first delivered in 1970, with nearly 1500 units delvered, most of them after the JAL accident, of which the latest variant was first delivered about one year ago, and is still in production, that flew millons of flights, billions of miles and hundreds of millions of passenger having killed nearly 3000 of them in the process including 520 of the 524 persons on board Jal 123.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

billions of miles and hundreds of millions of passenger
                              Nope, according to Boeing a few years ago, 747 carried 3.5 billion people(half the worlds population).

Don't forget, the 747 had its first hull loss 1 year after its first flight(Pan Am 93). Modern day A380s and 787s, despite their many glitches during these years(8 years for the A380, 4 years for the 787) hasn't had a hull loss yet(and hopefully won't), the 777 has been in service for 18 years and has only 2 hull losses, and not a single fatality(same for the A340, though it had 5 hull losses)

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                Ghoulish? I am giving my vote of confidence to this airplane! I'm sure that it'll be a success. That's not a high-stakes declaration: it already is.

747... 747... Ah, 747! You mean that model that was first delivered in 1970, with nearly 1500 units delvered, most of them after the JAL accident, of which the latest variant was first delivered about one year ago, and is still in production, that flew millons of flights, billions of miles and hundreds of millions of passenger having killed nearly 3000 of them in the process including 520 of the 524 persons on board Jal 123.
                                I also think itīll become a good plane, but it isnt a success. Many things need to be corrected, the introduction of the A380 was very smooth in comparison.
                                Did Boeing mismanage the construction of the 787?
                                Yes, grossly.
                                Did Boeing mess up with the budgeting of the 787?
                                Yes, grossly.
                                Will the 787 eventually become a good plane?
                                Most likely, but not for the shareholders nor subcontractors.
                                "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X